Anyone added any supplementary lighting?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

I'm conscious now as the winter evenings draw in that the PCX might benefit from some additional lighting.
I'm thinking of a small LED running lights or something like that.

Has anyone tried this?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Anyone added any supplementary lighting?

Post by gn2 »

I think the front lighting is adequate as is, but as with all bikes the rear would benefit from the addition of a fog light.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I've considered adding a strip of LEDs down the bottom-middle of the bike so that there is a white glow under my bike. I'm going to get my rims powdercoated white first though, assuming I can find somewhere that will do it at a reasonable cost (the local shop wanted over $500 for powdercoat :roll: ).

Any 12v kit for a car should work fine, just wire it up the same way you'd wire accessory plugs or heated grips. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

gn2 wrote:I think the front lighting is adequate as is, but as with all bikes the rear would benefit from the addition of a fog light.
I've often thought about that. Some of the red led lamps are quite small but bright nowadays. I might look into that.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Those LEDs are amazing for increasing visibility. Saw a bike a few weeks ago with two strips of LEDs running down the fronts of his fairing. Wasn’t much of an addition, but he was lit like a Christmas tree! Saw him a quarter of a mile away; not because his lights were bright, but because he stood out from the rows of others’ headlights.

I’ve already talked to my mechanic about supplementing with running lights. This is the time of year when you need maximum visibility. Hope to add some lighting soon.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Urbanian, if you want to go the DIY route, these are SUPER cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Strip-Flexible-Li ... y_e_text_y
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Urbanian wrote:
I’ve already talked to my mechanic about supplementing with running lights. This is the time of year when you need maximum visibility. Hope to add some lighting soon.
I can see my bike perfectly in the garage...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Enhanced visibility is good up to a point, which is that the drivers who are most likely to wipe you out will probably not be looking at you...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

maddiedog wrote:Urbanian, if you want to go the DIY route, these are SUPER cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Strip-Flexible-Li ... y_e_text_y
I’m not afraid of DIY, I built the apartment we live in with my very own bare hands (except I did wear gloves a lot too). But having a great scooter mechanic “on retainer” is a small luxury I happily pay for. You should have seen his eyes light up when I suggested adding LEDs. He wants to add a strobe feature to my brake light too.

The best feature of well-placed LEDs is that they illuminate the bike, not just provide more bright spots in the night. You could see the color of the fairing on the lit bike I saw. You knew it was a bike, not just a car with a headlight out.
Keebler Dwarf

Post by Keebler Dwarf »

I've been warned to avoid extra lighting as supposedly it plays havoc with the electrical system. Is that true?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Keebler Dwarf wrote:I've been warned to avoid extra lighting as supposedly it plays havoc with the electrical system. Is that true?

No
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Keebler Dwarf wrote:I've been warned to avoid extra lighting as supposedly it plays havoc with the electrical system. Is that true?
Yes.
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

Depends who wires it :lol:

Heres an option
Attachments
2011-Honda-PCX-front-XL.jpg
2011-Honda-PCX-front-XL.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

They need as many lights as possible if they are going to park in the middle of the road
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

No more than an accessory plug or heated grips would, probably even lesser so if you use LEDs.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

I’m satisfied with the stock headlights for road illumination. If I add lights it will be for BIKE illumination. I want everyone to see ME!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Urbanian wrote:I want everyone to see ME!
You need to dress like Bootsie Collins.
That'll get you noticed.
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

2x5W LEDs ordered.

watch this space 8)
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

I think adding extra lights just makes your bike look too bling and cheap personally!

If you have a top box, add reflective strips to it, make sure you have reflective clothing, let the cages light you up like a christmas tree rather than lighting your bike up like one I say.
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

figurehead71 wrote:I think adding extra lights just makes your bike look too bling and cheap personally!

If you have a top box, add reflective strips to it, make sure you have reflective clothing, let the cages light you up like a christmas tree rather than lighting your bike up like one I say.
It isnt to make it look like an Electra Glide. :roll:

Reflective strips arent a lot of use until someone lights them up. I am wanting to enhance the front visual impact to make me seen better to the vehicles doing the usual pulling out from the side road scenario and also when I am filtering.

It isn't for show - this is a 2 grand scooter after all :lol: