Help! my PCX keyless remote no response...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Help! my PCX keyless remote no response...

Post by doletotodole »

I stopped for a beverage on my way home, and was never able to wake it up. have to push it all the way home, real pain.

The start system just won't respond. move it a few yards no response, let move it still no response.

the PCX is brand new with only 150km, press the remote, lights on showing battery is good, but the scoot just won't respond.

Two details:
1. most of times I press the start button on my PCX down, no light, however, once in a while it lights up at "fuel/seat" which is the slot I left the button on when I leave the scoot mostly. at this point, I turn the button clockwise to ignition, this is when the control pannel is supposed to light up, but, on the contrary, the whole system went dead, afterwards remain dead.

2. most of times, I press any of the 3 buttons on the remote, no response, but once in a while, when I press the wake up button on the remote, the start button on the PCX lights up, please note that at this time, the start button is NOT pressed down, then, I tried to press it down, and turn it to ignition, no good.

Could you gents shed some lights on this?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Help! my PCX keyless remote no response...

Post by homie »

Unfortunately you are one of the few gents who have the remote key PCX. It will be some time before there is any data base to access about faults and troubleshooting the new feature. This is why it's very important you follow up on your perils, make the dealer explain in detail what has happened and how it was reset so we all benefit please... counting on you. I don't want one if you have to push :(
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

More reasons to keep with the old trusted and simple key system - more gadgetry to go wrong, the issue or a coded replacement should the original fail or you somehow lose it, batteries running out (ok, carry one on you or in the glove box but still). Like modern cars - great when they run but so much harder to sort when you get problems.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Honda Thailand provided me with an emergency tow service number when I'm in trouble. Never experienced this problem using my remote though, fortunately. Hope you will have it fixed soon. Keep us updated
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

I have to coincide with the iceman-modern technology has it's benefits-But!
it can be a pain in the butt.
If manufacture's want to sell this stuff to you- they should make the diagnostics
readily available. Some simple software and a plug for linking a device to any home computer should be included the purchase. I did get a tool kit with my PCX, a screwdriver.
Not much help when they load your vehicle with modern electronics.
and I'm not being too much helping doletodole's dilemma.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by doletotodole »

My PCX is only 100 mileage. This problem occurred 4 times. Last night was the worst, no matter how madly I tackled it, the PCX just wouldn't wake up.

I tested it again just now, first, same old symptom, turn the switch to ignition, went dead. I walked away and back in 2 minutes, pust down, light on, Okay, then came the moment of truth, turned to ignition, ALL light up, system on. I tried for another three cycles on/off, all Okay.

this sporadic problem is very painful, because one day I will have to push the scoot from mid of mountain.

and there is no deals to seek help, only the seller my only last resort.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

You mentioned that the panel lights is not turning on, it could be the scoot's battery that's dead and not the remote's.

If it's me, Ill return that to the dealer and let em fix the problem. I don't know what are the consumer laws in your country but you're surely entitled for a warranty.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by doletotodole »

Video footage showing the problem:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTg3NjQ4NTQ0NA==.html
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I would start with the bike battery. If it has a bad cell it will work sometimes and at other times it won't. While you are riding it is charging, but once you stop riding it starts draining. That is the nature of batteries. If it has a bad cell it will not charge that cell, so it will already have a disadvantage. If it sits overnight or in the cold it's chance of working correctly go down. You do not know how long the bike was in the crate or the battery was on the shelf before you purchased it. Change the bike battery AND the remote battery. Most remotes use the button batteries like the CR2032, which can be purchased just about anywhere these days.
If you can't take the bike to the dealer you will have to learn to take care of the bike. Changing the battery is a good start.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Make sure the side stand is up, turn off idle stop if you've been using it, and charge the battery.
It that doesn't work you'll have to find an auto-electrician since it's an illegal import with no dealer support.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by doletotodole »

Mel46 wrote:I would start with the bike battery. If it has a bad cell it will work sometimes and at other times it won't. While you are riding it is charging, but once you stop riding it starts draining. That is the nature of batteries. If it has a bad cell it will not charge that cell, so it will already have a disadvantage. If it sits overnight or in the cold it's chance of working correctly go down. You do not know how long the bike was in the crate or the battery was on the shelf before you purchased it. Change the bike battery AND the remote battery. Most remotes use the button batteries like the CR2032, which can be purchased just about anywhere these days.
If you can't take the bike to the dealer you will have to learn to take care of the bike. Changing the battery is a good start.
Thank you, Sir, your advise could be helpful.
you mentioned I don't know how long the scoot has been in the crate, this points to low battery as the cause, or worse the orignial battery is bad.

By the way, do you know how long it takes to fully charge the battery by riding it when the battery is very very low.

Thank you again.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by doletotodole »

Mel46 wrote:I would start with the bike battery. If it has a bad cell it will work sometimes and at other times it won't. While you are riding it is charging, but once you stop riding it starts draining. That is the nature of batteries. If it has a bad cell it will not charge that cell, so it will already have a disadvantage. If it sits overnight or in the cold it's chance of working correctly go down. You do not know how long the bike was in the crate or the battery was on the shelf before you purchased it. Change the bike battery AND the remote battery. Most remotes use the button batteries like the CR2032, which can be purchased just about anywhere these days.
Thank you. I don't use the idle stop and the side stand I reckon does not stop the light and FI system from starting up.
auto electrician is a option, thanks.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hey Dole, I recently read that no amount of riding can fully charge your battery, and that riding will only maintain it.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

chicaboo wrote:Hey Dole, I recently read that no amount of riding can fully charge your battery, and that riding will only maintain it.
The alternator (idle/stop hybrid motor) should be able to keep the battey in top condition even if the idle-stop is used as the ECU is supposed to diable idle-stop if the battery volts and discharge line goes too low at any point - and the bike should keep going day to day. However, many chargers put out more than 12v's to start with and drop as the battery charges so maybe there is still truth in that for poor batteries - which are basically faulty or tired anyway.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by doletotodole »

iceman wrote:
chicaboo wrote:Hey Dole, I recently read that no amount of riding can fully charge your battery, and that riding will only maintain it.
The alternator (idle/stop hybrid motor) should be able to keep the battey in top condition even if the idle-stop is used as the ECU is supposed to diable idle-stop if the battery volts and discharge line goes too low at any point - and the bike should keep going day to day. However, many chargers put out more than 12v's to start with and drop as the battery charges so maybe there is still truth in that for poor batteries - which are basically faulty or tired anyway.
OK, based on what you and the gent above said, I should go to the repair shop around the corner to check the integrity of the bike.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

doletotodole wrote:
iceman wrote:
OK, based on what you and the gent above said, I should go to the repair shop around the corner to check the integrity of the bike.
The above is from a page in the service manual describing how the idle-stop works - it may have changed on the new '17 bikes but I doubt it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Note that on automotive batteries it takes about 10 miles of driving to recharge it the amount lost from when you first started a vehicle. Stop and go with the idle stop can drain more than is recharged if you do too much stopping. The idle stop circuit was improved from when it was first introduced because there were so many problems with the battery being discharged without enough riding being done to recharge what was pulled from the battery during so many stops. Now, as I understand it, the circuit will disengage idle stop if the battery is too low.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

The poster here tells everyone here that there is a problem with the keyless start or remote which I believe to be TOTALLY WRONG.

The problem sounds like a weak battery, or loose battery cable , that does not have enough power to start the bike, but has enough power some of the other things that draw far less power...

For those bashing the keyless starting, a scooter with a weak battery will not start with a key either, it has NOTHING to do with a keyless system or not. I have keyless / push button starting on my cars, and I LOVE it. I wish all my bikes had it also.

Mike
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by doletotodole »

JetPilot wrote:The poster here tells everyone here that there is a problem with the keyless start or remote which I believe to be TOTALLY WRONG.

The problem sounds like a weak battery, or loose battery cable , that does not have enough power to start the bike, but has enough power some of the other things that draw far less power...

For those bashing the keyless starting, a scooter with a weak battery will not start with a key either, it has NOTHING to do with a keyless system or not. I have keyless / push button starting on my cars, and I LOVE it. I wish all my bikes had it also.

Mike
Hi, Mike,
You could be very correct. I started the scoot last night, when I turned to ignition, I saw a flash on the control panel then it darkened down, however, in a split second the whole system went on, the paneal light up, the front LED on.

I think, as you said, turning to ignition is the critical point requiring the most power.
I am going to check the battery status this weekend, hopefully, it will be sorted.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

Hi Doletotodole,

The most likely problems:

1. Check for loose battery cable, very easy and quick.

2. Maybe your battery is defective ( It happens even in new batteries sometimes ).

The charging system could have a problem but much less likely.

Mike