PCX150 weight limit

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jacob2cold
Year: 2018
Color: Navy Blue

PCX150 weight limit

Post by jacob2cold »

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and searching around I couldn't find a specific enough answer so I decided to post.

I'm looking at getting a newer PCX150. Probably a 2013 or a 2016.

I've read a lot about the weight limit on these things. I weight 346lbs and I'm 6"1. In the owners manual it says as follows:
Load Limits
Following are the load limits for your scooter:
Maximum weight capacity:
180 kg (397 lb) ... Except KO type
152 kg (335 lb) ... KO type only

Could someone explain what "KO type" is? And riding around the weight limit, what should I expect? Speed and ride-wise.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PCX150 weight limit

Post by chicaboo »

I'm just shy of 260lbs and the stock shocks used to bottom out with my weight.
I would advise upgrading the rear shocks to YSS XXL Z series and shim the fork springs with increased oil weight too.

Although, you would probably find the Forza or any larger scooter a more comfortable balance for your weight.
The stock PCX 150 would barely do 58mph with my weight when I first got it. Now it does 71mph reliably with mods.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Think of the situation this way: Love for riding the PCX will give you an incentive to slim down a little.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Sorry that no-one is answering your simple question.
I had a Forza....so don't kniw the difference between the two variations you mentioned.
If you can visit these scooters....the prominently displayed sticker will give you the gross weight safe for the scooter....and sometimes the vehicle weight. Subtract one from the ither to get carrying capacity.
BTW....most scooters bottom out with most riders , one time or another, due to limited suspension travel of all scooters.....with or w/o mods....suspension travel isn't changed just stiffness, color and price of the shocks.
Many many bikes and scooters of all engine sizes have a load capacity in the mid to high 300's. Amazingly....bigger doesn't often get you big increase in load capacity. Not much for it between Forza snd Pcx.
Fish
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

.BTW...not that I would recommend it --- but a whole lot of motorcycles and scooters are carrying more weight than specified in the owner's manual. Most two-up riders are over that limit .
Fish
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

fish wrote:Sorry that no-one is answering your simple question.
I had a Forza....so don't kniw the difference between the two variations you mentioned.
If you can visit these scooters....the prominently displayed sticker will give you the gross weight safe for the scooter....and sometimes the vehicle weight. Subtract one from the ither to get carrying capacity.
BTW....most scooters bottom out with most riders , one time or another, due to limited suspension travel of all scooters.....with or w/o mods....suspension travel isn't changed just stiffness, color and price of the shocks.
Many many bikes and scooters of all engine sizes have a load capacity in the mid to high 300's. Amazingly....bigger doesn't often get you big increase in load capacity. Not much for it between Forza snd Pcx.
Fish
And then you go off on a tangent without answering any of his simple questions. :|

KO type is the Korean model as explained on page 4 of the manual.
Marshallscottw1
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Marshallscottw1 »

chicaboo wrote:The stock PCX 150 would barely do 58mph with my weight when I first got it. Now it does 71mph reliably with mods.
I'd LOVE to know each and every MOD you've performed on your PCX 150!

I own '16 PCX 150 and love it. But as human nature would have it, I want bigger, better and faster. Getting a Forza or a Reflex isn't an option so upgrades it is. I've read that the Roller weight, belt and clutch are the only mods?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

For my first year with the PCX only, my wife and I would routinely go out together. We pretty handily bury that 397 weight limit, and little scootie never complained. 50-55 mph was no problem - never had the need to go faster than that with the two of us. I did (and still do) dance around man hole covers and other road imperfections - replacement shocks would probably be really nice.

BTW - you will weigh more with a decent cycling jacket, helmet and boots.... Ride on - you will be fine.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Marshallscottw1,

Did you find your answer as to what mods are needed in order to reach 71 mph with the scooter? Since my bikes have been modded it is somewhat easy for me to say what you need in order to get more out of your PCX.

1. Taller windshield than what comes with the pcx from the factory.
2. Replace your shocks for more comfort at higher speeds.
3. NCY variator AND drive face to allow the belt to move farther out, giving you more topend.
4. New belt if your belt has more than 5,000 miles on it.
5. Change the rollers to 13 gram for quicker takeoff.
6. A full face shield to keep the bugs out of your teeth when you are smiling at the new-found top end.

I hope this answers your question.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Marshallscottw1 wrote:
chicaboo wrote:The stock PCX 150 would barely do 58mph with my weight when I first got it. Now it does 71mph reliably with mods.
I'd LOVE to know each and every MOD you've performed on your PCX 150!

I own '16 PCX 150 and love it. But as human nature would have it, I want bigger, better and faster. Getting a Forza or a Reflex isn't an option so upgrades it is. I've read that the Roller weight, belt and clutch are the only mods?
My 2015 150 would only go as fast as the rev limiter allowed, which was an annoying 'pulse' between 62-63mph. I think chicaboo's mods are different from mine. I swapped out the stock drive setup with a Yuminashi variator kit and 10g rollers, and now I run out of power at around 73-75mph with the rev limiter never kicking in. I had already mounted the Honda OEM tall windscreen and Shad SH39 top box (for comfort and convenience) before adding the Yuminashi upgrade.