Insurance Query

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RedBaron

Insurance Query

Post by RedBaron »

So I've finally had the call to say my ride will be delivered to my Honda dealer on Tuesday. I'll be collecting it on the following Saturday.

When should I arrange the insurance? Should I do it now to avoid any potential increases or wait until a day or 2 before I collect it.

I already have the Registration number but obviously won't be DVLA registered yet so the plate number is not recognised on insurance websites.

This is all new to me so slightly confused
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Insurance Query

Post by chicaboo »

I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but in Aus you can get a "Cover Note" effective from a certain date, and after you pay the premium your policy officially starts.
But really, what's in a couple of days? So long as you have it sorted the day before you should be fine. Just remember that first ride home will be the toughest.
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by Chapel77 »

I rang up a week or so before I picked mine up last December, I just gave them the new registration number and they emailed my documents immediately to me with a start date when I was due to pick it up. With Bennett's Insurance, really easy, 5 minute phone call.

Good luck with your new scooter!
Living the Honda Dream!
Tomtic2
Year: 2022
Color: Black SH Mode

Post by Tomtic2 »

On a lot of price comparison websites if your registration number is not recognised you can enter details of your bike manually. These sites usually come up with the best price in my experience, but be honest with your answers. Make sure all your details are correct, as any later alterations may cost you ......often £30 a go!!!!
I'm loathe to promote one company over another, but as Chappel77 said Bennett's offer a good service.
mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

I usually insure a few weeks in advance. On the comparison/insurance sites just state Registration unknown and enter details manually. When you get cheapest quote, call them with the Reg number.

My cheapest quote was with Just Motorcycle Insurance.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I'll be ordering mine mid-February to get a 17 plate, the plan is to wait till I have the reg plate, and just contact my insurance company giving them notice when I want the policy to begin from. All standard practise.
aka DrewJW
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Ive just taken mine out. £725 with £600 excess
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

RedBaron wrote:Ive just taken mine out. £725 with £600 excess
How old are you! or is that common in London?
aka DrewJW
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

ScooteringAbout wrote:
I'm 38

That's was the cheapest and only real option.

All the others were starting at £1400 :o
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

WOW!! The UK must be very expensive.

I won't even throw in the numbers for Thailand because it is crazy cheap for basic insurance, but even for my 400cc Yamaha Majesty in the US, it is only $175 (£140) for the whole year. I am 58 years old.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

My PCX with $2000aud of modifications listed on the policy is only $216aud/yr for full comprehensive.
Unfortunately the companies that I have the PCX and VZ-R insured with are closing down, and I will have to go elsewhere.
I doubt I will find deals that good again anytime soon. :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

kramnala58 wrote:
WOW!! The UK must be very expensive.

I won't even throw in the numbers for Thailand because it is crazy cheap for basic insurance, but even for my 400cc Yamaha Majesty in the US, it is only $175 (£140) for the whole year. I am 58 years old.
Its not the UK, those are London prices.

Elsewhere its a very different story.
My new SV650 will cost me around £90 for a year's fully comprehensive insurance with protected no claims bonus.
No claims bonus is a discount given if you don't make a claim, after four years you can pay a small premium to protect this discount so that if you do have to make a claim you don't lose the discount.
I have the maximum no claims bonus which can be as much as 65% depending on which insurer I go with.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Sadly london is full of thieving scum. We are having a real major issue at the moment.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I went 3rd party as I took a chance any damage (and not claiming and having added premiums) would be cheaper in the long run than expensive comprehensive, any excess and added premiums - paid off for itself as 3 yr's insurance at 3rd party has worked out less than £400 all in. Saved well over a £1000 before any added costs.
Better to take a chance, drive carefully and keep looking for other idiots pulling out, etc, and invest in thick chains and good locks.
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

iceman wrote:I went 3rd party as I took a chance any damage (and not claiming and having added premiums) would be cheaper in the long run than expensive comprehensive, any excess and added premiums - paid off for itself as 3 yr's insurance at 3rd party has worked out less than £400 all in. Saved well over a £1000 before any added costs.
Better to take a chance, drive carefully and keep looking for other idiots pulling out, etc, and invest in thick chains and good locks.
I decided that fully comp was best for my 1st year. Ill go TPFT from year 2
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

RedBaron wrote:
iceman wrote:I went 3rd party as I took a chance any damage (and not claiming and having added premiums) would be cheaper in the long run than expensive comprehensive, any excess and added premiums - paid off for itself as 3 yr's insurance at 3rd party has worked out less than £400 all in. Saved well over a £1000 before any added costs.

Sometimes TPFT isn't a huge amount less.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

you you wrote:
RedBaron wrote:
Sometimes TPFT isn't a huge amount less.
It was when I started out on 2 wheels - 20+ years no claims for car did not help and only having 1st CBT meant fully comp was from £250-1300 (with excess added on in case of claims adding £1000-200 in that order). This year (3rd time) 3rd party was £100 where fully comp was about £180 minimum but with large excess and raised premiums for a claim (you need 5 years to get no claims protection). I keep the bike on a drive, hidden behind and locked to a car and it's in a security protected underground car park at work - does not help lower London premiums.
Mesh
Year: 2011

Post by Mesh »

RedBaron wrote:
ScooteringAbout wrote:
I'm 38

That's was the cheapest and only real option.

All the others were starting at £1400 :o
My insurance is £1400 a year.. But it's courier insurance though. London is kind of ridiculous in this respect, but what can you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

Hey all,

was annoyed when my insurance went up this year from £85 to £89 (tpft) dunno why. If you need courier insurance check out Tego(not an advertisment I promise) . They do courier insurance from 35 pence an hour. You log into their app and you only pay for hours that you're actualy working. I think it's only for U.K.
mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

RedBaron wrote: I decided that fully comp was best for my 1st year. Ill go TPFT from year 2
While I can see the reasoning to go fully comp in your first year, £600 excess is a stupidly high figure.

'IF' you do take a tumble, you're paying the first £600 in repair costs anyways, THEN you have to declare the claim for the next however many years, further increasing insurance costs.

I always go Third Party Fire Theft unless I have a super expensive bike, or the difference in price is fractional. If I bin it and nobody else is involved, that's my silly fault and I will stump up the repairs.

FWIW - I'm 31, TPFT (full licence but not ridden in 5 years) and paying £140 (with £250 excess).