Insurance claim or not?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Road-Dog
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Insurance claim or not?

Post by Road-Dog »

My previous post about me hitting a deer raises an interesting question. Should I file a claim if the bike damage exceeds my comfort level of $2,000? If the bike is totaled by my dealer should I just eat it and still not file a claim? The reason for not filing a claim is I don't want an accident on my license for what I consider a nothing incident. Will my insurance rate skyrocket because of this? I have not filed a claim in 30 years and would rather eat the entire bike than be bent over by my insurance company in the future. Any opinions would help. My bike would only sell used for about $3,000 making this minor in comparison to a real claim.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Insurance claim or not?

Post by chicaboo »

If there's no mechanical damage, you can just buy the body panels online somewhat affordably.
https://bikerzbits.com/honda/forza/plastic-parts/red/
I'm not sure about the headlight assembly, that might be the only really expensive item if its all cosmetic, otherwise?

But I wouldn't bother being gouged by a Honda dealer (insane markup) or your Insurer.
Fix it yourself and then go to a suspension place to have the fork and front wheel checked over.

Gav.
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

powerbypcx.com does panel sets cheap.

But beware the paint quality doesn't match the original panels. So get a complete set, not just the one you need or after a year it will look odd.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have used bikebandit.com for many, many years now. Their parts are inexpensive and all of the panels I have received matched my originals quite well. I have also used partzilla.com
As for the headlight assembly:
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Pete07bikes
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by Pete07bikes »

Whilst you would have to pay the excess on your insurance policy I think this accident would go down as a non-fault. It's almost what Insurers call an 'Act of God'
Road-Dog

Post by Road-Dog »

I wanted to thank everyone for their time to post. All of your info/links were noted and extremely helpful. Now I have the ammunition ready should my dealer decide to take advantage. I have decided NOT to file a claim regardless what happens because I just don't want a hit for as I've noted before "plastic". Even if they "act of God" my incident a hit is still a hit. From the info/links you guys sent me assuming no other major issues with labor I'm looking at $1,000-$1,500 with plastic and $$$ labor. I can live with that! I'll let you guys...gals? know what happens when I get "the call" from the service department.

A beautiful day to put on my helmet and.............go for a run?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am glad that you have finally made a determination and are moving forward. Keep in mind what has been stated before. If you learn how to maintain your scooter yourself you will save a ton of money in the future. Plastics are cheap enough. I know that the plastics on a Forza are a bit more expensive than on a PCX, but not by much. I could change the total colors on my PCX for less than $300, so I am sure that the majority of the money you are setting aside for the repairs on your bike are for labor. When I purchased my first large scooter, a Burgman 400, I found out how expensive it was to have the dealer do even simple things like adjust the valves and change the oil. I joined a forum and learned from the members. The more I did, the more confident I became. it is worth your while, and it gives you pride to know that you can take care of your 'baby' yourself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Road-Dog

Post by Road-Dog »

Mel46. You are correct and if I had the parts list I would have attempted the job myself from day one. The dealer will call with an estimate (if repairable) and I'll make my big decision then. You are also correct in saving money from the maintenance costs and is the reason I do most of it myself. From looking at the parts price lists I'm looking at roughly $500. doing the job myself. We shall see what Honda does in another week.

in the meantime I'm running around my yard wearing my helmet.