Question about buying a Forza

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

shrink13
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Question about buying a Forza

Post by shrink13 »

I am new to this forum and I just sold my Honda Silver Wing because I am getting old and I found the bike too heavy. I looked at the Paiggio MP3 and I was not impressed with the fit and the finish. That brings me to the Forza. It does not seem to be too popular in the US and I was wondering if I will be disappointed with the Forza? Most of my trips are short and local. The stock windshield seems very low and I will need a top case. Even the high windshield is 24". Is that high enough? Honda seems to make a 27 liter (too small) and a 35 liter case. Is the 46 liter case available in the US? Is the Forza as bulletproof as the Silverwing?

Should I be concerned about buying a new, leftover 2014? Have there been any changes from 2014 to the most current model? Any history of problems with the Forza?

Thank you for your answers and suggestions
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Re: Question about buying a Forza

Post by Mister Paul »

I did 10k miles on my Forza in 12 months of year-round commuting. Didn't let me down once. Stick the Honda tall screen on and a top box and it will do it all for you.
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

8k miles on mine. The fuel pump recall was a nightmare requiring three visits to the dealer for them to get the repair right. Never had any trouble until the recall work, then it leaked. A very dangerous condition because when it leaked it was right in front of the rear tire creating loss of traction. I am 5'6" and I think the Honda tall windshield is perfect, it reduces the draft just enough to make it comfortable. There are a lot of after market top boxes available, personally I would not even consider the Honda box I would shop the many choices and install it myself. If your goal is to downsize and most of your trips are short and local why not really down size and go for a PCX I strongly considered it but my daily commute puts me on the highway. Size up your needs carefully and get some thoughts from the PCX forum and see if it would fit your needs. Bottom line for me is that after 2 1/2 years I don't regret my choice but the dealers hack job on the recall caused me to lose confidence in it for almost a year. Hopefully from here on it will be smooth sailing.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
asolof
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: Red

Post by asolof »

Shrink13,

I'm an old fart too, and downsized from a Burgman 650 for the same reason. The Givi Air Flow screen is adjustable to your preference and the little Givi V56 Top Box seems adequate in size for me ;) My Forza is a 2016 model. I'm satisfied so far.

You will achieve your goals with this move, but everything is a compromise. It will not be as smooth on the Interstate riding 80mph compared with your Silverwing, but since most of your trips are short and local, you will find it much easier to use, light & nimble (and therefore enjoyable) than the Silverwing. If you want to take it on the Interstate, you can.
2016 Forza 300
Givi Airflow, Givi V56, Admore lights, Vista Cruise
Previous Bikes: 2006 B400, 2009 B650
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

shrink13 wrote:I looked at the Paiggio MP3 and I was not impressed with the fit and the finish. That brings me to the Forza.

The Piaggio quality is at least on a par with or better than the made in Thailand Forza.
The Forza is not in the same league as the made in Japan Silverwing.
shrink13 wrote:It does not seem to be too popular in the US and I was wondering if I will be disappointed with the Forza? Most of my trips are short and local.

Short and local, Forza will be fine with that, but so would any other 125-300 scooter
shrink13 wrote:The stock windshield seems very low and I will need a top case.

Stock one is fine.
High ones tend to make the wind around your helmet turbulent and noisy.
The shorter one is quieter in my experience.
shrink13 wrote:Even the high windshield is 24". Is that high enough?
See above.
If anything its too high because the seat is very low.
shrink13 wrote:Honda seems to make a 27 liter (too small) and a 35 liter case. Is the 46 liter case available in the US? Is the Forza as bulletproof as the Silverwing?
Don't buy official Honda rack or topcase, the aftermarket ones are the same quality at a fraction of the price.
(Honda ones are manufactured by Shad)
My Forza has 31,000 miles on the clock and still runs OK but has been back for warranty repairs and recalls many more times than I am happy with.
Finish and cosmetics are in a sorry state despite regular washing.
Compared to my colleagues Silverwing the Forza is a real disappointment.
shrink13 wrote:Should I be concerned about buying a new, leftover 2014? Have there been any changes from 2014 to the most current model? Any history of problems with the Forza?
No, No and yes, lots of them.

Warped discs front and rear
Sticky rear brake caliper
Premature wear on rear pads due to design failings
Impossible to check rear pads without disassembling inner exhaust heat shield and swinging arm to get caliper out
Leaking waterpump seals
Transmission bearing failure
Brake light switch failure

Recalls for fuel pump and rear brake joint
shrink13 wrote:Thank you for your answers and suggestions
Make sure you sit on one before you commit.
The seating position can be cramped if you have long legs, the knee room is less than on a PCX 125.
Not everyone fits on a Forza.
Make sure you get ABS, you don't need it right up until you need it....

Loved mine when I first got it, but there have been far too many problems with it.
I had thought I would never buy another Thailand Honda, but I'm steadily going off Honda altogether and thinking the next toy might wear a different badge on the tank.

However, you could buy a Forza and not have a single problem with it...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Bad Designs & Quality control problems???

AND why are there still new 2014's?
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

cannot but agree with all above comments...my experience of scooters is very limited so my comments are in that context...small vespa many years ago and the Euro 125cc SWing for 3 years.
Had Forza just over two years from new and approaching 10000 trouble free miles...runs like a bird... over 90 mpg ( UK gallons)... and has always done everything I want it to...toured around Ireland and Scotland easily...I travel at reasonable speeds but not over fast..as its the journey rather than the arriving..without passanger...dont think its suitable for two up for distances...
Fitted a PUIG high smokey screen and a Givi box and heated grips and all three are excellent.
Apart from the two recalls and servicing during the warranty period it has never been near a garage....now service on my own which to date I have found OK and I am no mechanic.
However I suspect that downsizing from the trusted tested and reliable SilverWing to any smaller scooter will be an experience.
So my limited input to your considerations is that I think the Forza is a great bike....cannot really fault it...( I accept that I may have got lucky and got a 2014 where the initial "teething and quality control problems" may have been sorted out....but there again tomorrow I may regret saying that!!)
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

I totally agree with dergav. Not one problem with mine, except for the 2 recalls which may not even been necessary. I'm 5'10", if you are shorter you would want to sit on one and make sure your feet can touch the ground at a stop. I did put the taller windshield on, along with this add-on spoiler:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/catalogs ... RA.XCA.S.0
I had one of these spoilers on my last scooter and love them, they help to direct the wind over your helmet instead of hitting the top of your helmet (and stops the bug splatter on the helmet shield).
I've never had a motorcycle, started right out with scooters, have had three other ones before this one (150cc's), never felt safe on them, I love the Forza.
mikecalderone
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikecalderone »

I am also from CA, Laguna Niguel.
I also downsized from a Burgman 650 to a 2014 Forza. I never looked back. The Honda Forza is perfect, and very well built.
You will love it, go for it.
My Rides:
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
2015 Honda CTX700ND

Previous Rides:
2014 Honda Forza 300
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650
2009 Burgman 400
2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
2005 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500
2003 Honda VT750
1992 Honda elite
1986 Kawasaki KZ600 inline 4
1979 Honda CL350
1977 Honda SL125
shrink13

Post by shrink13 »

Thanks to everyone who has replied. It is almost as if there are two different scooters-one that people like and has no problems and one that is riddled with problems. I sure hope that I get one from the former pile and not the later pile.

Thank you.
Dufus

Post by Dufus »

shrink13 wrote:I am new to this forum and I just sold my Honda Silver Wing because I am getting old and I found the bike too heavy. I looked at the Paiggio MP3 and I was not impressed with the fit and the finish. That brings me to the Forza. It does not seem to be too popular in the US and I was wondering if I will be disappointed with the Forza? Most of my trips are short and local. The stock windshield seems very low and I will need a top case. Even the high windshield is 24". Is that high enough? Honda seems to make a 27 liter (too small) and a 35 liter case. Is the 46 liter case available in the US? Is the Forza as bulletproof as the Silverwing?
Hey, Shrink! I bought a used 2014 Forza this past weekend and love it. If you get one that old from a dealership it will have the three recalls already taken care of, but it you don't and they aren't, fixing them is still free 'cuz it's a recall. I agree with you that the Silver Wing is heavy, and find the Forza much more maneuverable. I'm downsizing from a Kawasaki Vulcan (750) which is 100 lbs heavier than the Forza and much heavier in the steering. I've ordered the Givi tall one-piece windshield for the extra inch in height. I'll let you know how it works for me.
rmc10
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza

Post by rmc10 »

I bought a 2014 with 2200 mile on it. They did recalls, and serviced it before I picked it up. I added a GIVI tall windshield and waiting on Bestem 929 top case to but on it. I have been riding Goldwings for the last ten years, but downsizing because of age. I have put 400 miles on my Forza in the last three weeks and I love it. Plenty of power, and the tall windshield is great on it Rode 120 miles today run 50-55 mph cost $3.20 to refill.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Last summer, I downsized from a GL1800 with 152K on the clock to my 2014 Forza because I had stopped touring and am now only commuting. In my low-elevation, high-humidity environment (Columbia, SC), this meant a jump from ~30mpg to ~65mpg and an ability to park nearly anywhere. The trade-off is that, while I have done 2 hour trips at 75mph, the bike is clearly much more comfortable at 45 mph. And the higher speed trips are probably cooking my drive bely sooner than I would like.

Short and skinny: At just under 4K logged, the 2014 Forza does everything I want it to without complaining.

Having said that, here's a current list of my modifications:

• Givi AF adjustable screen
• Givi Maxia III 55 liter top box with light kit, passenger backrest and luggage rack (which I use as a cargo web attachment point when putting cargo on the pillion)
• CB500X mirrors (stick out further on the sides for better viewing, bolt right on)
• Malossi rear shocks
• foam grip covers for a fater and softer grip
• Vista-Cruise throttle lock (which took modifying the throttle grip)
• oversized bar end-weights (more for fitting the next item better than for any other reason)
• Tucano Urbano winter muffs when it gets cold
• Tucano Urbano lap blanket / leg cover also for the chilly damp weather

In Palo Alto, you may not need the cold weather stuff.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
Webini1963

Post by Webini1963 »

MBMyer wrote:Having said that, here's a current list of my modifications:

• Givi AF adjustable screen
• Givi Maxia III 55 liter top box with light kit, passenger backrest and luggage rack (which I use as a cargo web attachment point when putting cargo on the pillion)
• CB500X mirrors (stick out further on the sides for better viewing, bolt right on)
• Malossi rear shocks
• foam grip covers for a fater and softer grip
• Vista-Cruise throttle lock (which took modifying the throttle grip)
• oversized bar end-weights (more for fitting the next item better than for any other reason)
• Tucano Urbano winter muffs when it gets cold
• Tucano Urbano lap blanket / leg cover also for the chilly damp weather
Thank you for this - just what I was looking for!
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Webini1963,

In retrospect, I would not spring for the light kit in the Givi top box. It has been very fragile and unreliable. The rattles and vibrations I can deal with (and have dealt with), but the lights are out yet again, and I'm tired of spending the time to repair them. I'm still a full-time teacher and have little time to spare for projects.
6 other previous bikes
asolof
Year: 2016 Forza 300

Post by asolof »

<<Malossi rear shocks>>

How much did they help? I find the oem shocks don't do a good job if I run over a shallow pothole or bump.

I got the Maxia 4 case with Admore lights. The Admore kit comes with positap connectors which seem to provide a reliable connection (knock on wood).
2016 Forza 300
Givi Airflow, Givi V56, Admore lights, Vista Cruise
Previous Bikes: 2006 B400, 2009 B650
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

I like the Malossis a lot. I no longer bottom out, and the adjuster on top makes it much more likely that I'll change the preload when the pillion is about to be occupied. My normal is now to have them set all the way to low when riding alone, and on the second notch when the wife is with me. I can't imagine when I would need to set them all the way stiff.

I'd like to find something that does a similar fix for the front end just as easily, but I fear that will not happen. The Malossi shocks went on in place of the OEM in under 1/2 hour. The front forks are probably going to have to be taken off, drained, filled with a different oil, and perhaps have those little spacer doodads installed. That will be a much longer session.

I may have to look into the Admore kit.
6 other previous bikes
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

MBMyer wrote:. And the higher speed trips are probably cooking my drive bely sooner than I would like.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
MBMyer,

Who cares if you have to replace the Drive belt even twice as often as recommended. They are cheap and not hard to replace... Even if you replace it twice as often, it is still less than once a year, and only 50 dollars. Less time and money than a motorcycle chain and sprocket over the same amount of miles.

Mike
Pete07bikes
Color: White

Post by Pete07bikes »

Hi Shrink13,
Welcome to the forum,
Like some other members I too bought a 6-month old 2,000 mile example in April last year which had a fitted 27 ltr topbox & the high screen, it had had its first service and the water pump recall done.
In 18 months I've added 14,500 miles (now at 16,500 miles) and it has performed without a hick-up.
New back tyre at 7,500 miles along with minor service.
New back tyre (number 2) at 14,500 along with new front & rear brake pads full service including belt/roller set.
Plenty of room under the seat, only use the top-box on occasions, handlebar muffs keep hands warm.
Like others have said leg room isn't great (I had a 125 Swing previously and that was roomier in the leg department) so make sure you have a good road test. Obviously power will be down on the Silverwing but it is half the size engine.

Have I been luck with mine? I don't think so - it gets serviced according to manufacturers spec and gets ridden sensibly.
One great little scooter in my opinion.

Pete
Medway towns
SE England
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

gn2 wrote: Any history of problems with the Forza?[/

No, No and yes, lots of them.

Warped discs front and rear
Sticky rear brake caliper
Premature wear on rear pads due to design failings
Impossible to check rear pads without disassembling inner exhaust heat shield and swinging arm to get caliper out
Leaking waterpump seals
Transmission bearing failure
Brake light switch failure

Given Poor GN2's experience, I will be purchasing a 2016 model year Forza, even if it costs more... It seems like one is likely to have problems when purchasing V 1.0, First Model Year, Serial # 000000001 of any scooter. All the guys at the factory were probably standing around GN2's Forza with their wrenches in their hands, trying to figure out how to put the first one together ;)

Mike