Shad SH40 Cargo?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Shad SH40 Cargo?

Post by Eiron »

I've noticed that top boxes in the range of 33L to 37L seem to be most popular with folks here. I like the sleeker look of the Shad SH33 (and SH39), but the utility of the extra rack on top of the SH40 box seems like a great idea. I might be willing to forego aesthetics in favor of utility. :geek:

Is anyone using this box?

Also, does anyone know anything about online retailer Motardinn? Their prices are suspiciously low for genuine Shad merchandise.

Thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Shad SH40 Cargo?

Post by gn2 »

Remember that the 4kg carrying capacity of the box includes anything on the rack.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

gn2 wrote:Remember that the 4kg carrying capacity of the box includes anything on the rack.
Good point, especially since I've read a couple of Shad reviews that mentioned the box ripping off of its rack mount! Although, I'd imagine the box is flexible enough to remind me not to overload it?
I was thinking it might be nice for strapping on bulkier items that wouldn't fit inside the box, like a camping chair, but maybe that kind of item would strap down okay in the pillion spot?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I would be afraid to stack stuff too high on a tailbox. I don't think they are able to handle the load plus the wind pressure. I have seen a wider tailbox on a wider base handle a rack on top, but when you go up without going out you will be building an inverted pyramid, with a lot of pressure on the base.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Mel46 wrote:I would be afraid to stack stuff too high on a tailbox. I don't think they are able to handle the load plus the wind pressure. I have seen a wider tailbox on a wider base handle a rack on top, but when you go up without going out you will be building an inverted pyramid, with a lot of pressure on the base.
Yeah, I agree. If it was built as sturdy as the Givi Monokey boxes, then it might be a lot less worrisome.

I ride with a full-face helmet. Does anyone know if the 33L boxes have enough volume to hold my jacket & gloves along with my helmet?

Thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You're unlikely to get jacket and helmet in a 33l box, but one of them could go under the seat.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Eiron...yes if no pillion then strapping bags and things like camping seat to the pillion seat is the solution..I do that...easily fixed to the supports for the rack..
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Eiron wrote:
gn2 wrote:Remember that the 4kg carrying capacity of the box includes anything on the rack.
Good point, especially since I've read a couple of Shad reviews that mentioned the box ripping off of its rack mount! Although, I'd imagine the box is flexible enough to remind me not to overload it?
I was thinking it might be nice for strapping on bulkier items that wouldn't fit inside the box, like a camping chair, but maybe that kind of item would strap down okay in the pillion spot?
You'll need a bigger box to fit your helmet and much else inside.
However, if the box is mostly empty while you're actually riding the scooter, no issues. Just don't go putting 12-packs in there.
axeltow
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by axeltow »

I read somewhere else that I shouldn't get anything less than 39L.

I'd would love to hear your opinions on this as I am thinking of a SHAD 39 or 40L too.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

I have a Shad SH45. It sat on my 300 Forza for a year and it's now on my CB500X. Absolutely no stability problems, better quality than Givi IMO and fits 2 full-face helmets in. It's got a back rest on and I've never had any concerns about it the box failing or coming off.

I also fitted the auxiliary brake light to the mount plate which covers the coverage removed by the overhanging rack.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

And Motardinn are fine. They're mainland Europe which is why they're cheap. Though I got AJ Sutton to price match my shad stuff with them.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by outlander »

I have an sh40 on my pcx. I fitted the backrest too. It is solid and have loaded it beyond the specs state, no problems at all. Shad cuatomer service ia terrible though.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

gn2 wrote:You're unlikely to get jacket and helmet in a 33l box, but one of them could go under the seat.
Thanks, I (reluctantly) agree, & decided to go with a bigger box.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

dergav wrote:Eiron...yes if no pillion then strapping bags and things like camping seat to the pillion seat is the solution..I do that...easily fixed to the supports for the rack..
Good to know! I still have to give it a try!
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

axeltow wrote:I read somewhere else that I shouldn't get anything less than 39L.
I'd would love to hear your opinions on this as I am thinking of a SHAD 39 or 40L too.
Well, I think it depends on what you're trying to carry. I have an XL full-face helmet & a fairly bulky jacket. If I didn't have the jacket, I'd definitely get the 33L box, or maybe even the 29L box. But for what I have, I think a 36L box (like the Givi B360N) would be the absolute minimum. So, anything between 36L to 40L would probably be great for 99% of my needs.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Mister Paul wrote:... I also fitted the auxiliary brake light to the mount plate which covers the coverage removed by the overhanging rack.
Where did you get your auxiliary brake light?
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Eiron wrote:
Mister Paul wrote:... I also fitted the auxiliary brake light to the mount plate which covers the coverage removed by the overhanging rack.
Where did you get your auxiliary brake light?
It's a Shad part....

http://www.wheelup.it/gb_en/outlet/d0b4 ... t-kit.html
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Thanks Mister Paul!

Okay, one last question:
Are there any reasonably priced options for buying a Shad PCX frame mount?
The lowest cost I can find is directly from Shad ($64 + $15 s&h = $79).
If Shad Direct is the lowest cost, where would I find a Coupon Code?

Thanks!
axeltow
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by axeltow »

Which case did you decide to go for ?
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Hi axeltow,

I'm sure you've been reading all the same reviews (& videos) I have, so you're probably just as confused as I am! :lol:
Price & quality seemed to be a tie with both Givi & Shad, so I went with looks.

The Givi boxes are a little more expensive than the Shad, while the Givi bike mount is a little less expensive than the Shad.
However, I preferred the looks of the Shad SH39 over either the Givi B37N or E370 Monolock boxes, & feel the styling 'fits' the PCX better.

I found the best price from an eBay seller located in France. I'm hesitant to identify the seller until I receive mine & verify that they send me the right stuff.

Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck finding a discounted frame mount for the 2015 PCX. Direct from Shad is $79, & that's the lowest price I can find so far.