Introduction and a couple of queries

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

MayHem
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Introduction and a couple of queries

Post by MayHem »

Hi, Just picked up a PCX over the weekend, not sure if its considered a 2012 or 2013 as the sticker under the seat is dated 1st August 2012, So I'm assuming its 2013. Seller had advertised as 2012.

She had 928kms (580miles) when I picked her up. Have been watching the market for a while for a PCX150 and seems they have really good resale in Australia.

I ended up paying $2350AUD with 3 months registration and a free cover.

First upgrade I will be doing is a new seat to remove the hump, unsure whether to try PowerbyPCX (not really keen on a second hand cruddy seat base) or get from mp.motorseat with a new base.

May look at a variator upgrade down the track to hopefully raise the top speed 10-15km/hr to make those short motorway/highway spurts a bit safer. I see there is several options but none available locally in Australia so may have to acquire from overseas. Yuminashi 2016 kit looks nice.

She is due for her first service now, she has met the mileage requirements but has been a lot longer than the recommended month. The previous owner has done nothing. I am fairly mechanical and long time motorcycle owner so am going to attempt the valve adjustment here at home as I made a few calls and got some ridiculous quotes between $300 and $400 to do the first service.

Here is a few pictures (sorry for the poor quality/angles)
20160820_172207.jpg
20160820_172207.jpg (633.4 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
20160820_172219.jpg
20160820_172219.jpg (513.16 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
20160820_172223.jpg
20160820_172223.jpg (177.49 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Introduction and a couple of queries

Post by Mel46 »

We purchased one of the first pcx 150s imported into the United States, and that was in August of 2012. It was considered a 2013 model. Aside from the clutch bearing problem, the bike has been running great since we purchased it. Of course, the bearing problem put it out of commission for a couple of months, but now you can order the entire replacement without having to pull the bad bearings, which makes fixing it so much better. I hope you do not have the bearing problem, but if you do just ask us how to fix it or find the thread. We are always happy to help.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Welcome aboard!

Let me say before WhiteNoise gets in here and reminds you, to go on ahead and put your location in your profile.

Also, while you're at it, why don't you add yourself to the Owner's Map? Instructions in my sig below.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
MayHem

Post by MayHem »

Ok so I will assume it is a 2013. I have added my location and added myself to the PCX riders map!

Will check out the threads regarding the bearing, I have only done 50km on my scoot and did notice an unusual noise, need to have a quick ride with no helmet so I can hear better and better diagnose the noise.

Cheers
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
MayHem

Post by MayHem »

Actually, I will try to run it on the centre stand to diagnose before riding without a helmet ;) Mel, I had a search through the forum search function and found a lot regarding this particular bearing, is there a specific guide I should be looking for?

Cheers
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
MayHem

Post by MayHem »

Is this the correct parts (in red boxes) needed to resolve the clutch bearing issues?
Attachments
bearing.png
bearing.png (204.03 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hey Mayhem, g'day and welcome aboard.

That's a killer deal you got on your PCX! Mine was $3k with under 3000km back in April, and that was a doozy then.
I'm from Logan, so I'm not too far away from you if you want to experience some mods first hand (see my signature).
I've got some parts you could try out, and a stock seat you could get reworked however you want, etc.
I only get to go on weekend rides, so it'd be good to have a scooter buddy not so far away if you're up for it.
And yes, you have a 2012 model. We don't do the MY plus next year thing like they do in the US.

Take it easy, Gav.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

MayHem wrote:Is this the correct parts (in red boxes) needed to resolve the clutch bearing issues?
That's the part, yes.

Sent from my iPad
MayHem

Post by MayHem »

chicaboo wrote:Hey Mayhem, g'day and welcome aboard.

That's a killer deal you got on your PCX! Mine was $3k with under 3000km back in April, and that was a doozy then.
I'm from Logan, so I'm not too far away from you if you want to experience some mods first hand (see my signature).
I've got some parts you could try out, and a stock seat you could get reworked however you want, etc.
I only get to go on weekend rides, so it'd be good to have a scooter buddy not so far away if you're up for it.
And yes, you have a 2012 model. We don't do the MY plus next year thing like they do in the US.

Take it easy, Gav.
Hey mate, good to know I got a deal :D How was the condition of the base you got from PowerbyPCX? Some looked pretty average. I'm considering just doing the humpectomy at home as I unbolted the hump on the weekend to have a look and it shouldn't be too hard to dremel the plastic stumps down a touch and then have a local upholster to add an extra layer of foam and recover it, just depends on cost vs. a Thai base I suppose.

How are you finding the variator upgrade? I think apart from the seat and a variator I will leave the rest as is. What sort of top speed do you manage?

The scoot is currently at my brothers house in Noosa as I didn't have my ute up there when I saw it advertised and purchased it, so heading back up to collect her in 2 wknds time. Would be cool to head out for a ride sometime!
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

MayHem wrote:
chicaboo wrote:Hey Mayhem, g'day and welcome aboard.

Take it easy, Gav.
Hey mate, good to know I got a deal :D How was the condition of the base you got from PowerbyPCX? Some looked pretty average. I'm considering just doing the humpectomy at home as I unbolted the hump on the weekend to have a look and it shouldn't be too hard to dremel the plastic stumps down a touch and then have a local upholster to add an extra layer of foam and recover it, just depends on cost vs. a Thai base I suppose.

How are you finding the variator upgrade? I think apart from the seat and a variator I will leave the rest as is. What sort of top speed do you manage?

The scoot is currently at my brothers house in Noosa as I didn't have my ute up there when I saw it advertised and purchased it, so heading back up to collect her in 2 wknds time. Would be cool to head out for a ride sometime!
The seat base isn't too bad, it looks used, but it's not awful. The only thing that really bugs me is that they didn't clean up the burrs where they drill the hump base out... With the 10% discount code the seat came to about $140aud, and got here in 2.5 weeks or so.

I'm 6'2", 117kg and quite broad across the shoulders, so the stock scoot only did 95kph with me. With just 11g sliders or the full variator upgrade I only have the power to go 115kph on flat roads and 120kph tucked down a slight hill. The Daytona variator with 14g rollers has the same or slightly less acceleration feel as sliders alone, but uses less revs and consequently less fuel while doing it. The full variator setup with sliders is geared to 142kph while sliders alone is about 120kph. So if you're an average to small build or have a BBK, I imagine the variator option would be quite fast. The 11g sliders need more 50%+ throttle input to get the scoot moving, so the 13g everyone buys is probably a good trade-off?

Our older AU PCXs are quite fast compared to what they have in the US, so keep that in mind. So with my PCX as it stands, it's maybe better acceleration to 115kph or maybe less for the same speed with better fuel economy. We're not talking big differences either way you look at it, so it's really a toss up... A light rider that's easy on the throttle would probably prefer the variator and 13g rollers. A big guy like me I don't think it matters much as I'm asking more from the scoot at all times. But I would say 11-13g sliders are the best bang for the buck for bigger riders or those who go two up. After my testing I can say for sure that either of these options are better than stock.

Gav.
MayHem

Post by MayHem »

I'm around 92kg and 6'2" and plan to ride 2up a bit with the wife, so probably just try 13g sliders to start with? I understand these mods add minimal but it would be nice to have a bit more juice to enable a quick safer run from say Salisbury to Springwood on the pacific motorway, or Salisbury to the city.
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

You'd be surprised - the difference between the stock 18g rollers and even 14g rollers is not minimal.
For your weight, 12-13g sliders sound fine. But apparently it's more about aiming for 8000 RPM while you're accelerating.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Let me suggest that you put adjustable shocks in your budget. YSS has a good reputation and there are a lot of good writeups on this forum. For heavy individuals, or those expecting to ride 2 up a lot they have XLR and XXL I believe.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
MayHem

Post by MayHem »

I didn't even consider shocks. I think the standards should suffice. My wife and I spend alot of time in Indonesia and ride 2up everywhere on they're Varios (monoshock) on average roads and it's not a great deal unless we hit a pothole. The PVC already feels 10 times plusher than a Vario

Cheers
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Welcome aboard mate, we now have about 4 members from Brissie and surrounds, (I'm in Petrie).

I would definitely recommend upgrading the shocks, I'm only 82kg and 165cm but bottomed out even on bitumen roads before I upgraded to YSS shocks from PowerbyPCX. I was lucky, my son was holidaying in Thailand and was able to pick the shocks up, along with a heap of other goodies.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

JohnL wrote:Welcome aboard mate, we now have about 4 members from Brissie and surrounds, (I'm in Petrie).
Vlad's PCX is for sale and he's considering getting a Grom, and he hasn't been active for quite a while. So, really only 3 still. :(
MayHem

Post by MayHem »

Ok well I have only done 50km on the PCX, not enough to really get a feel of the standard shocks, so I suppose I will consider the shock upgrade. Do you recommend the G-Euro or the G-Plus? The G-plus looks more aesthetically pleasing with the reservoir at the top of the shock but I can't find much info on the ratings for the G-Plus?

Cheers
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

If you can even get G-Plus, it's better to have the weight off the swingarm and CVT and up on the chassis.
MayHem

Post by MayHem »

Did the first service today, oil was pretty dark after 4 years and only 1000kms. I drained the oil whilst on centre stand and level ground and also removed the strainer screen. I put back in 900ml as per the manual (when removing strainer screen) and now it is reading high on the stick (when sitting on the threads), maybe an inch above the rippled recommended area. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues. Not sure how this happened, I had the dipstick removed and the scoot was nice and warm when I dropped the drain bolt and it gushed out pretty quick. Maybe I should have rocked it back and forth and side to side a bit to get any residual out. Will try another reading tomorrow after the scoot has sat overnight, maybe the stick was getting oil off the sides of the fill hole as it is pretty narrow.

Also did the valve adjustment, both valves were tighter than the recommended spec. Whoever said this is a 1.5 hour job must be bloody quick, took me close to 3 hours although I'd imagine it to be quicker now I know my way around the scoot. I didn't break any tabs and had no screws or bolts left at the end :D

Also installed a usb socket which is mounted to the handlebars and a trickle charger quick connect tail that I brought into the underseat compartment.

So far so good!
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If it is still sitting high I'd be tempted to remove the excess with a syringe and tube otherwise the crank will be spinning in too much oil. Won't really do any harm but it'll affect mpg/performance slightly.