rideing the pcx in the rain?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

rideing the pcx in the rain?

Post by eggman »

is it safe to do so? we are ina droght here so have not had to ride in the rain but I want rain we need it so bad .is the pcx safe in the rain?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Re: rideing the pcx in the rain?

Post by DAB »

eggman wrote:is it safe to do so? we are ina droght here so have not had to ride in the rain but I want rain we need it so bad .is the pcx safe in the rain?
The PCX is, but is the rider?
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

I mean does it slip and slide all over the road?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Never do it... unless you are living in the UK. They are checked out on crazy cold and rain riding.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

It's up to the rider to assess the road condition, No vehicle can be ridden the same in the wet as in the dry. The PCX is as good as anything in the wet.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

yeah I rode it sunday it was 37 degrees I was so cold but at first I had no gloves I felt like id get frost bite
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

homie wrote:Never do it... unless you are living in the UK. They are checked out on crazy cold and rain riding.
It's even worse in the winter.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

If ridden slow it's ok, the main concern is road visibility. Iv'e ridden bike during a storm in Philippines, not a smart decision but it is possible. Reduce speed and invest in good tires. Avoid floods. But better yet, don't do it...Wait for the rain to stop..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

If you can possibly do it, when entering into a turn try to keep the bike straight up-and-down and don't lean into the turn. That's when you can lose traction. Obviously that means you take turns a lot slower.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

I'm okay with riding in rain, but not in thunder and lightning.

The biggest thing is to keep yourself dry, because it's not safe if you're shivering.
I use a rain jacket and a lap blanket in the mild winters here.

And as others have said, you need to ride very conservatively.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Been riding the PCX for 2.5 yr's every week day all year round in all kinds of weather - on IRC tyres and still on the originals. Never had a problem but I don't try and emulate scraping my knee's on the tarmac doing an in-town turn like some seem to do :) - no issues at all. Only time the rear plays up is when it's lost quite a few psi (mine loses about 5-7psi every few months) or when I'm turning on a wet grate - but then I know I'm doing that and take it easy.

The past few days we've had heavy and almost continual rain across much of the UK, London as many places has suffered flooded roads, has loads of deep pot holes and bits of rubble as the roads don't seem to get cleaned anymore - and no issues with the PCX riding in such conditions (there was also strong winds too which is one of the main troubles with the light weight of the PCX)
wrighty
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White fastest!

Post by wrighty »

iceman wrote:Been riding the PCX for 2.5 yr's every week day all year round in all kinds of weather - on IRC tyres and still on the originals. Never had a problem but I don't try and emulate scraping my knee's on the tarmac doing an in-town turn like some seem to do :) - no issues at all. Only time the rear plays up is when it's lost quite a few psi (mine loses about 5-7psi every few months) or when I'm turning on a wet grate - but then I know I'm doing that and take it easy.

The past few days we've had heavy and almost continual rain across much of the UK, London as many places has suffered flooded roads, has loads of deep pot holes and bits of rubble as the roads don't seem to get cleaned anymore - and no issues with the PCX riding in such conditions (there was also strong winds too which is one of the main troubles with the light weight of the PCX)
Good post, pretty much agree with all that.

I've been riding mine for just less than a month and the Rain hasn't bothered me to be honest - just took turns slower BUT the strong winds that's another story :o
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

Not a big fan of riding scooters in the rain due to weight distribution of scooters in general. There is just not enough weight on the front end like a motorcycle which I gives me confidence in the rain cause the weight is much more 50/50 front and back.
:geek:
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Matt Black

Post by Geoffers »

I also agree with Iceman. I ride all year round in Northwest England without any real problem. You just need to accelerate and brake in straight lines, watch your surface for white lines, leaves, potholes & such, and don't lean into your turns. It shouldn't need saying, but the PCX is not a performance bike and trying to get your knee down, even on a sunny day, is a recipe for unpleasantness. Mine has by far the least traction of any bike I've owned since my 1985 Honda Spacy 125 (and I loved that thing - heated vents in the footwell, digital dash, pop-up headlight - great bike)

But ye gods, it was windy yesterday. I was getting blown all over the place.
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

yip,

like many others in the U.K. I ride all year round and can say as usual wet or dry the biggest danger is other peoples driving

slow down more (more than that) for bends ,do not accelerate hard even in a straight line and leave twice as much room for braking

you should be fine apart from the afore mentioned cagers who seem to drive worse/more aggressively in bad weather

riding in the rain can be fun but if you got leaking waterproofs it becomes miserable pretty damn quick

30 miles from home is the wrong time to find out your trousers are not as waterproof as you hoped :cry:
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Embattle »

Like others I ride all year round, you just adjust to the weather as you would in anything.
mjoa68
Year: 2015 PCX 150
Color: Grey/Silver

Post by mjoa68 »

Geoffers wrote:I also agree with Iceman. I ride all year round in Northwest England without any real problem. You just need to accelerate and brake in straight lines, watch your surface for white lines, leaves, potholes & such, and don't lean into your turns. It shouldn't need saying, but the PCX is not a performance bike and trying to get your knee down, even on a sunny day, is a recipe for unpleasantness...
Yup, I also echo these sentiments. Did you ever ride your bike in the rain as a kid? Pretty much the same concepts, just adjusting again for the added weight and speed. I've now commuted on a scooter through two winters here in rainy British Columbia (I think they had the rain in mind when they named it after Britian) and never had a problem. More important than anything is remembering to ride defensively. Always assume the cagers around you are bad drivers and are more likely than not to make bad decisions.

If you're unsure about riding in the rain I'd suggest doing it the first couple of times when it's not rush hour and when you don't have to be anywhere at any given time. Give yourself some time to adjust for it, go slow and you'll find you're accustomed to it in no time. And if you've never ridden in the rain also be prepared for the lessened visibility. Your visor or goggles don't have those handy wiper things that cars do, which is another reason you'll want to slow down in the rain... But again, a bit of experience and a slow steady approach with some thought applied and you'll adjust to that too.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Anyone have a face shield or visor treatment (spray, liquid, paste or ?) which works better than other products in the rain?
Have tried a few....not found the magic stuff yet.
Fish
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I found this advice on another forum.

"Try Dawn dishwashing liquid .... Dip a cloth into a little Dawn, add a touch of water, then rub onto the visor. Allow to dry to a haze. Take a clean dry cloth and buff until clear. Ride and enjoy. ..... Works with glasses as well
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

fish wrote:Anyone have a face shield or visor treatment (spray, liquid, paste or ?) which works better than other products in the rain?
Have tried a few....not found the magic stuff yet.
Fish
I got the rain-x plastic water repellant. I spray it on my windshield and helmet. Unfortunately I have not tested it enough in the rain to decide if it works or not. I think it works, but not amazingly..
ImageImageImage