New (soon to be) Owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Red

New (soon to be) Owner

Post by Chapel77 »

Hello, a quick introduction if I may!

Due to pick up my PCX in the middle of December, a nice xmas present to myself.

Have been riding scooters for the past 17 years, all 50cc on my car licence. Have never needed a larger capacity scooter as I mainly commute / potter around on local roads. Due to work commitments, I now need to travel that bit further, too far / takes too longer on my 50cc, but I don't like being stuck in traffic in my car. So I have bit the bullet, am doing my CBT and moving up in the world.

Am paying list price of £2699, however the dealer / Honda have a deal for free CBT, and I got a great trade in price for my present scooter, so I'm happy. The dealer had a couple of used PCX in stock, but not much difference in cost when you figure in CBT, warranty etc, surprised how well they hold their value.

Will be keeping it stock for the time being, not a fan of top boxes, but each to their own. If extra luggage space needed may go for a tunnel bag.

Will update when I take delivery with first impressions etc.

Look forward to reading through the forum and picking up some useful information!
Living the Honda Dream!
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: New (soon to be) Owner

Post by eggman »

don't forget you need a bs title I can get you one for half price. I amjust messing with u hope u love ur pcx I know u will
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

;) Nice "selfie" Christmas prezzie! Congrats on spoiling yerself (why not!) and welcome to our forum(s)! When you or after you get it, please post a photo(s).
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

WhiteNoise wrote:;) Nice "selfie" Christmas prezzie! Congrats on spoiling yerself (why not!) and welcome to our forum(s)! When you or after you get it, please post a photo(s).
Thanks for the welcome, will post photos once I collect it (her /him, not sure how to refer to it yet, my 50's have always been 'her'!).
Living the Honda Dream!
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by Lafree »

Hi welcome, good choice red that's what I wanted but 7week wait at the time so 2nd choice white, you say you are not a fan of top boxes can you tell me why ugly or they slow you down, regards Lafree
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

congrats in advance, mine is four months old and everything is still stock. I don't find the need for a top box for now too, since I'm using this only to go to work and around the city.

Btw, white is awesome..lol
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

Lafree wrote:Hi welcome, good choice red that's what I wanted but 7week wait at the time so 2nd choice white, you say you are not a fan of top boxes can you tell me why ugly or they slow you down, regards Lafree
Space consideration mostly, they stick out and up too much to get my garage door shut. And they spoil the design of the scooter.

But that's only my opinion, and I appreciate others will think otherwise!!!
Living the Honda Dream!
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

alx123 wrote:congrats in advance, mine is four months old and everything is still stock. I don't find the need for a top box for now too, since I'm using this only to go to work and around the city.

Btw, white is awesome..lol
Similar reason, don't need the extra space, used to cramming my stuff in a 50cc scooter, I will be lost for space with the PCX! Plus, as mentioned in this thread, not a fan of top boxes.
Living the Honda Dream!
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

Only 15 sleeps to go, should I feel guilty for looking forward to this more than Christmas?!
Living the Honda Dream!
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by eggman »

u will love it and it will last you 10or more years there greatlil rides
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

So took scooter out for a last ride, had it for 5 years and it has been (nearly) faultless. So now it's time to give it a good clean before I pick up my PCX next week.

Cannot wait!!!
Living the Honda Dream!
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

After a bit of a problem with my CBT course being cancelled, I managed to get another one sorted at a days notice. Having to change my insurance back to my old scooter, then back again for my PCX, at least the dealer refunded the admin costs.

So I have my PCX, first impression - nice!

Got her home, rinsed her off and a coat of ACF50 applied over the exposed metal parts.

Looking forward to getting through the running in period, and then exploring and enjoying rides out.

Here's to a good few years of enjoyment!
Living the Honda Dream!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Chapel77 wrote:After a bit of a problem with my CBT course being cancelled, I managed to get another one sorted at a days notice. Having to change my insurance back to my old scooter, then back again for my PCX, at least the dealer refunded the admin costs.
Got her home, rinsed her off and a coat of ACF50 applied over the exposed metal parts.
Looking forward to getting through the running in period, and then exploring and enjoying rides out.
Thumbs Up 01.png
Thumbs Up 01.png (159.34 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

Chapel77 wrote:After a bit of a problem with my CBT course being cancelled, I managed to get another one sorted at a days notice. Having to change my insurance back to my old scooter, then back again for my PCX, at least the dealer refunded the admin costs.

You are not doing your scooter any good by using the outdated " Running In Period ". Educate yourself a bit, and take 5 minutes to read this article. I use this on all my new bikes and have confirmed it to be accurate. Almost all the aluminum powder I get out of the oil is in the first 50 miles, exactly as this guy says. REALITY: The first thing 90 % of riders want to know is how fast their scooter or motorcycle is, and go full throttle for a bit on the first ride. If this were wrong, almost EVERY bike and scooter would be burning oil, etc. etc.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Mike
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JetPilot wrote:

You are not doing your scooter any good by using the outdated " Running In Period ". Educate yourself a bit, and take 5 minutes to read this article. I use this on all my new bikes and have confirmed it to be accurate. Almost all the aluminum powder I get out of the oil is in the first 50 miles, exactly as this guy says. REALITY: The first thing 90 % of riders want to know is how fast their scooter or motorcycle is, and go full throttle for a bit on the first ride. If this were wrong, almost EVERY bike and scooter would be burning oil, etc. etc.

Mike

God give me strength....
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

you you wrote:
JetPilot wrote:

Mike

God give me strength....

Which bit is of exasperation to you, the manufacturer advice or the 'jump on and rag the arse off it' opinion? The only bit I take issue with is the 'Educate yourself....' A bit of a cheek as my education and life experiences are not known!!!!
Living the Honda Dream!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmm....Bits of misunderstanding here and there in this thread. Please try to clarify meanings of what's being said. I was following along and then....Poof! I'm lost in the woods.
It's a Big world out there, and we come from all over it to meet up right here. Let's try harder to understand one another.
2017 about to Roll In!
Patience n Peace :P
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hmm....Bits of misunderstanding here and there in this thread. Please try to clarify meanings of what's being said. I was following along and then....Poof! I'm lost in the woods.
It's a Big world out there, and we come from all over it to meet up right here. Let's try harder to understand one another.
2017 about to Roll In!
Patience n Peace :P
Sometimes it's difficult to judge the tone and intent of a post, but when someone tells me to educate myself when they know nothing about me or my circumstances, it's just a bit off.

There are many views as to how to run in a car, 'bike, scooter etc and we each have our own views, watching a video online from one random person doesn't change my opinion. I value my own experience, that of the manufacturers literature and my circle of friends and colleagues who include 'bike mechanics, that's where I seek advice.

I may, or may not be wrong, we each have our own valid opinions, but the whole 'educate yourself' tone, to insinuate I lack intelligence, to me is unwarranted.
Living the Honda Dream!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I understand and agree. Please know that my input was not directed at any one person.
We all do what we want to do in the end. Breaking in a scoot or whatever. We may ask for advice from others and if we do, we should be ready for all kinds of responses. Not always What we expect or Want to read or hear.
I ask for peace and harmony tis all.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

In my opinion the moto man has some good points but very inaccurate in others. For example, when the fire occurs pressure is forced equally down on the ring both in front of and in back of the ring.It does not force it against the wall like he thinks more likely to force it inward towards the piston but the pressure will be applied equally to both sides. many engine tuners think that a fast hard run will break in the rings sooner , but not necessarily true.Same as if you were to file down a burr would it come off faster if you move the file faster. No, it wont it will take just so many passes to remove that same amount of metal fast or slow.In modern day engines there is a slight wear in period but once that wear is evenly distributed the rings will ride on an molecular oil sheet and no longer touches the metal cylinder wall. Fast or slow this wear in period will not change . It is based on revolutions and not on how hard you work the engine.Many tuners believe that the best approach is to moderately stress a new engine and most importanty to vary the RPMs so that the rings will seat more evenly.