PCX Mileage and driving style

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iyernat
Year: 2019
Color: Silver

PCX Mileage and driving style

Post by iyernat »

Hello

I see a lot of posts with huge mileage claims. Some claim 125+ mpg. I am sure driving style has a lot to play here.

I need to drive 45-55 mph as I am on roads where the speed limit is at least 45 mph. I have never taken PCX on an interstate hwy. Just the county roads in Tampa FL. Where I live - there are no 35mph roads around me and I need to keep with the traffic for the most part. It will be very unsafe for me to drive slower as someone may mow me down. I cannot risk my like to save a few cents in mileage gains.

In effect - my mileage has always been around 98 - 100 mpg. Any comments are welcome.
Location - Tampa FL

Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX150, 2006 Honda ST1300
Have owned and and sold: Kawasaki Ninja R500, Honda VFR 750, Honda Silverwing
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX Mileage and driving style

Post by triaxor »

I'm on the 125 version and it claims 111mpg, funny thing is I don't ride that aggressively and roads here are like between 20 - 40MPH
Current Bike(s)~ (Casper) 2019 Honda Forza 125
Previous Bikes ~ (Rosie) 2018 Honda CB125R : (Stumpy) 2017 Honda MSX 125 (Grom) : (Ghost) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Lillith) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Gizmo) 2015 Sinnis Apache 125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Riding style?
Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by Richard »

You said any comments........
I think we need to look at the bigger picture here....do we vote in or out?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

iyernat wrote:my mileage has always been around 98 - 100 mpg. Any comments are welcome.
You're using small gallons.
Try using the proper bigger sized ones ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Richard »

gn2 wrote:
iyernat wrote:my mileage has always been around 98 - 100 mpg. Any comments are welcome.
You're using small gallons.
Try using the proper bigger sized ones ;)
Oh boom....you're good, ....in oe out?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

In or out... hmmm let me think...
Surely it's in and out...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

gn2 wrote:In or out... hmmm let me think...
Surely it's in and out...?
That not a movie starring Kevin Kline?
Current Bike(s)~ (Casper) 2019 Honda Forza 125
Previous Bikes ~ (Rosie) 2018 Honda CB125R : (Stumpy) 2017 Honda MSX 125 (Grom) : (Ghost) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Lillith) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Gizmo) 2015 Sinnis Apache 125
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Brent »

I drive 30 to 60mph roads and I usually get 96mph to 104mpg.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When my wife and I were riding together we went on extended rides most of the time, with 150 miles as our minimum on good days. We took back roads and ran at between 45 and 55 mph...leisurely rides. Our mpg was over 100 mpg...well, not a lot over...maybe 110 or so I think. We got close to 170 miles on one tank but that was really, really pushing it. We were trying for distance on a tank. She weighs less than I do, so that was factored in as well. We ended up slowing down for the last 10 miles and coasting a bit, especially on hills. I had a spare can of gas with us but she wanted to see how far she could push it. We made it, but I would not want to test it again. I was afraid that if it ran dry we would have a problem getting it to start again. I haven't had any vehicle run out of gas on me since back in the days when they had carburetors. Back then, when you ran out of gas you had to prime the carb and hope it would work. I am guessing that you don't have to do that now, because I don't know where you would prime it.
So, if you want to try your bike for distance per tank, bring a gas can with you and just ride until you think you should run out. Don't use the fuel gauge as your determining factor. It isn't correct, and you will probably have around a gallon left when it hits the red mark. Use the trip meter . When it gets close to 145 miles, then you start paying attention to it. You will be getting low, possibly on fumes if you weigh much or have a headwind, or both. Our bikes are the 2013 pcx 150s, so they have the smaller tank. I think they have 1.5 gallon tanks. If you got 100 mpg, you could expect to get 150 miles on a tank. Anything more than that would be well worth noting. Honda only shows the limit per tank as 144 miles. Each rider is different, and there are a lot of factors to include, like riding style, winds, hills, weather, rider weight, and whether you have a windshield or not. I have found that we did better with a full windshield. Otherwise, it felt like we were pushing against the wind instead of it flowing around us.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

I ride my '13 like I stole it and it's been returning just under 96 (u.s.) mpg. Lots of WOT. Between 50 nd 60 mph on most of my route.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

iyernat wrote:In effect - my mileage has always been around 98 - 100 mpg. Any comments are welcome.
This is perfectly normal and comports with the estimated MPG on Honda's USA website for the 2015 and 2016 PCX 150, see below:
Honda USA wrote: 100 MPG - Honda's fuel economy estimates are based on EPA exhaust emission measurement test procedures and are intended for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride, how you maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, installation of accessories, cargo, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.
My mileage usually reads about 102 - 103 mpg, it's probably slightly less in reality but I've never bothered to calculate it by hand.

Remember that many folks on here live overseas where their PCX's are of the 125 variety and might be equipped with the idle stop feature, so I would expect them to get better mileage than a PCX with the 150 engine and without the idle stop like we get in the USA.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

My Fuelly tag shows great mpg based on fuel in, trip miles (UK miles!). This month my PCX has been stunning again on fuel efficiency - mpg gauge shows 140mpg and that is usually within a few mpg accuracy, but I will go by fuel in and trip miles when I fill up (3 weeks time as I've parked up for hols).
On the way in and over the last mile, my double solid went to single solid line and my trip shows 222 miles - so at least 20-30 more as I can ride on a flashing bar for 10-15 miles. Excellent bike.
I ride in town only, commuting so no traffic in the morning (2-3am) and usual jam and filtering going home. Speed 30-40mph coming in, much less average going home. No valves ever checked, still on original air filter at 9000 miles now done.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

One thing you have to take into consideration, those claiming mileage in the 130's are generally using imperial gallons, not U.S. gallons. Those calculating on U.S. gallons generally don't see much over 100 if that.

Personally, I have averaged 91.9 mpg over the last ten fill-ups. That is based on U.S. Gallons as calculated by fuelly. My riding does tend to be a bit aggressive speed wise and that includes some highway riding.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

My last tank averaged 96.8 us mpg(computer said 103), hand calculated running anywhere from 35-65mph and occasion bouts at 70-72mph. When I only had NYC variator and face the bike with similar riding style and less speed I averaged 75-83mpg.

I now run the NYC variator and face plate with 13g rollers, malossi exhaust without the baffle and givi 1130st windshield which helped in every perspective. I'm a 5'8" and 220 pound rider. The key is to not run full throttle and really once over 50 mph mileage starts dropping pretty quickly. For me 50 mph is the sweet spot at and average of around 100-110mpg depending on wind. Also it's relatively flat here in Michigan where I'm at.
2015 pcx with NYC variator and faceplate and 13g NYC rollers
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

honkerman wrote:, those claiming mileage in the 130's are generally using imperial gallons, not U.S. gallons. Those calculating on U.S. gallons generally don't see much over 100 if that.
I guess I'm not in this general group.

If it is style of riding, yes I'm mostly cruising at a target speed of 60-80kmh (37-50mph). I think an important factor is total weight, i.e. rider's weight plus luggage. I am very light and don't carry heavy luggage or passenger. I think that helps improve my fuel efficiency a lot.
ImageImageImage
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

Averaging right around 100 US mpg on a mixed urban/rural commute route. Speeds probably average 40-45mph. Still gathering data, since the bike's new this year.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
txpcx13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13&14
Color: Rojox2

Post by txpcx13 »

I drive mostly above 45mph with 70% WOT 60-70MPH(depending on wind and hills) and I have been averaging 80MPG on the money.
2013 Honda PCX (Red) - NCY 13g rollers, golden variator, drive face, YSS shocks, Givi E450
2014 Honda Forza (Red) - Adige 17g rollers, Kappa K466