Came off!!!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RichyP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: White

Came off!!!

Post by RichyP »

hi guys,

Been riding for 3 years and got caught out yesterday and came off!

I was doing around 10-15 mph going onto a turnoff off a roundabout and the incline, sharp turn and terrible rain meant the back-end just went. I cant figure out how it happened, whether i was going too slow, just a slight increase in acceleration and terrible conditions (rain was awful) and it was next to the supermarkets petrol station (potential fuel on the road) - I think it might have been a mixture of all of the above to be honest.

it was a miracle that the only damage was a scuff to the side panel below where you put your left foot, and nothing else! The left mirror kinda propped the bike up as it skidded along the floor and stopped the rest of the bike having any other contact with the floor.

I was wearing all my protective gear, so apart from being a little sore I was ok, and abit shook up!
My instincts of self preservation just kicked in the second I hit the deck, which was to get up and get the hell out of the road ASAP, thankfully there was nothing behind me or it might have ended a little different!

So take care out there guys, and i can honestly say, my armoured gear saved me from getting tarmac / asphalt trousers!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: Came off!!!

Post by Mel46 »

Unfortunately, when it rains a lot of the oil and excess fuel, etc. come to the surface. You have to be extra careful, especially in curves during that time. I am glad that you are OK. Bikes can be fixed. It is much harder to fix a person. Now that you have become aware of the possibility of fuel and oil on the road during rain you can adjust for it by slowing down and possibly putting your feet out in a ready position if you feel it slipping. Some riders here have had no problems with their tires, but I found the original IRC tires to not grip as well during rain as some of the others on the market. It might be worthwhile to check into replacing them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

mac&chief3.jpg
mac&chief3.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
And that's a wrap for June people, no more topples this month please.
Sorry to hear you went down brother, but great to hear you survived. Unfortunately we do need to add you to the hall of fame. So Chief if you could give the man a hug... lets get back out there.

Post a pic of the damage when you get a chance
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

In Australia its more dangerous when it rains lightly, as that's just enough to make all the deposits on the road a nice greasy trap. Heavy rain tends to clean the roads for a time. Plus it's so long between rains in some parts, people seem to forget how to drive in wet conditions.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Always treat roundabouts next to petrol stations with caution
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

The first rain after a long dry spell is like black ice down in FLA town. I recall that to be a long white knuckle slide to the crosswalk... and I'd fall for it every time.
Attachments
mac3.jpg
mac3.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Rain is nerve wracking. Manholes and painted surfaces can kill you when wet. Cracks and divisions in the pavement that you don't have to think about in dry conditions can throw you down in the rain.

I don't start out riding ever in the rain--from home, that is. If I get caught on my bikes in some kind of downpour, I try to find a place where I can lie low til the worst is over. Wet days are 4 wheel days for me. The PCX with its narrow tires is, IMHO, not a good rain bike. I have another heavier scooter with wider tires, but I don't do rain with that one either if I can help it.
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

Tuesday I came off going into a corner on the A816 enroute to Oban, Unfortunately my wee PCX didn't fair as good as yours and is in a garage waiting to be inspected by my insurance assessors :cry: :( oh, and broke my arm to boot too :oops: :( not seen it but apparently the left mirror and front mudguard was ripped off and the left side is all gouged according to the Police :cry: :cry:
Current Bike(s)~ (Casper) 2019 Honda Forza 125
Previous Bikes ~ (Rosie) 2018 Honda CB125R : (Stumpy) 2017 Honda MSX 125 (Grom) : (Ghost) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Lillith) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Gizmo) 2015 Sinnis Apache 125
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Wow, I am glad you're okay, aside from a little banging up, and sad to hear that you dinged your ride.

I don't go anywhere near the road when it's wet. I know my limitations, and I know that I don't have the current experience to handle wet roads. I worry about sliding in a regular curve/turn, to the point that I slow down when entering one. It pays to be vigilant.

Glad you're okay!
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

triaxor wrote:Tuesday I came off going into a corner on the A816 enroute to Oban, Unfortunately my wee PCX didn't fair as good as yours and is in a garage waiting to be inspected by my insurance assessors :cry: :( oh, and broke my arm to boot too :oops: :( not seen it but apparently the left mirror and front mudguard was ripped off and the left side is all gouged according to the Police :cry: :cry:
I'm so relieved you got out alive, why didn't you say something earlier? Now this is terrible, hope you feel better today. The ambulance is still on the way but you made it home safe and sound right?

Going to get you on the list but how long will it take for repairs to the precious after insurance pays off?
Attachments
scottish.jpg
scottish.jpg (10.53 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

homie wrote:
triaxor wrote:Tuesday I came off going into a corner on the A816 enroute to Oban, Unfortunately my wee PCX didn't fair as good as yours and is in a garage waiting to be inspected by my insurance assessors :cry: :( oh, and broke my arm to boot too :oops: :( not seen it but apparently the left mirror and front mudguard was ripped off and the left side is all gouged according to the Police :cry: :cry:
I'm so relieved you got out alive, why didn't you say something earlier? Now this is terrible, hope you feel better today. The ambulance is still on the way but you made it home safe and sound right?

Going to get you on the list but how long will it take for repairs to the precious after insurance pays off?
Insurance co said they'll get back to me, I got to Oban, problem is, it was in the back of an ambulance, I was lucky, after getting a cast on my arm (snapped my radius bone) and fully checked over I was discharged, the Traffic Officer I spoke to said I was lucky, I agreed, also felt like a bit of a prat for crashing in the first place too tho :(

heres my lid afterwards.. Image
Previous Bikes ~ (Rosie) 2018 Honda CB125R : (Stumpy) 2017 Honda MSX 125 (Grom) : (Ghost) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Lillith) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Gizmo) 2015 Sinnis Apache 125
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Yeesh, glad you're ok Ricky, and glad your injuries weren't worse Triaxor. That experience is never fun.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

triaxor wrote: ...heres my lid afterwards ...
If your lid took a hit, it is always recommended to replace it. Small, unseen, internal cracks/stresses can compromise its structure and lead to failure the next time it take a hit .... which hopefully won't happen again. Glad to hear you are no worse than you are.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

RichyP wrote:... I was doing around 10-15 mph going onto a turnoff off a roundabout and the incline, sharp turn and terrible rain meant the back-end just went. ...
A couple of years ago I had similar thing happen. I was only going 5-10 mph (10-15 kmh), turning into a parking spot at work, which I had always parked in without a problem. It is a very smooth concrete surface. What I did not compensate for was work being done on the exterior of hour building which had left a fine coat of dust on the already smooth service. One second I am upright, and then without any warning, I am on my side with one foot caught under the seat.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

kramnala58 wrote:
triaxor wrote: ...heres my lid afterwards ...
If your lid took a hit, it is always recommended to replace it. Small, unseen, internal cracks/stresses can compromise its structure and lead to failure the next time it take a hit .... which hopefully won't happen again. Glad to hear you are no worse than you are.
Thanks, The lid was dumped in the trash shortly after that pic was taken, got 2 spare thankfully, and I agree, I hope it doesn't happen again, next time I may not be so lucky.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Ishkabibble wrote:Wow, I am glad you're okay, aside from a little banging up
Huh?

Unless we're talking about The Terminator, a broken arm is pretty much a big banging up. No?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

It's only a flesh wound. :o
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

chicaboo wrote:It's only a flesh wound. :o
Think I'll rename myself to the Black Knight :lol:
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

triaxor wrote:
chicaboo wrote:It's only a flesh wound. :o
Think I'll rename myself to the Black Knight :lol:
Then you could say it reaches the ground. ;)
I hope that wasn't your ergonomically correct arm... :|
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

update..

Post by triaxor »

A little update, Insurance assessors just called, the verdict is that my beloved PCX is uneconomical to repair, yep that's right folks, she's been written off :( feeling gutted :(