Dash Rattle

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Dash Rattle

Post by Wingscribe »

I've searched my particular issue (with the bike, my PERSONAL issues might have to go into another forum...) and I can't find anything on this one...

One the bike is warmed up, I get a really annoying plastic rattle from the front of the bike, it one happens when I idle at a stop. I first thought it was the tall windscreen I installed, (when I held onto it, the rattle stopped) but the bolts are all tight on both sides of the mounting bracket.

I finally found the source of the rattle, the seam just forward on the dash surround (I took some pics in the parking lot this morning, but they are terrible). The seam does not seem consistent across between the two pieces, but if I give a slight whack! with my palm to the front of the dash, I take care of the problem for about five minutes.

I assume that this is a simple matter of taking a few plastic bits off and setting them properly, but I have visions of broken tabs dancing in my head.

Which brings me to the actual (TLDR) questions for you fine folk:

1. Anyone ever had this rattle before and *(more importantly) take care of it?

2. Any links to the dash surround disassembly on a 2015-16 PCX (the older model is covered quite well)...

Thanks in advance all,

Mike
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Dash Rattle

Post by Mel46 »

Well, I have a couple of 2013 models and, once I had my bike in for routine maintenance and they put it back together so badly that it rattled all the way home, where I had to take it apart again and put it back together correctly. It even had some missing screws. So the question is, has the bike been in for service? Not all motorcycle mechanics are good at taking the plastics off and reinstalling them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Wingscribe »

Mel.

Thanks for the reply.

I did take it in for the 600 mile service, but the rattle started in earnest at about 3000 miles. In addition, i know they have to strip that thing down to parade rest to check the valves, but are they taking apart the instrument cluster to do that? (honest question, nothing snarky there).

Mike
bigmike7801
Color: Dark Candy Red

Post by bigmike7801 »

I have a rattle in my 2016 150 from about that same area that only occurs when I decelerate and am close to stopping.

I haven't quite figured out where it's coming from yet. It's a bit annoying, and hard to diagnose.

Maybe I'll press down inside the glovebox and/or the dash area while driving to see if I can dampen the rattle.

It only lasts a second for me right now so it's not a big deal.
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Wingscribe »

All right,

I finally got some wrench time last evening, and I pulled off the windshield, the little "Batarang" trim surround piece and the forward cover for the instrument cluster. I started the scoot to see if I could get something (anything) to rattle, and it did not.

This was not a surprise, as the rattle never shows up until the scoot is warm (the reverse of every ICE I have ever owned), so I decided to put it all back together, but the trim piece would not fit well at the seam (about six inches forward of the dash).

The weather is looking good for the next few days, so I am going to run with the gap. In the commute this morning, there was no rattle, so I think I have successfully isolated the problem, but I will have to tinker a bit to actually fix the issue.

Abour to turn 5K on the beast...if this is the worst thing that has happened, I have to call it a pretty darned good bike...

I'll keep you all in the loop,

Mike
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Wingscribe »

Just an update, got it all back together and the noice was all gone...then another one came back...until I realized that I forgot to put the spacers on the windshield bolts...now all is well.

Whoops!

Mike