Weather/Wind Protection with Stock Windscreen & Front Cover

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Weather/Wind Protection with Stock Windscreen & Front Cover

Post by PCX150Rider »

I just did a search and it came up with a ton of results that weren't exactly what I was looking for. So to cut to the chase does anybody have any comments (good or not so good) about the wind and weather protection with the stock windscreen and front cover. Does the PCX keep cold air off your legs and knees to any degree? Where does the brunt of the wind hit you as it rolls off the wind screen? I'm considering getting a tall windscreen when I get mine but am willing to give it a go with the stock one to see if it's really necessary. I've got a full face helmet FWIW. Anyone used a product for cold weather riding called "Hippo Hands"? :|
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Weather/Wind Protection with Stock Windscreen & Front Co

Post by Gil »

What year PCX do you have?
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Tomtic2
Year: 2022
Color: Black SH Mode

Post by Tomtic2 »

Here in the UK most riders end up fitting a tall screen, especially in winter. My current PCX was bought from the dealer with just the stock screen, whereas my first PCX was bought with the (expensive) Honda tall screen. It was immediately apparent with the new bike that it offers a lot less protection that my earlier one. Since it was summer I kept it as it was, but once Autumn/Fall arrived I fitted an aftermarket Givi tall screen. It makes a great difference.
With the stock screen you get a lot of wind blast on your chest and a taller screen moves this blast up towards your helmet (or over if you are lucky!!!).
As far as leg/knee protection, I occasionally find in very cold weather that I move my legs inboard to protect them a little more, but this is a minor issue. However I do ride in leather motorbike trousers in winter. If you wear jeans you will feel the cold weather a lot more - but waterproof over trousers will help reduce this.
I think the Hippo's you mention are a version of motorbike muffs? I've used muffs on a number of bikes, but never really goit on with them. I've been using Buffalo winter gloves for a few years now which are as good as anything. However, I bought them one size larger than normal.......this means your fingers are not quite at the ends of the glove and that little gap seems to offer a bit more insulation strangely! Because there is no clutch control on the PCX the slightly larger gloves are not a hindrance as they would be on a motorbike where clutch feel is a lot more important.
I will finish and say that I ride in temperatures down to just a couple of degrees above freezing but no lower. The risks are a lot greater then.
Hope this helps.
Tom.
mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

I have ridden below zero in UK (with stock screen). Personally I don't have any issues with the stock screen, I'm 6'2 and wind hits me around chest/shoulder. I even use a flip lid and only really lower the visor when I go on 50-60mph roads. If you are planning on riding 50-60mph for an hour then get the screen. I ride 20-30 minutes at that speed and its fine. At 30mph wind is not an issue at all.

For me, cold weather riding essentials:

1. neck warmer/scalf - essential purchase. I bought a Edz Extra Warm Neck Warmer for about £10. Keeps wind off and is easy to slip on and off.
2. Heated Grips - Oxford Touring ones on mine. Had heated grips on previous bikes too. They are just so useful. You have to worry less about what gloves you buy as the grips will get HOT. Plus if it rains (which it does a lot) and you can't dry your gloves in time for the ride home, you will not notice the dampness or windchill with heated grips.
3. Waterproof trousers - I wear these over my jeans, but only if its raining or what I would deem properly cold (-5c or lower). Otherwise I just wear jeans. Buy a large size to fit over clothes and shoes. In case there's a downpour you can jump off and slip them over your shoes and jeans without having to remove shoes first.

Regarding lower half, my thighs get cold. Tucking in doesn't help, wind still reaches the legs. I would test normal screen first - I did and found it no problem. Personally I would always pick heated grips over a taller screen (I can layer up if its cold). Once my hands get cold it's hard to get them warm again.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think a lot of this discussion depends on how well acclimated you are to the cold of that region, and your riding style. I have known older riders who have Harleys and think wind protection is for sissies. ...and then there are the rest of us.

Very shortly after we picked up our first PCX (we have 2), I installed a tall Givi windshield because of the wind and windchill. Now both of our bikes have the tall windshield that stays on through all seasons. It helps a lot. As for the rest of our body, i.e. the legs, we have to layer up, but I have been reading about a sort of 'blanket' that you can attach to the bike for winter use. It is called a Termoscud lap apron. Look it up. I think you would be quite warm with one of those.

https://www.amazon.com/Apron-Cover-Term ... +lap+apron
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks for all your valued information. . .

I had a longer reply but timed out and had to start over again. :lol:

This windscreen seems to get reviews as well. ..

http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/s ... 50003.html

When I get my PCX. . .probably in August. . .could be a 2018 by then. . .not sure. . .I'm just going to buy it stock and ride a while before I make the leap to a taller wind screen based on what I've read here today. I'll probably take longer rides with it compared to the scooter I have now so I'm sure a taller wind screen for rides over 20 minutes would be a nice thing to have.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

You can get these for the LED: http://japan.webike.net/products/22641463.html
They used to have them for the OWL too, but I guess they sold out and are EOL?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Those side visors look interesting. They look like they wouldn't be too difficult to install either. A coating of Armor All or Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant and they'd be showroom quality. 8)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

The Japlish reads that you hold them on with double-sided tape and 3 screws per side.
I'm not crazy about the idea of screwing them on, but if you could get strong tape, that's all you'd need.
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Carl »

I have a tall screen, heated grips, lever covers and muffs to keep the cold off me. It works well.

I even like the look of the muffs now.

More info on my owners thread:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5725
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Kent is in the South of England. . .not too far from the Channel right? It must get cool there sometimes judging by your collection of cold weather gear. Lever covers and muffs. . .wow! :geek:
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Carl »

Its not that bad, but I spend over an hour each way commuting so need to be comfy. For me the twist and go is the best feature given the traffic in central London. We've had some mornings at -6c recently. Its more wet than proper cold and the right warm and dry gear is essential.

This happened on the 12/1/17 and I got caught out big time! It wasn't fun at the time, but in hindsight...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-kent-38587935

Last 11 miles of my commute took me 2 hours that day. Sleet turned into very, very heavy snow within 2 or so miles of very fast (70mph/3 lane road). I left work early at 4pm to try and get home before it was forecast at 7pm. When I left Westminster it was torrential rain so thought even if it did snow it wouldn't stick. How wrong was I - I'm not normally wrong :)

I kept it shiny side up (just!) and wouldn't recommend riding a PCX in snow. Any rear brake locks the wheel and engage the clutch too quickly had the same effect. Those 11 miles were at a walking pace. Feet down like snow skis and what ever you do dont stop. Starting again...

Looked like this by the time I made it home. Very cold, damp and to a grumpy wife who was full of 'told you so' smugness:

Note the BMW in the garage :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It is interesting that the Japanese are just now offering the side visors. I made side visors from Plexiglas for both of our bikes back in 2013-2014. They broke when we had our accident, so their replacements are sitting on a shelf in the basement right now. They held quite well with colored duct tape (red for our bikes. There were a lot of shades of red to choose from so we brought a spare part into the hardware store to compare against their selection of tape.) Since ours is a 2013 model the side 'V' was not closed up and had a turn signal post sticking out there. I cut some black Styrofoam in the shape of a sideways 'V' so that it fit around the front of the turn signal, and I taped it down with a strip of red duct tape. I then added a 'C' shaped piece of Plexiglas to the back of the turn signal posts and used clear duct tape to attach it to the other piece of Plexiglas that makes the triangle. To protect my paint I used automobile door protection molding on the edges of the Plexiglas. We rode for over a year with them in place. They looked good and worked fine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hey Mel, Daytona have been making the side visors for years, but I think since the LED has been out for a while now, the OWL visors have long since stopped production and you can only buy what is left on the shelf. Not an easy prospect for such a niche product.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I've ridden in snow but have to say you've got me beat. That pic say's it all. . .and quite a story.

Did you have to cross any train tracks? Those can be really dangerous in bad weather if you don't approach them straight on (not at an angle).

You should print that pic and frame it. ;)

Nice BMW. Did you ever get to the Isle of Man and get to see some really good racing? Makes me think of Joey and Robert Dunlop. I've watched the Isle of Man TT 2000 many times. . .

When I hear the names Dunlop and Sheene it brings back memories.

I've got a Bandit GSF 1200S for sport touring. . .1998. . .it'll be 20 years old soon. Still runs great. Put a Rifle 22 inch wind screen on it and it fits perfect. I can just look over the top. Also have an '88 Kawasaki KLR 650. Bought it new as well and yes it's going on 30 years old. Runs great. When I get the PCX I figure I'll have the perfect combination of bikes to suit my needs. :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The concept is sound and I could see a market for those side visors, but not at that price. Unfortunately, even if someone in the United States purchased a set of those side visors they would have to modify them for the turn signal stocks. It could work on the newer LED model but if they are only selling remaining stock then there won't be many of them around soon. I could work with those particular ones and modify them, but at $100 that is quite a gamble if something went wrong. Still, I do like those. I even thought about turning that spare space into a sort of storage compartment.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

PCX150Rider wrote: When I hear the names Dunlop and Sheene it brings back memories.
Barry Sheene was my boyhood motorcycling hero as a kid. A little later on it was Wayne Gardner (which will be expressed on my scooter).
Mel46 wrote:The concept is sound and I could see a market for those side visors, but not at that price. Unfortunately, even if someone in the United States purchased a set of those side visors they would have to modify them for the turn signal stocks. It could work on the newer LED model but if they are only selling remaining stock then there won't be many of them around soon. I could work with those particular ones and modify them, but at $100 that is quite a gamble if something went wrong. Still, I do like those. I even thought about turning that spare space into a sort of storage compartment.
Unless they start making them in Thailand (unlikely due to climate) they will always be an exclusive part from Japan. :|

Outside of North America we don't have the turn signal stalks and have the turn signals in the top part of the OWL ears.
It makes for a clean look and then there's nothing to break off if you drop the scooter.
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Matt Black

Post by Geoffers »

I had a tall screen here in Uk. It broke at a service (nothing to do with the servicing garage, nosiree, no sir, just one of them coincidences when a main dealer meets a THIRD PARTY ADD-ON).

Ahem. You know what? UK winter weather is typically in the -1C to + 10C range. I notice the difference from not having my tall screen anymore, but for a 10 mile commute in built-up traffic the difference isn't worth fighting with. Put on a warmer jacket and suck it up.

Assess your needs. Assess them properly. A nice thing will feel nice, but do you really need it?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well you may FEEL like the tall windshield is not a necessity, but when the wind is cutting through you like a knife, and you can't feel your fingers, you NEED one.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Well you may FEEL like the tall windshield is not a necessity, but when the wind is cutting through you like a knife, and you can't feel your fingers, you NEED one.
You forgot about the nose icing. . . :lol:

My current scooter has nothing extra for weather protection so I just grin and bear it. I also limit my riding distance around town to within "it's not fun anymore" range. When it gets below 0 degrees Centigrade I generally take the car. When I get my new PCX later this year I'm going to try it for a winter season with the cold weather gear I use right now to see how it goes. If I find I am extending my range and think it would be worth the money to add a windshield I know a nice one I'll order online. The windshield I have on my Bandit is totally great. . .especially when it rains. I never bought any handle covers for it because it's a Sport Touring machine and I didn't want anything to clutter up my control area. That being said the handle covers on my KLR really do seem to make a difference. An added benefit to the handle covers and windshield on any scooter or motorcycle is that if you are more comfortable and less occupied by the thought of how soon you'll be at your destination to warm up, you'll be more focused on your riding and increase your odds of arriving safely. Just a theory. :geek: