k2apache's 6.0 2013 PCX Mod thread

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: k2apache's 6.0 2013 PCX Mod thread

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Some forks have screw tops, others are a plug held in with a circlip. The damper rods have to be drilled out to pass enough oil to let the PDD valves take over damping duty, in effect making the damper rod redundant.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

Ah, if they unscrew one should be able to change the fluid to a higher viscosity as well! Hmmm
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Doesn't matter if they unscrew or not, the oil is changeable obviously. When you install the PDD valves you'll need to change the oil. I chose Motul 15w over the stock 10w. If you need a better explaination as to 'how to' PM me and I'll give you my ph number. 10 mins on the phone saves reams of back and forth written text
My PCX mod build here..
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

k2apache6.0 wrote:
ScottDR wrote:Hey Apache. I'm not having any luck searching the forums for YSS fork valves. Are they hard to install? Are they available in North America? Thanks!
Yeah, not easy to find. A seller from the UK has them, he's on ebay in the states too though. They are also known as PDD valves.
Installation is easy but requires some drilling and a little guesswork setting the valves depending on your weight, I think I only needed 2 1/2 turns in on the screws from 1st spring contact for my 190lbs clothed weight. You'll also have to drill out your damper rod holes to about 3/8" and chamfer the holes from burrs. The valves will now take over damping duties from the damping holes in the rods. Next is setting the spring pressure on the valves themselves, more screw turns In for fatter folks. Oyabun (I think) has a tutorial on here somewhere, or send him a PM. He helped me out when I had a question or two about mine.
With the fork valves and YSS uprated springs there was a good improvement at the front end, much better over sharp edged bumps and much less dive under braking.
Hello folks,
Not as regular here as I used to be, but still around. The original front suspension upgrade topic is http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4877
And Mario's picture filled excellent installation write-up - followed by further explanation how front suspension valving works: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5344

Just a minor correction.
The PD valve works only on the compression stroke of the forks, rebound is still controlled by the original damper rod - that's why one has to bump up the fork fluid viscosity.
Happy to help if you have any questions.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

There you go, thanks again Oyo for the link.
My PCX mod build here..
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Awesome, thank you Oyo! I had no luck searching. Cheers!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
neb4152
Regular User
Regular User

Post by neb4152 »

k2apache6.0 wrote:Performance upgrades are NCY super transmission kit (only the variator and rear driven pulley used), and the suspension mods shown and described. Any questions feel free to ask. All the best for the new year PCX'ers. Keep calm and carry on modding :)
Just installed my kit today. Still breaking it in. Roller weights? Not so sure about my 13s but it's only day 1. You use the original clutch and bell? Black 1000 rpm spring? Remember those instructions that came with the kit about the clutch pulley angle of rotation? Tried both.
No benefits one over the other for me yet. Tried both briefly. Settled on 45°. Done with mods for a while on my 2013. Exhaust and shocks eventually
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Yeah I used the original (OE) Clutch and bell since I only had about 3k on them at the time.. I tried the NCY 1000rpm spring and didnt like it, any amount of revs and the scoot would move, so the only parts I used were the variator assy and the rear driven face. My scoot has almost 12k on it now so maybe next week I'll put on a new belt and try the NCY clutch pack and bell while I'm at it. As far as the angle thing I didn't mess with it, just put it on as it came in the box. The only thing I did was packed it in moly grease where the parts slide together.
I liked the 13g NCY rollers as do most here, and with a new belt and rollers got much better acceleration and a top speed of 72mph.
My PCX mod build here..
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

Those mirrors are a work of art! The stalks look better with your mod, and the backs--what an improvement! I don't mind the tribal pattern, but the faux bolts suck. The other mods are also very smart, the mirrors are simply over the top due to your redesign! Awesome job!
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Thank you!
My PCX mod build here..
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

K2 Rocks!! Yes, I said it Again :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

K2, I have a question for you. I'm considering doing the YSS front springs and changing fork oil to 20W from the OE 10W. That way the springs will hold up my North American girth more AND be better dampened.

Second, looking at YSS Z series XL. As long as they bolt right on to my '13 I think the combo would be great and forego the need for rebound/compression adjusters.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

The springs will definately help, the Z series XL shocks have worked well for Glen on his scooter and yes its a straight swap.
My PCX mod build here..
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Much appreciated. Cheers!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Heres a look at the KOSO mini tach install
Attachments
P8030399.JPG
P8030399.JPG (60.28 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
My PCX mod build here..
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

k2apache6.0 wrote:Black swing arm cover, custom oil fill cap, and freshly installed YSS G-Plus rear shocks. Also a good view of custom undertail/fender eliminator. License plate frame has built in LED lights
Question: Have you replaced the rear drum brake with a disk ? Or am I mistaken ?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

OldGuywhoTinkers wrote:
k2apache6.0 wrote:Black swing arm cover, custom oil fill cap, and freshly installed YSS G-Plus rear shocks. Also a good view of custom undertail/fender eliminator. License plate frame has built in LED lights
Question: Have you replaced the rear drum brake with a disk ? Or am I mistaken ?
No, just the stock drum brake
My PCX mod build here..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

k2apache6.0,

I have done some upgrades on my bike, as you know, but I have not done anything with the brakes because that is an area that I do not feel confident to touch. I bought replacement front pads for my wife's bike but have not installed them yet. I will probably have the shop put them on when I bring it in to have the rear brake shoes replaced and the brake fluid changed.

My question for you is, if I want the shop to use DOT 4 now instead of the original (I think DOT 3), do they need to change the lines to metal or something that can handle the new stuff, or are the original lines still acceptable?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Mel said:
"My question for you is, if I want the shop to use DOT 4 now instead of the original (I think DOT 3), do they need to change the lines to metal or something that can handle the new stuff, or are the original lines still acceptable?"

Mel, I have gone beyond that mod on a previous machine, Yamaha FJ-1200. I had no problems just bleeding it all through. I have to say though, all my lines were in good condition and the caliper seals had been changed about a year prior to doing the job. Anyway I had no problems whatsover with the switchover to DOT 5!..YES not even DOT 4, but DOT 5 which is hardly similar to DOT 3 at all, being silicone based (It wont strip paint and is very high temp resistant). So with that said you will almost assuredly have no problems going from DOT 3 to DOT 4 at all. No need to cahnge anything, Just bleed it through until you only have clean fluid coming out.
My PCX mod build here..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Thanks!! I want my bikes to be as safe as they can be.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers