Mobil 4T, suitable for PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Mobil 4T, suitable for PCX?

Post by doletotodole »

This is MA i guess? can't see MB or MA anywhere.
Fully synthetic.

Do you gents use this or other MA engine oil?
Is it better than that recommended on manual?

I am planning for a long haul trip with my new PCX, to Tibet, then desert, then Xinjiang then back to eastern seaboard at south China.

Does this oil sustain the long trip?

Thank you, gents.
Attachments
mobile sheet.png
mobile sheet.png (75.9 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
mobil cover.png
mobil cover.png (393.43 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Re: Mobil 4T, suitable for PCX?

Post by alx123 »

Your PCx is still new isn't it? Not a good idea to go fully synth yet, I think.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Doesn't get much better than that .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Doesn't get much better than that .

You could put a flake in it?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

This stuff will be fine, and is more than adequate.

Honda ships it with a synthetic blend, so ignore anyone saying (incorrectly) that you need to use non-synthetic until break-in is done.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

maddiedog wrote:This stuff will be fine, and is more than adequate.

Honda ships it with a synthetic blend, so ignore anyone saying (incorrectly) that you need to use non-synthetic until break-in is done.
Sir, what engine oil do you use? is there a consensus on which oil is the best for PCX?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

"The slippery kind works very well", gn2.

Seriously, after the first 1000km or break-in period, any full synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 will do.
If you want to get silly about it, the only oil I've seen clean the inside of an engine is Castrol Edge.
Is that what you want from an oil? I don't know, but it's very impressive for before and after shots.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well the one thing that I can say about full synthetics is that the engine seems happy, and that is what it is all about, isn't it? I recently purchased a used Volvo that had regular oil in it. It ran rough and our mechanic could find out why. The engine was quite sound and ran fine on the road. Well, I asked them to replace the oil with full synthetic because I always run full synthetic in my cars. Once the oil was replaced with full synthetic the car ran smooth, with no problems. I can say the same for my two PCX 150s. They run smooth and happy with full synthetic.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Mel46 wrote:Well the one thing that I can say about full synthetics is that the engine seems happy, and that is what it is all about, isn't it? I recently purchased a used Volvo that had regular oil in it. It ran rough and our mechanic could find out why. The engine was quite sound and ran fine on the road. Well, I asked them to replace the oil with full synthetic because I always run full synthetic in my cars. Once the oil was replaced with full synthetic the car ran smooth, with no problems. I can say the same for my two PCX 150s. They run smooth and happy with full synthetic.
Some cars have "hydraulic lifters" to operate the valves. Old crappy oil may make these stick, which would make your engine run bad.
You can usually spot hydraulic lifters by a clickety sound for a few seconds after you start the car until the oil is fully primed through them.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_tappet
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

doletotodole wrote: Sir, what engine oil do you use? is there a consensus on which oil is the best for PCX?
The PCX has a dry clutch and transmission (CVT), so you do not need motorcycle oil. I use synthetic 10w30, whichever brand is cheapest name-brand. I'm using Shell Rotella T 5w40 right now, it works great. The PCX can take 10w40 fine as long as it stays above freezing, and is actually better in hot climates.

I'll reiterate chicaboo reiterating gn2: "The slippery kind works very well" -- I'd add that synthetic slippery kind in w30 or w40 is best.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017

Post by GlassMan »

Personal preference....I use Royal Purple 10w40
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I haven't seen Marvel Mystery Oil mentioned yet as an additive here. I've used it in my vehicles. Not motorcycles due to the clutch. Not my 2-stroke scooter. But I'll bet it could be used in a PCX. The thing is the first time you use it the product really goes to work clearing out sludge and crap in those hard to reach places and when you do that next oil change it's very dark in color. Subsequent oil changes should improve in color. . .mine did after I started using it. . .as the engine just runs cleaner.

Some engines that have carbon issues can present problems like ticking valves. The Marvel Mystery Oil helps remove the carbon crud which results in quieter valves. I've experienced this first hand. It did work for me.

For further information you can check FAQ list here: http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/

They do claim it is compatible with synthetic oil. And since the PCX uses a CVT (unlike a motorcycle) I may try it when I get mine. Has anyone tried this in their PCX? :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I forgot to mention that I do use the Marvel Mystery Oil in my motorcycle gasoline and lawn mower gasoline and have had no problems with it.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Marvel Mystery Oil
Attachments
mac6.jpg
mac6.jpg (8.61 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Marvel Mystery Oil
It's on the same shelf as Samson Snake Oil.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

LOL!!! :lol:

That cracks me up. . .

Well. . .one thing about Marvel Mystery Oil is it absolutely will make the engine smell like Wintergreen Candies. . . o_O
Altoids.jpg
Altoids.jpg (7.65 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Marvel Mystery Oil contains - mineral oil, turpentine, and lard (pig fat). :roll:
I think I'll take my chances with regular high quality fully synthetic oil.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

It is just an additive. It smells like it's got oil of wintergreen in it. . .I also used it one time to free up a stuck piston from an engine that sat too long. It's not meant to be used by itself as "the engine oil". . .just as an additive. Now about the "Eye of newt and toe of frog" I'm not sure. :lol:
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I wouldn't use any of those ingredients as an additive to my oil or fuel, except straight mineral oil for break in of course.
Even Marvel Oil's own MSDS states the ingredients, but not in such exact proportions as an independent test went into.
If you're happy to use and smell it, great. But I've had similar success with Castrol Edge, which might not smell as good.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Yeah. . .there's a bunch of stuff in it including boron. . .the wintergreen is for scent but it does have cleaning properties. And there's a couple of different types of benzene as well I think. The list goes on and on and all the details. . .it may not be for everyone but I gotta say with a grin it did stop the ticking valve in my Jeep. The engine I have in it is a 4 cylinder and it's known to have carbon issues. Chrysler posted a Tech Service Bulletin back in 2004 to use a different spark plug to help prevent the problem. Carbon buildup seemed to be occurring with people who made short trips on cold days and didn't give the engine enough time to properly warm up. . .hence carbon problems. So after I started using the Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil and gas the problem permanently went away in about a week. When I did the first oil change after that it looked like black paint. . .tons of dissolved crap in it. That was when I had around 30,000 miles on it. Subsequent oil changes were never as dark. . .just what one would expect. . .plain old dirty oil. Now I've got close to 100,000 miles on it and it runs great. The front fenders are rusting but other than that I can't complain. :D

On another note. . .I've been using Castrol for years in my machines. . .just Castrol. I used to use what they called 20w50 Castrol Motorcycle Oil (non-synthetic) in my KLR, but now use the 10w40 conventional (non-synthetic) in both my KLR and Suzuki GSF 1200S. I generally change the oil twice a year and the filters once a year. I found the 20w50 was a bit too much for the KLR and I just started buying 10w40 by the case and used it for both bikes with good results.

I was thinking about sticking with a Castrol product for the Honda PCX when I got it and was going to bring up the subject at the time but from what you are telling me the "Edge" product is the way to go eh?. . .what do you use in yours. . .the 5w30 or 10w30? And would you say it was good from the git go once the factory supplied oil was changed out? Once I start with an oil I stay with it as to avoid non-compatibility problems with other brands/formulas. I planned on using synthetic in the PCX but have heard pros and cons about break in issues.