New PCX150 owner......love it...but need info please

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Hasbro
Year: 2015
Color: black

New PCX150 owner......love it...but need info please

Post by Hasbro »

Hi,
Just recently upgraded from a Metropolitan scooter to a 2015 PCX150. I love it, but like any kid with a new toy I want to know if I can tinker with it performance wise and also cosmetic wise. Can someone direct me to where I might be able to purchase additional body pieces to change the appearance and also the performance? I have no idea where to look or what is available.

Only complaint I have is the wind in my face factor. I purchased the Honda extended windscreen and while it helped some, I still get blasted really hard in the face. Funny, but when I duck down a bit so the screen is just below eye level, all is calm and serene. Can someone suggest a good add on wind screen to take care of this issue? I am 5'9" tall. Or is an improved helmet with flip down face shield also able to reduce the wind noise and buffeting? BTW, the Honda extended screen is a dollar rip off as far as I am concerned......way over priced IMHO.

I never knew a scooter could be so fun to drive and am enjoying it immensely. I'd go for the larger Forza scooter, but the dollars are a bit steep for my budget. Still, I am wanting to upgrade a bit if enhanced performance is possible without breaking the bank. How about different tires for better performance or shocks, or anything you might suggest?

One last detail......is it possible to get different colors of body pieces to jazz it up a bit?

Thank you in advance for any helpful info.

Loren In Medford Oregon
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: New PCX150 owner......love it...but need info please

Post by Mel46 »

Givi makes an extra tall windscreen and so does National Cycle. As for parts, well of Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) you might try Partzilla.com or Bikebandit.com. For fancy add on stuff you could go to the store in Thailand many of us use. That is Powerbypcx.com. If you can't read their site use the Google browser (Chrome) which will translate the site for you. The show prices in Euros but you can change the settings up to show US DOLLARS (USD). Yes, shipping is expensive, but over all the prices are quite reasonable for many of the items. Just be sure to choose the correct model of PCX. The 125cc and the 150cc use the same parts. It is the year model you need to be worried about out.
...and the there is this one: http://japan.webike.net/HONDA/PCX150/6334/m/
...and this one: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/dvg
...and this one: http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-ma ... -air-pants
...and this one: http://www.moto-works.jp/bikes/pcx125.html
...and this one: http://motorcycle-gadgets.com/viewitem. ... ductid=288

You get the picture. Lots and lots of places to find parts to drool over. Good luck. I am sure I missed quite a few. Others can add them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Thank you Mel 46. I appreciate the heads up. I will browse shortly.

Loren
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The tall Givi windshield for your particular year seems to be the D1130ST
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi ... -2014-2016
I can't find the National Cycle one for that year yet.
Also, there are add-ons for your current windshield, but the price is close to that of buying a whole new windshield.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

I'm having fun researching new items and the such. I did an experiment and crouched down a little and if the current windshield hits just below my eye level, all is quiet and wonderful. I notice the Givi narrows a lot at the top while the National comes in three lengths.
The tall one looks rather silly so i don't want to go that route unless it is possible to cut it down a bit without damaging it. Is that possible?

The National comes in three heights... http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nati ... gQod30MFQQ and I'm thinking the middle height might do the trick.

The other option is to find a helmet that kills all the wind in your face and noise......is there such a thing?

Back to exploring the unknown.. :o)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Here is a link of my scooter with the tall National windshield. It should give you some insight as to height and real life appearance. I did the video on some other subject , like adding a satellite radio and such. Hopefully this will give you some insight. By the way. it is fantastic and no wind in my face at all . Very effective against the wind ..looks wise..you be the judge , but sometimes its about comfort.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvV-j2ZMUDvrmg9g6NLfgHJGUbPQ
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the PCX. A simple rule of thumb with scooters, if you want to go a certain speed, get a scooter that's capable of such in the first place. By the time you mod a 150cc scooter to make it behave like a bigger machine, you may end up spending as much as you would have on that Forza you mentioned. On top of that, you have a 2015, so you're pretty much stuck at 65 top speed, though I understand there is a hack for that (but I think I'd avoid it). You can swap the variator and rollers to change acceleration, and there are aftermarket exhausts available, cut those will only affect acceleration/fuel economy.

I have aftermarket shocks, exhaust, and Givi short windscreen on my 2013, the windscreen dropped my top speed to 65, and the exhaust to 64, but I did get 10 more mpg in the bargain with the exhaust. Kinda a crap shoot. The shocks improved the rise substantially.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Mel, Easy Rider, Paul, and any who may choose to reply in the future......I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and experiences. It is important for a 'newbie' (me) to garner as much info as he/she can before they run out and spend a lot of money on products that don't give the desired results Case in point, my add on windscreen from Honda. Not only was it very expensive, it did not do much to reduce the jet blast that I am currently facing every time I go above 10 mph. At that speed I'll never get there.

I just came in from having done some more 'duck a bit and learn' testing in jet blast temps of 100 degrees here in Southern Oregon. It is amazing how just an inch or two of height difference between your eye level and the top of the windscreen makes such a huge difference in wind blast.

While the stock windscreen on the 150 is just about as sexy as a windscreen can be, I have decided to get another taller screen, and if it is just too funny looking as you say Easyrider, I will cut it down till I find the minimum height I need to keep me from drying out my delicate facial features........delicate I wish.

There is a window replacement site or two locally that works with Lexan quite a bit and I imagine they can do a custom alteration for me.

Thus far I am averaging 105 mpg so I am not concerned too much about an additional height with the screen. I've topped out at 63 mph so far so I think that is about all I'll ever be able to get out of her. And I will leave the tinkering for more speed idea on the shelf.

I have researched a bit about after market shocks so how much money do I need to spend to get a better ride? I see some for over $600 and I'm thinking they must be awfully good for that kind of price. Also thinking of some different tires........

Paul, I will leave the mods to some other fellow who must go faster and Easyrider, it is indeed all about comfort at my age..........68.

As I gather an information base I hope to someday be able to add something to other's questions. Thanks guys.
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Doh!....one more question for now that is. I've seen some nice looking after market seats that appear to be a bit more comfortable along with the rear rider back support option. Does anyone have after market seats info they would share?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The site is an excellent resource. Browsing it and searching would give you a lot of information to help with your questions.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Hasbro wrote:Mel, Easy Rider, Paul, and any who may choose to reply in the future......I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and experiences. It is important for a 'newbie' (me) to garner as much info as he/she can before they run out and spend a lot of money on products that don't give the desired results Case in point, my add on windscreen from Honda. Not only was it very expensive, it did not do much to reduce the jet blast that I am currently facing every time I go above 10 mph. At that speed I'll never get there.

I just came in from having done some more 'duck a bit and learn' testing in jet blast temps of 100 degrees here in Southern Oregon. It is amazing how just an inch or two of height difference between your eye level and the top of the windscreen makes such a huge difference in wind blast.
Windscreens are a subjective thing. What one person likes, another will find distasteful for whatever reason. Case in point, I like a windscreen that still allows the wind to hit my helmet, but blocks it from my chest. Some want no wind to hit them at all. You've got to choose what fits your personal taste.
Thus far I am averaging 105 mpg so I am not concerned too much about an additional height with the screen. I've topped out at 63 mph so far so I think that is about all I'll ever be able to get out of her. And I will leave the tinkering for more speed idea on the shelf.

Probably for the best. The machine is built to a purpose and meddling with that isn't really a great idea, though it has been done.
I have researched a bit about after market shocks so how much money do I need to spend to get a better ride? I see some for over $600 and I'm thinking they must be awfully good for that kind of price. Also thinking of some different tires........

Paul, I will leave the mods to some other fellow who must go faster and Easyrider, it is indeed all about comfort at my age..........68.

As I gather an information base I hope to someday be able to add something to other's questions. Thanks guys.
The price of shocks can come as quite a shock (ha ha), but anywhere in the $300+ range is not surprising. Mine are NCY's from scooterworks.com, but I do not know if they would work on a 2015. You could always ask them. They cost $370, but if you're looking for comfort, seat and suspension are where it is at. If you don't mind ordering from Thailand, you can get decent YSS shocks for about half that price, but you have to wait for shipping, and if they don't fit, shipping them back...well, I went with a U.S. distributor to avoid headaches, but UPS delivered them to the Amazon building instead of to the school I was attending...as it was, it only added three days to the shipping time as opposed to three months. LOL.

Seats...there's a lot about seats to be gleaned from these hallowed halls. The 2015-17 models have a different seat from the 2011-13 models. There are aftermarket options available, but again, many are from Thailand. TBH, there's a ton of great stuff for the PCX available there...I almost want to just move there and be done with it...LOL.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Hasbro wrote: And I will leave the tinkering for more speed idea on the shelf.
Stick to this and you will be wise.
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

Personally, I can't recommend National Cycle windscreens enough. They're polycarbonate, install in about 10 minutes, and aren't as expensive as Givi or Puig if you shop around a bit.

Welcome aboard, and please, by all means, post a photo-log thread of the modifications you make. One never knows who might learn from it.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

Hasbro wrote:windscreen from Honda. Not only was it very expensive, it did not do much to reduce the jet blast that I am currently facing every time I go above 10 mph. At that speed I'll never get there.

While the stock windscreen on the 150 is just about as sexy as a windscreen can be, I have decided to get another taller screen, and if it is just too funny looking as you say Easyrider, I will cut it down till I find the minimum height I need to keep me from drying out my delicate facial features........delicate I wish.

There is a window replacement site or two locally that works with Lexan quite a bit and I imagine they can do a custom alteration for me.
I have a full face helmet, so I don't know what the wind feels like without at normal operating speeds. My windscreen experience is that you will need a tall screen, at least, if you want to kill the wind in the face and the wind noise. I'm 5'8", I tried a National Cycle short screen hoping to be able to duck below it at high speeds to get out of the wind. That works, but wind noise around the helmet increased substantially. I don't think the medium would be tall enough to kill it, based on similar "ducking and testing."

I've got a v-strom 650 and the stock screen puts a huge amount of roaring noise around my helmet. I took it off. Much better. But I don't mind the general feeling of wind on my chest and head, just dislike the roaring noise the too short screens created.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Only wear an open face helmet if you are happy using your face as a brake.
Full face every time.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Only wear an open face helmet if you are happy using your face as a brake.

Isn't that impractical?
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

Hasbro,

I was in the exact same boat as yourself. The stock screen did not work for me in the least...I actually ordered the Honda tall screen while in negotiations for the bike.

When I got the screen on, my chest felt a heck of a lot better, but my head was getting knocked all over the place. Ear plugs did help out a lot (I guess the sound was the worst part), but I ended up with this on top of the Honda part.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig ... reen-visor

I am happy with the end result, but the price for both of these could have gotten me several of the other windscreens.

As for the seat:

I ended up ordering two seats from Bikerbits, the flat one and the more sculpted one.

Initially, I hated the sculpted one (forget the number for the moment) but after I started riding with better posture (i.e. sitting up a bit higher, taking the pressure off shoulders and knees) the sculped one is where it is as (for me at least).

Either/or, you've gotten yourself a great jack-of-all trades bike - the PCX has done everything I have asked of it and I could not be happier.

Welcome to the fold,

Mike
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

There's always the option of getting the seat cover reupholstered. The you can have it to your own spec.

Better foam and lizard skin for me :D.

Earplugs are good advice. I only got the screen to make the bike look a little bigger as I'm way too tall for it.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

See my post about my mods in my sig, lots of seats, windshields and body parts. I like bikerzbits.com
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Wingscribe wrote: As for the seat:
I ended up ordering two seats from Bikerbits, the flat one and the more sculpted one.
Initially, I hated the sculpted one (forget the number for the moment) but after I started riding with better posture (i.e. sitting up a bit higher, taking the pressure off shoulders and knees) the sculped one is where it is as (for me at least).
Mike
If you get a sculpted seat of some sort, does it sit lower than the stock seat? I am 5'9" and while I can almost put my foot flat on the ground while stopped, (not really an issue), if the seat allowed me to sit a bit lower, that would kill some of the wind issue, right?

I have more questions, but will do a bit more R&D before asking.

Seems the more I R&D, the more confused I become with no assurance I'll be making the right choices. I don't want to purchase items and then decide I don't like them and have parts lying around. That may be the way the learning curve goes though?

Thanks,
Loren
aka... Hasbro