For your consideration

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

Re: For your consideration

Post by d1ckyh »

After 4 years with a Chinese knock off and the constant problems, I decided to go for a PCX. I use my scooter as my main transportation and while I was able to fix most anything that went wrong, it became more of a nuisance than a pleasure to own a scooter. I carried spare parts and a full set of tools around with me for the inevitable breakdown. 3 months in with my new PCX, I find it a pleasure to ride again. It is a solid scooter and a joy to ride. Takeoff- speed and handling are all acceptable to me and I bought it knowing it's limitations.

If I wanted something faster, I would have bought something bigger. The PCX fits my needs like a glove and couldn't be happier. I longer worry that I may breakdown every time I get on it. I bought it for peace of mind and it gives me just that.
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have 2 pcx 150's in our household. Both are 2013 models. I have read on here somewhere that the new PCX only has a 149cc engine, while our 2013 models have 153cc engines. I have no idea how much or little a difference that really makes, but it is something to consider.

I put the NCY variator, etc. on my wife's bike and it is faster than mine. Because she can't ride at the moment, I take turns exercising each bike. Her bike is a joy to ride. So is mine, but there is a 10 mph difference in their top ends.
I bought the NCY variator for mine and will swap it shortly. I don't need to go really fast on my scooter. I just need to be able to keep up with traffic when climbing hills. I think they drop about 10 mph going up the hills around here. My wife's bike can make up for that loss because of that variator set up. My bike can't. On a flat road hers could reach 75 mph, if I wanted to. I don't. It is just nice to have a reserve.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

gn2 wrote:If you gain something by adjusting the CVT you will lose something else.
I had some problems with the rear replacement clutch kit on an NYC kit not fitting.

What is your view about the rear clutch? Is it simpler just to remain with the original Honda clutch ? or is there a better after market choice ?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I would have to say that AFTER YOU REPLACE THE BAD CLUTCH BEARINGS you should just keep the original Honda clutch. I don't think you will be content with changing the clutch to an aftermarket one, and you might find yourself tinkering with that more than riding. However, that becomes a question that only you can answer.

I, for one, am quite happy with my setup now, which is NCY variator, drive face and 13 gram rollers. The bikes will both top out in the 70 mph+ range, though the older one is slowing some now due to belt wear. I think 75 mph is quite high enough for a bike so light. I doubt that you could get much more out of them anyway.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:Before you embark on a voyage of discovery tinkering and tweaking your PCXs bits and bobs, here's a few things to think about...

Here's a fact: No matter what you do to the variator it is the amount of horsepower available which determines how fast it can go.

Fact number two: To get real performance gains you need to change the CVT properties AND significantly increase the available horsepower.

The PCX was designed from the outset as a vehicle to give good economy in cities.
It has a modest power output of just 11.2 bhp.
It has a very simple two valve cylinder head.
It has a maximum speed of 100kph.

Now compare this with the best in class, arguably the Yamaha X-max 125 which has a four valve head, develops 15 bhp, and will do (wait for it) 115kph.
So if you can manage to get parts which will increase the power of a PCX by 25%, you might see a 15% speed increase.

Going one step further, the X-max has a 250cc big brother, it has 21 bhp and it manages 140kph.
So if you can squeeze an extra 80% out of a PCX (big bore kit plus tuning parts?) you might get an extra 40% speed.

It is because the PCX is a simple 125cc two valve economy scooter that it is extremely unlikely that anyone will ever get one to do a decent top speed with decent fuel economy for less money than it would cost to trade it in for a 250.
Well said.

Fish