2015 Safety RECALL

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: black

2015 Safety RECALL

Post by mrgizmow »

Just got a notice from Honda. Should you have purchased a Genuine Honda 2015 PCX trunk/Base there is a safety recall. Contact Honda...
mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: black

Re: 2015 Safety RECALL

Post by mrgizmow »

mrgizmow wrote:Just got a notice from Honda. Should you have purchased a Genuine Honda 2015 PCX trunk/Base there is a safety recall. Contact Honda...
Guess this trunk/base has been offered since 2013 and was designed primarily for the PCX-150. Trunk may not attach and lock on base properly and fall off without warning
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Got that notice but never planning a trunk so didn't care.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I bought the Givi one. It has been working fine since I bought it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Odd, I have a 2013, and I got the notice yesterday.

If this is in fact, supposed to be for the '15, and the base was designed for the '13, why would the recall affect '13 MY bikes unless there's something wrong with the locking mechanism design on all the trunk bases?
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ish, if I'm not mistaken, the rack fits both the 2013 and 2015 models. I rec'd the recall notice awhile ago and have heard nothing more about their existence. That's ok, I like this rack (I'm a no topbox rider) and truthfully :lol: I forgot all about the recall.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Well, I have an ongoing story about this recall, and the idiocy of American Honda.

I purchased this trunk base in the USA last year, and took it to Thailand. Even though the base is made in Thailand it is not sold in Thailand. Go figure.

When I heard about the recall through a post here, I contacted American Honda customer service back in April. They told me that the part was not available yet, but I could trade the part if I brought it back to the US.

I carried it back in July. At that time, the part was not available. Early in August, they contacted me and said the part was now available and they would set up the swap at the dealer that sold me the part.

Now here is the idiotic part. After three weeks of them trying to set up the exchange, it turns out that they cannot do that because I do not have a US VIN number to tie it to. Apparently it is only a defective part if it is attached to a bike sold in the USA.

What they are doing is sending me a form to fill out. Then I have to send the base back to Honda and they will send me a new one.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

BobS wrote: Apparently it is only a defective part if it is attached to a bike sold in the USA.
Say no more... this totally makes sense now. Whilst we American's take all precaution and irritation that comes with the rest of the world is living on the wild side. It's all about who has more lawyers :lol:
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

BobS wrote:I purchased this trunk base in the USA last year, and took it to Thailand. Even though the base is made in Thailand it is not sold in Thailand. Go figure.
It is probably because it was made at plant/factory that is in one of the "work zone" locations where manufacturer's are permitted to set up shop and produce as much as they want, just so long as they employ local Thais. But they are able to sell the products in Thailand in competition with other Thai non "work zone" plants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Factories can be set up with the Thai government for export only sales or for selling locally and overseas.

Years ago, Triumph built a factory in Thailand to produce bikes for export only. When Triumph started marketing in Thailand, the bikes had to be exported, then imported for sale (on paper only, not physically). The costs involved made the price of the bikes $25,000 to $30,000 USD, depending on the model.

A couple years ago, Triumph changed the registration of the factory to allow domestic sales. The bike prices went down 50%.

Great for the new buyer, but completely screwed any customer that had bought at the old price. Not much demand for used bikes that are more expensive than new ones.

I think that the Honda trunk base is made in Thailand because of lower cost - but specifically to fit the Honda trunk sold in the US. There are so many aftermarket trunks and fit kits available in Thailand that Honda doesn't bother selling an overpriced set.

I bought the rack because I wanted a metal one and it looked better than racks available in Thailand.