Ermax +25 Windscreen

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

beos59

Re: Ermax +25 Windscreen

Post by beos59 »

Wow! Looks great! I'm waiting for my Ermax +25 windscreen as well from same same. Got delivery notice yesterday, ordered a few days ago. You don't have a close-up on how you connected to the mains relay? Or it might be evident once the shield is off? And please provide feedback after the test ride. Just hope it will not push all air onto the helmet, I have a jet helmet...
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by Dustoff66 »

Hey thanks. I'm sorry I didn't do a closeup of the main relay. There are 2 "hot" wires there, plus of course the ground. One hot wire is red & white, the other is red & black. ( This is on my 2011 PCX ) The red & black is not hot with the key off and this is the one you want. If you tap into the other one the outlet will be on all the time and might drain the battery. The relay slides right up off its bracket by pushing on the little tab with a small screwdriver. I just used a small probe to make a hole in the insulation being careful to not break the wires, then worked the hot from the outlet into the hole, wrapped the two together and taped. The outlet ground runs down to the bolt on the frame that connects all the main ground wires. That's why I took off the center cover around the fuel door -- the bolt is right near the horn, on the frame. I attached a pic of that.
Taking a ride today, after I do some housekeeping that I promised the wife. I'll let you know the result.
Attachments
Ground wire2.jpg
Ground wire2.jpg (268.24 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
aphid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Pearl Siena Red

Post by aphid »

Can I ask what your thoughts are on colour, please? I am also looking to order an Ermax +25 windscreen for my Honda PCX and am torn between a clear, grey or smoked screen. I am conscious that I will be commuting in the dark in winter months so I am not sure what choice is best overall. What would you suggest, folks?
beos59

Post by beos59 »

I ordered the grey, think it suits the white scoot.
beos59

Post by beos59 »

BTW welcome to the forum!
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Thanks for the response. I can see that gray would look nice on a white pcx. I neglected to mention that I have the red colour like the images in the posting above. What is hard to determine is the colour of screen within similar images. My instinct is to opt for a smoked screen but need to be sure of visibility at night. Head says clear, heart says smoked.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Dustoff66 »

Hi and welcome. My Ermax is grey and I think the smoked might be too dark if you're not tall enough to see over it.
That being said ---- I just got back from a 45 mile jaunt on both back roads and 55mph highways to test my new screen. I have to say that I noticed no difference in the noise level; the wind still hits me square in the face and there's a considerable "roaring" in my aging ears. Maybe it's the new G-Max helmet with the flip-down eye shield, I'm not sure. I opened both front & rear helmet vents and got a little less noise but so far I'm seeing no difference from my Givi. I'm just under 5'11" so I look over the screen. The hand protection seems better, though. Took my gloves off and there was less wind so that'll be nicer in the cold. Maybe tomorrow I'll try blocking the opening at the bottom. I have some foam strips that you use around an air conditioner in the window -- some of that plus some 100mph tape might change the flow.
Anyway --- it looks sharp, and since it was such a struggle to get I'm keeping it. :)
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Thanks Dustoff66. So smoked is darker than grey? I thought it would be the other way round so that is interesting. From the pictures you have posted it certainly looks good on a red pcx. Quite light. At 180cm I guess there should be no issue.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Dustoff66 »

Just a quick update: Red racing in Italy, where I had placed my original order for the Ermax +25, has come through and refunded my entire purchase price to my card. I really never thought I'd see that money but they're an honest firm with great responses to emails. Too bad the windscreen got lost somewhere but same - same got one here in 8 days.
I'm still a little disappointed in the Ermax wind protection , though -- even after I secured foam inside at the bottom gap I still get a loud wind hitting me square in the helmet right at my ears. C'est la vie, I guess.
beos59

Post by beos59 »

Ok finally Ermax +25 screen mounted. And as dustoff I used the opportunity with the screen off to mount a USB outlet. Used the same place, i.e. the middle pin of the main relay to get the 12V but for grounding I used a hole in the frame and fitted the ground with an M6 screw and nut there. Seems to work fine! My USB outlet had adhesive tape so I could stick under the mobile phone holder so it stuffed away neatly. Haven't tested the screen yet, also like dustoff I have some garden chores before I can go out test drive... :(

Here are some photos!
Ermax +25 screen
Ermax +25 screen
IMG_20140614_183730.jpg (122 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
USB
USB
IMG_20140614_183757.jpg (107.76 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Mounting
Mounting
IMG_20140614_181908.jpg (128.41 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

[quote="beos59"]Ok finally Ermax +25 screen mounted.

What colour variation is your screen, please - clear, grey, smoked?
beos59

Post by beos59 »

aphid wrote: What colour variation is your screen, please - clear, grey, smoked?
Grey.
beos59

Post by beos59 »

Have to report that I switched back to the stock windscreen... :( The noise level just became to high when the wind was concentrated to the helmet. I'm 180 cm (5'11) which seems to be the worst length for this screen. When i crouched down or raised myself up the roaring was lower. So back to the drawing board again... :( I think it the choices are down to a Givi 323dt (which seems awfully large) or the Puig that claims to be designed using a wind tunnel and throws the wind sideways instead of up :? o_O :? Any other ideas?
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

What about the Givi 322, which is 18.5cm higher than the stock? So 6.5cm lower than the Ermax and 4.5cm higher than the Puig.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Dustoff66 »

Wow ...... After all the hassle of not receiving my Ermax from Italy and finally getting it from France, I'm most likely going to replace it with the tall Givi. The wind on my ears is just too much. I'll probably put it on eBay next week sometime. Unless somebody here wants it at a reasonable price. What a disappointment.
beos59

Post by beos59 »

I concur. Could just keep the Ermax on for a couple of days until I switched back to stock. As said, it might be good if you're taller or shorter than 180cm but it wasn't for me. At least it easy to swap now... :) I've ordered the Puig and I think you should consider it also dustoff, before deciding for the tall givi. In http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=734&hilit=puig the OP claims " I'm 6ft poor posture 245 lbs. No helmet buffeting. Perfect took just the right amout of air off my chest." Sounds just what I want at least.

So there is an Ermax +25 available within the EU as well... :)
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

At about 5' 7", I had an issue with the short Givi and horrible wind noise, but the tall one was fine. Didn't take long to get used to looking through it, either.

Went out for 4 hours on Saturday, and went back to the stock shield. Summer riding is far more enjoyable "naked"!
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

Dustoff66 wrote:Wow ...... After all the hassle of not receiving my Ermax from Italy and finally getting it from France, I'm most likely going to replace it with the tall Givi. The wind on my ears is just too much. I'll probably put it on eBay next week sometime. Unless somebody here wants it at a reasonable price. What a disappointment.

I may be interested in it. Shoot me a pm with your price.
Thanks.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Dustoff66 »

beos59 wrote:I concur. Could just keep the Ermax on for a couple of days until I switched back to stock. As said, it might be good if you're taller or shorter than 180cm but it wasn't for me. At least it easy to swap now... :) I've ordered the Puig and I think you should consider it also dustoff, before deciding for the tall givi. In http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=734&hilit=puig the OP claims " I'm 6ft poor posture 245 lbs. No helmet buffeting. Perfect took just the right amout of air off my chest." Sounds just what I want at least.

So there is an Ermax +25 available within the EU as well... :)
beos59 --- Please let us know about the Puig as soon as you get it on a test ride. For now I think I'm going back to my short Givi and putting the Ermax on eBay.
beos59

Post by beos59 »

Mounted the Puig two days ago and it is definitely a keeper! It's been rather windy the last days but this is anyway how I experienced it so far: No wind pressure on the chest to talk about at 45-50 mph. Noise level at helmet, I'm not sure if it better or worser than with the stock but it is not a problem anyway. It really feels like you get a better flow and lower resistance when driving at higher speeds. I will certainly hold on to this screen :)