When the fuel gauge starts to blink..

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

When the fuel gauge starts to blink..

Post by alx123 »

So I was running late this morning and suddenly my fuel gauge indicator started to blink, I figure I still have approx 20 kms (12.43 miles) to go before reaching my workplace, so I decided that i don't have enough time to stop for gas and went straight to work. Luckily I made it without running out of gas.

Am I right in thinking that once the fuel gauge starts to blink i still have around 1 liter of fuel left?

As far as I can remember, the last bar on the gauge means I still have 1.5L left in the tank.

Which one are you anyway?
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: When the fuel gauge starts to blink..

Post by chicaboo »

I can only speak for the OWL, but 1L or thereabouts seems about right when it starts blinking.
The LED holds another 2L, so it may proportionately have more left when it starts blinking?

On the scooter I hold out until it's almost dry before I put a full tank in and continue the cycle.
In the cars I start looking for deals when I'm between 1/4 and 3/8 tank left.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I got over 240 miles on the LED version and made it to a filling station so dependant on how you ride and speed, it can go a long way. That was around the time I got over 147mpg soon after I bought the bike. Didn't know there was still 2 litres left when it starts to blink, but that is some reserve!
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

So I refilled and it took 7.4 liters to got it full again, I got the 2016 one (LED?). Full tank is 8L.

Probably around 1 L too when the gauge starts to blink right?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I once set out to know the miles you could go after the warning on a 2015 PCX. Carried a little fuel with me to get home but after 30 miles I gave up the quest. Later my mechanic told me never run a fuel injected engine dry if you don't have to. I figured if I couldn't get to a station in 30 miles I deserve to push.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I give myself about another 20-30 miles when it starts blinking at me. I haven't gone dry yet.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

On my 2013 I can go approximately 50km once the gauge starts blinking.

FYI I have always run my previously owned Honda cars on every tank until they had a hard time starting and have never had any repercussions. And two I owned for over 400,000 km.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

iceman wrote:I got over 240 miles on the LED version and made it to a filling station so dependant on how you ride and speed, it can go a long way. That was around the time I got over 147mpg soon after I bought the bike. Didn't know there was still 2 litres left when it starts to blink, but that is some reserve!
You are talking about a 125 I presume? Over here we don't do 125 PCX's.

Either you are talking about a 125 or you are using some kind of short miles in your calculations.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

You know by now that UK miles are shorter.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

No, UK miles are the correct length and our gallons are the correct size.
Its you lot who are doing it wrong.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

ScottDR wrote:On my 2013 I can go approximately 50km once the gauge starts blinking.

FYI I have always run my previously owned Honda cars on every tank until they had a hard time starting and have never had any repercussions. And two I owned for over 400,000 km.
Oh, one possibly critical additional tidbit: I get 2.2 liters per hundred kilometers or 107 US MPG, 128 UK MPG. Don't want to leave someone stranded.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

So today I took off a little late to work from our place when the fuel bar started to blink. I figured, as usual I'll make there, plenty of time to refill during lunch.(w/c I forgot to do anyway)

I was wrong. Scoot won't start when im about to leave home, so I have no choice but to rely on a coke bottle. 2kms away from the nearest gas station. That's 30 mins delay on my way home.

Probably started to blink yesterday and i didn't notice.

Lesson learned, refill ASAP when it's started to blink.
Attachments
P_20180627_175148-612x816.jpg
P_20180627_175148-612x816.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 6950 times
P_20180627_174914-612x816.jpg
P_20180627_174914-612x816.jpg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 6950 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

It's no fun running out of gas is it? Sort of like that feeling when you can't find your keys. . ..

Years ago I actually did run out of gas in an old VW Beetle. It was on a Sunday. . .I was returning from a great weekend journey. . .every gas station I passed was closed. . .and my mantra was "Please God get me home and I swear I'll never let the tank get this low again. . .ever". o_O

I never forgot that moment. No cell phones back then and a kind resident in that rural area allowed me to use their phone to call a good friend. He ended up driving about 50 miles with a big can of gas to rescue me. Of course I was thinking 25 MPG back then. . .only needed about 2 gallons and I should be OK. Never ran the tank so low the gas gauge bounced off the bottom before so I was in uncharted territory. STUPID ME! :x

The moral to the story is to top off the tank when it's half full. . .not half empty. With your PCX that should be around 100 miles between gas stops. That said I have a couple of gas cans I keep filled for my lawn mowers (I do add fuel preservative) and there are times when it's just easier to top off the PCX from one of those rather than deal with a line at the gas station. Works great for the motorcycles too. Just have to be even more careful pouring it in. ;)

No fuel petcock on the PCX so having a reserve option is out of the question. . .it makes you rely totally on the gas gauge. Such are the times. 8)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

The gas gauge is there for decoration. Rely on the trip odometer. I fill up the PCX somewhere between 100 and 110 miles, and the Forza when I get to 150 miles. There are plenty of stations around me, but I prefer to stick with one brand from one place, and will not fill up if the station itself is taking a delivery.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

The gas gauge is there for decoration. Rely on the trip odometer.
Oh yes. . .that too. . .good point!

That said I found the gas gauge on my PCX is fairly accurate. When it gets about half way it does only take about a gallon plus or minus a few drops to refill it. :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The Mk1 PCX LCD fuel gauge was simple and very effective.
The last segment starts to blink consistently at the same level and you know its time to get juice.
No ifs or buts.
Forza 300 you need to rely on the fuel computer and you also need to brim the tank every time to get an accurate idea of fuel range.

I prefer the old style manual fuel tap <ON-OFF-RESERVE> although I once managed to run out with one of these because the owner hadn't put the tap back to ON after it went onto reserve.
Happened on the M8 motorway miles from anywhere, DOH!
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I once drove a VW bug that ran out of gas, but it had a reserve switch, which i remembered as it was coasting to a stop. Flipped the switch and it started right up, but that particular version of the VW did not have a fuel gauge either. I didn't like that at all. Years later, when I purchased my first VW Bug I made sure it had a gas gauge. You don't realize how much you depend on that gauge until you don't have one.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Another old VW story.

Many years ago, a friend was driving one on the PA Turnpike, and ran out of gas about 2 miles from a service plaza.

Since there would be a very expensive fee to bring him gas, he poured in a bottle of 100 proof Old Grand Dad bourbon. That got him the two miles to get gas.

He said that he filled up with high test - the VW ran rough for a while but eventually cleaned itself out.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Had a Karmann Ghia with a reserve switch. back in the day when one would pull into a full serve gas station and say put a couple bucks in.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Running out of gas is not a pleasant experience, you'll endlessly blaming yourself for being so lazy. LOL

The PCX started without any hesitation once I poured the "zero sugar "coke in though. Refill and start in an instant.

Might've been a different story if it happened on the middle of the night, somewhere where there is no accessible gas station.