Greasing Clutch Bearing

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Scoot Commute
Year: 2012
Color: White

Greasing Clutch Bearing

Post by Scoot Commute »

I have around 5000 miles on my 2012 PCX 150, it runs so sweet.
One thing that is starting to get my attention is the increasing clutch bearing noise just as I come to a stop at idle.
I have read numerous post re a dodgy bearing in these earlier models and was thinking of having a look inside and putting a bit more grease between these two suckers to extend the life of what sounds like the emergence of dry bearings.
Any thoughts?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: Greasing Clutch Bearing

Post by Oyabun »

Scoot Commute wrote:I have around 5000 miles on my 2012 PCX 150, it runs so sweet.
One thing that is starting to get my attention is the increasing clutch bearing noise just as I come to a stop at idle.
I have read numerous post re a dodgy bearing in these earlier models and was thinking of having a look inside and putting a bit more grease between these two suckers to extend the life of what sounds like the emergence of dry bearings.
Any thoughts?
I did it on mine and on a friend's one already. better to start doing it as a practice while it is still silent - by the time it gets audible it bearing rollers might be out of round.
I started to do it as part of my maintenance routine - every time I change oil - I treat the bearings with repack grease also.
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Where is this bearing located and how do you get to it. :?
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

ItBeMe wrote:Where is this bearing located and how do you get to it. :?
It's inside the CVT (belt) cover found as the rear half of the clutch pulley (the aft pulley) under the bell & shoes. It will be easy to access and remove the entire clutch assembly but a little more difficult to separate and bearing from this clutch. There are many video's showing several ways to disassemble and reassemble these little scooter clutches with cleaver homemade tools and human contortions but one can do it themselves. Here is my video of what the legendary bearing design looks like. And that is the part number for your bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PncNhxC54a0
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Thank you for the info. :D
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

ItBeMe wrote:Thank you for the info. :D
You are most welcome.
Some people replace the two bearings inside but that's too much work when the whole part is little money. The clutch pulley is spring loaded and this is where it gets a little challenging to reassemble.
Scoot Commute

Post by Scoot Commute »

Thanks guys sounds like I should get onto it then.

Are the newer bearings any better quality or is it just under designed component?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I haven't heard of any repeat repairs on this forum at least. Someone might chip in if I'm wrong.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Alibally wrote:I haven't heard of any repeat repairs on this forum at least. Someone might chip in if I'm wrong.
Haven't seen anyone report failings when part 8 or the bearings are changed, but for most it took some time for the problem to show. New PCX's being sold the past year and one or two Forza's have had problems with these bearings so if replacements are supposed to fix the issue permanently, why are new sales still having the issue - unless Honda don't care about faulty bearings already fitted or being fitted and are more interested in getting dealers some business and selling lots of part 8's. A Honda mechanic posted in the FB PCX/Forza group that he's changed 100's of these bearings and lots of steering bearings in many Honda bikes - common issue on Honda's was his words.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

My PCX started with this noise at 4,000 miles, I decided since I wanted an NCY variator I might as well go with the NCY Super transmission kit complete with a new clutch assembly. I got some Aeroshell 33MS moly grease for the install, can't report on it yet, it's on its way now.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

k2apache6.0 wrote:My PCX started with this noise at 4,000 miles, I decided since I wanted an NCY variator I might as well go with the NCY Super transmission kit complete with a new clutch assembly. I got some Aeroshell 33MS moly grease for the install, can't report on it yet, it's on its way now.
It'll be interesting to see what that's like
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

you you wrote:
k2apache6.0 wrote:My PCX started with this noise at 4,000 miles, I decided since I wanted an NCY variator I might as well go with the NCY Super transmission kit complete with a new clutch assembly. I got some Aeroshell 33MS moly grease for the install, can't report on it yet, it's on its way now.
Yeah' not much info on the internet, reviews and stuff. The early kits had a 1000 rpm spring I believe, this one is same as stock 1500 thankfully, Ordered a new belt too. I'll report once it has a couple of hundred miles on it.
My PCX mod build here..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Since there are two bearings involved that act up, it might be just as well if you just replace the assembly. In the United States it is only around $30 for the assembly.
By the way, I noticed that there is a different part number for this item on the newer pcx. I don't know what the inference it. I sent an email to Honda to ask but have heard nothing back. It would be interesting to find out.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Scoot Commute

Post by Scoot Commute »

Pulled the clutch out yesterday to check the original bears that were getting slightly noise at 5000 miles.
Both bearings rotated freely however the ball race did have a slight roughness to it, there was no evidence of particles in the old grease which was particularly stiff (whiteish in color) and appeared to be sitting in 2 clumps in the void between the bears.

I repacked them with a wheel bearing grease and now it sounds somewhat quieter.

In light of the quality issues I am thinking maybe when replacement time comes going to a bearing shop if there are after market equivalents.
Tipover
Year: 2011
Color: Candy red

Post by Tipover »

I greased my bearings yesterday. My bike has done only 1200 miles. The bearings weren't making noise, I just wanted to check them. They didn't have very much grease.
I just used the grease I had on hand, moly grease for auto steering components.
Tipover
Year: 2011
Color: Candy red

Post by Tipover »

I forgot to add, I cleaned the transmission housing and cover. It had lots of belt dust and grime, very sticky. I just used some rags and compressed air to get all the dust out.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

you you wrote:
Installed it. see New thread '86MPH on the stand'
My PCX mod build here..
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Once the clutch is removed you can put a dab of grease on your finger and pack both bearings from the back side. You can feel the rollers and just push the grease in them . Not a hard job especially if you have an impact wrench.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am thinking that Honda had a warehouse full of the defective parts so they continued to install them until they ran out, knowing that the spare parts were done by a different supplier and would solve the problem for the 1 out of every 1,000 scooters that reported the problem. Since their objective is to get the scooters out the door without slowing the assembly line they just ignored the problem, hoping that the problem would eventually work itself out through the retail market and service system. When it went bad on my wife's bike the assembly that holds the two bearings was on back order everywhere. That should say something about the problem. The mechanic even had a problem finding the bearings themselves. He finally located one of the odd sized bearings in California and had it shipped overnight to him in Georgia, so I would say that Honda knew and still knows about this problem.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

A Honda mechanic posted in a FB forum that bad or noisy bearings (clutch and steering) are well known about and he's fixed 100's over the years. So Honda knows but it seems, like you say, have not done much to fix the issue or recall and fix since it's a major issue and affecting so many users.