First performance upgrade(s) for long journey - Top Speed

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

davetilford
Year: 2013
Color: White

First performance upgrade(s) for long journey - Top Speed

Post by davetilford »

Hi All,

Firstly thanks for all the help and support you have all given on other posts, i have been reviewing this forum as a non member for the past few months, and 2 weeks ago finally purchased my PCX 125, and i totally love it.

I've got a couple of big journeys coming up, sadly no other vehicle available so will have to use the PCX

Ive heard a lot about performance upgrades, exhausts, tyres, screens, exhausts and such and i am wondering which will benefit me the most to start with. From what i can see a lot of these things only give gaisn if paired with another item or for a already tuned scoot.

I have just ordered a larger screen, i am nearly 6ft and about 200lbs

I was wondering if a larger rear tyre would be the way to go (heard good things) or if i should look at an exhaust or roller swap, but really just after some good advice.

I have a week until i go so something like a big bore kit will not only be out the question on price, but also on time aswell.

I appreciate i will not change the world with these thing, but am looking for marginal gains where possible.

Thanks in advance
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: First performance upgrade(s) for long journey - Top Spee

Post by Mel46 »

The problem would be getting the items in and installing them in that short of a time. Also, we don't know where you are so our help may be beyond you if you can not get the parts there. Please add your location so that we can give you better info.
If you live where you can get the parts quickly, the install only takes an hour of your time. I personally installed NCY variator AND drive face, plus 13 gram rollers. These increased my off the line time plus top end. However, I understand that some countries do not have access to NCY parts...thus the request for location, please.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
davetilford
Color: White

Post by davetilford »

Thanks for the reply, and I will add the info to my profile now. I am based in Leicester in UK
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

I have to second Mel.
Start with sharing your location and year of your bike so that we can give you better educated information. Depending on your location you might not be able to receive the upgrades until you have to leave.
I don't know howmany kms you have on the bike, but it has a fairly low maintenacd period (5k mikesnor 8k kilometers), with the first service to be done at 600mi or 1000km. Make sure that no service is due while you're on the road.

Also as a tourer I'd say never leave on a longer trip with last minute untested changes on your ride. My golden rule is that I do any major change only if ai have a chance to go on a shake down ride which is at least a few bours long and should still have time for minor adjustments based on the results.

Potentially the best changes you can have on your bike on the long term are a larger windscreen (as I understand you already have one), a better rear shock (YSS Z or G series seem to be very good choices), a good variator (Mel is a great advocate of NCY, while in Europe a Malossi Multivar might potentially a better choice and others praise the Jcosta), and with your build I'd potentially consider something to ease butt soreness. Some peeps have air pads or gels for this. Exhausts and other bolt-on gimmicks are more in the bling category - real performace is only to be gained with a big bore kit - bu unless you're mechanically inclined and enjoy wrenching - I would not go that way.

Larger tires (there are folks who installed 140 wide tires at the back, but I'd say no-no on stock wheels, and one also have to have offset rear shocks to install those. I run a compromise size of 120/80 R14 at the back which gives a bit longer final gearing, but loses almost the same on fuel economy due to larger friction also.

Depending on the nature of your longer trip I'd rather spend time and effort on preparing itineriary, packing and practicing rather than doing last minute changes.

Enjoy bith the ride as well as the preparation - and don't forget to share your ride report with us. Remember - pictures or it didn't happen.
stevecbr
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by stevecbr »

I had a large givi screen fitted to mine when I bought it, but found it knocked a few mph off the top speed (wouldn't go above 60mph). Replaced with standard and a bit quicker (62mph on A roads), and I dont get any wetter in the rain. I think they are restricted electronically in the UK, you can feel the restrictor kicking in at 62mph, and even slipstreaming vans its never gone any faster. Without spending lots, I would be suprised if you could increase top speed
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

You can get a bit on them by fiddling with rollers, or fitting Dr pulley sliders, (13g sliders worked best for me and a puig screen) but only by 5mph or so. It's only got 11bhp so unless you fit gear up kits and increase the displacement it's about your lot.

I fitted a takegawa pulley and it was a bit better but not really much faster. The mid range acceleration is improved though but nothing startling.

Sent from my iPad