Trade the PCX for this PCXish motorcycle?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Trade the PCX for this PCXish motorcycle?

Post by GatorGreg »

So I've been lusting at pics and videos of the '14/'15 Interceptor and now I have made the mistake of taking a used Interceptor for a test ride - so I am totally smitten. I'm thinking of trading my PCX for a new old stock '14 Interceptor since the prices on new Interceptors are plummeting right now - I noticed Honda has even lowered the MSRP on their website recently - something I've never seen them do before.

The reason I call the Interceptor a PCXish motorcycle is that it shares 4 of my favorite features with my PCX:

1) Pearl White paint which I love!
2) a center stand (which I don't think I could live without now that I've had one)
3) LED headlights/taillights
4) It's a Honda!

They also offer matching hard saddle bags as an option so it can carry a lot of crap like the PCX - although not as conveniently as under the seat.

I really enjoy the PCX but I'm getting the itch for something faster again and holy crap the Interceptor I tested was fun and sounded awesome! I also feel I should probably be riding something with ABS - all the recent threads on here of people locking up their wheels and going down have me spooked - I don't want to end up on Homie's list! :D

Unfortunately I only have room in my garage for one toy so I will need to trade in my PCX assuming they give me a halfway decent price - but if they low ball me I guess I will try to find a way to keep it - it would be cool to have 2 matching Pearl white Hondas to choose from.

Anyway, here's a Honda promo vid so you can see what I've been drooling over. Please let me know if I have your blessing to trade in the PCX or if you think I'll come to regret it. Many of you have been riding for a long time so I truly value your opinions :)

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Trade the PCX for this PCXish motorcycle?

Post by homie »

OH man little or nothing to compare with your PCX and more in common with my lean mean race bike. Yes get that nimble Honda and try to keep the PCX in the garage somewhere. There is use for both if you can make some space. I would certainly like that motor and narrow cafe racer design. It's a Honda so enough said for reliability. That's a lot of plastic that will pop any color they want plus any large decals o_O Love it! Thanks for showing I need to see one in person.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

VFR is a great bike but they tend to run a bit warm. For the rider that is. Here in Thailand they are almost unbearable in slow traffic. If you ride on the open roads should be Ok.

I only mention this as I think Florida is hot. It may not be?

Read lots of tests reviews. There might even be a VFR forum?
Last edited by waspmike on Tue May 24, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

homie wrote:OH man little or nothing to compare with your PCX and more in common with my lean mean race bike. Yes get that nimble Honda and try to keep the PCX in the garage somewhere. There is use for both if you can make some space. I would certainly like that motor and narrow cafe racer design. It's a Honda so enough said for reliability. That's a lot of plastic that will pop any color they want plus any large decals o_O Love it! Thanks for showing I need to see one in person.
You would love it homie, the used one I tested had an aftermarket exhaust so it sounded really good - it was the fastest bike I've ever ridden but with only about 100 hp it seemed like something I could learn to control - plus it has traction control and ABS to help out.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I watched the video again and you can see him use that clutch-less speed shift coming out of a curve. The V-4 would be sounding great... it's no potato-potato-potato but I could get with it. They did good with the brakes. You have given me a reason to swing by Honda and see what they want for one in Chicagoland area.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

waspmike wrote:VFR is a great bike but they tend to run a bit warm. For the rider that is. Here in Thailand they are almost unbearable in slow traffic. If you ride on the open roads should be Ok.

It has radiators , it can't be any worse than my FireBolt these days. I now use foil in my pants to combat heat rolling off the twins (a tip from other Buell riders) No joke and it isn't even hot yet o_O

Last edited by homie on Tue May 24, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

waspmike wrote:VFR is a great bike but they tend to run a bit warm. For the rider that is. Here in Thailand they are almost unbearable in slow traffic. If you ride on the open roads should be Ok.

Yeah I've read about a dozen reviews and lurked on one of the forums and I think they mentioned that this 8th gen VFR is a bit cooler than the prior gen because they moved the radiators to the front and ditched the heavy underseat exhaust that was on the previous generation. It does get hot here in Florida but it never gets what I would call crazy hot like what's going on in India right now - I saw a video of people getting stuck walking across the melting streets there :D The Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic tend to keep us from getting over 100 here.

BTW I think I also read that this 8th gen is now made in Thailand which is another thing it has in common with the PCX although mine was made in Vietnam. Do you know if it's the same factory over there that made them?
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

homie wrote:I watched the video again and you can see him use that clutch-less speed shift coming out of a curve. The V-4 would be sounding great... it's no potato-potato-potato but I could get with it. They did good with the brakes. You have given me a reason to swing by Honda and see what they want for one in Chicagoland area.
If you search cycletrader nationwide you'll see several dealers with them priced as low as 8,999 for deluxe with the base models around 7,999 - seems like a great deal to me :)
The deluxe models (adds ABS, traction control, center stand, heated grips, self cancelling turn signals, more suspension adjustments) had an original sticker of 13,499 (I think base was 12,499) but Honda has recently dropped the MSRP for both models on their website and base is now 2K less than deluxe instead of 1K less.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

homie wrote:It has radiators , it can't be any worse than my FireBolt these days. I now use foil in my pants to combat heat rolling off the twins (a tip from other Buell riders) No joke and it isn't even hot yet o_O

I've sat on a foil sunshade on occasion when getting into a hot car but I've never thought of stuffing foil in my pants - it's that kind of innovative thinking that makes us the greatest country on earth :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GatorGreg wrote:The deluxe models (adds ABS, traction control, center stand, heated grips, self cancelling turn signals, more suspension adjustments) had an original sticker of 13,499 (I think base was 12,499) but Honda has recently dropped the MSRP for both models on their website
Good grief I wouldn't know how to act with all those creature features. I might be shunned by the Buell community, they like bare bones SHONKY as the Brits would say. From tonight's dash cam you can hear the three speed fan pushing heat off the engine (please ignore me singing in my helmet). So don't let a little engine heat scare you off that water cooled V-4. There are ways to cope and you will be singing in your helmet too :)

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

homie wrote:
GatorGreg wrote:The deluxe models (adds ABS, traction control, center stand, heated grips, self cancelling turn signals, more suspension adjustments) had an original sticker of 13,499 (I think base was 12,499) but Honda has recently dropped the MSRP for both models on their website
Good grief I wouldn't know how to act with all those creature features. I might be shunned by the Buell community, they like bare bones SHONKY as the Brits would say. From tonight's dash cam you can hear the three speed fan pushing heat off the engine (please ignore me singing in my helmet). So don't let a little engine heat scare you off that water cooled V-4. There are ways to cope and you will be singing in your helmet too :)

Good grief, Homie. Your Buell sounds almost as beastly as my PCX with the new sports exhaust! ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I just watched one of the other reviews on youtube and the guy mentioned the Ninja 1000 as more comfortable after 70 or 80 miles. He also said that the Ninja hugged the ground better so he felt more in control on curves. It would be worth your while to compare the two yourself. I am not against Honda, and I like the style of the Interceptor. You just need to read up more to see if the reviewers think it is as good as it looks.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

That V4 is an unnecessarily complex engine and could be expensive to maintain if you do big mileages.

If you like it and can afford it just do it and never mind what anyone else thinks.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

gn2 wrote: If you like it and can afford it just do it and never mind what anyone else thinks.
I agree, the poster is on to something with the Interceptor. This is a pretty good step above entry level bike from Honda for the price. Might be all you ever wanted IF you still had a PCX :D
Last edited by homie on Wed May 25, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Back in the 80s I had the original model VFR750F and it was a total flying machine, MUCH faster than the Z1300 it replaced.

IMO there's really no need for anything with more poke than an NC750, maybe I'm just old.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Mel46 wrote:I just watched one of the other reviews on youtube and the guy mentioned the Ninja 1000 as more comfortable after 70 or 80 miles. He also said that the Ninja hugged the ground better so he felt more in control on curves. It would be worth your while to compare the two yourself. I am not against Honda, and I like the style of the Interceptor. You just need to read up more to see if the reviewers think it is as good as it looks.
Thanks Mel, yeah I've sat on the Ninja 1000 but haven't test ridden one - there are lots of used ones in my area so I could probably find one to test. I think I've seen the review you're referring to - the N1000 got 1st place to the Interceptor's 2nd place and I think there was an Aprillia or Ducati in 3rd place. I've read and watched just about every mainstream review of both bikes and most reviewers seem to prefer the Interceptor's styling, refinement, and handling but they prefer the N1000's power, touring prowess, and bang for the buck.

Here's another good video review below of the Ninja 1000 - I think most of you guys will really enjoy watching it :P The N1000 is a great bike I'm sure and I think I will try to test ride one but it just doesn't make me salivate and lose sleep like the pearl white Interceptor does and it's lacking all 4 of the PCXish qualities I listed above. Maybe after I ride one I'll feel differently but for right now I think I would prefer the Interceptor.

GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

gn2 wrote:Back in the 80s I had the original model VFR750F and it was a total flying machine, MUCH faster than the Z1300 it replaced.

IMO there's really no need for anything with more poke than an NC750, maybe I'm just old.
Yes, "flying machine" would be a good description of how I felt after testing the used '14 Interceptor - I was just trying to hang on :D However, the fastest bike I've ridden before that was just a CBR500R so I don't have any experience on fast bikes to compare it to. It only has about 100 hp so it's not nearly as fast as a supersport but I think in tests I've read it does do the quarter mile in the mid 11 second range so it does seem very fast from my perspective.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

homie wrote:

Love the sounds your Buell makes! I bet mothers grab their small children by the hand when they hear you coming :D
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

That bike is about as much like a PCX as a hawk is like a sparrow.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I've never heard of a Honda Sparrow, but the Hawk 650 was a nice bike.