Oil change

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Oil change

Post by outlander »

I am doing my sexond oil change. It is supposed to be done at 2500 miles but I did not get round to doing it until 3300 miles.

When I drained it only 750ml camr out.

I went to refill the new oil and put in 800ml so I could gauge if a quart was too much.

After idling engine after 5min, I turned off and waited 3 min. Put in dipwtixk put did not screw it in and the dipstick indicates way over the upper part of the cross hatch. However if I rotate thr dipstick on one side it shows it is good. So is it overfilled or underfilled?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Re: Oil change

Post by iceman »

It's a bit more if you remove the oil filter thingy as more comes out, a bit less if you just drain it normally. It seems it's a bit over-filled but don't worry, I doubt a little over the top will do harm and it will go down a bit over time anyway. 50ml is nothing.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

outlander wrote:the dipstick indicates way over the upper part of the cross hatch. However if I rotate thr dipstick on one side it shows it is good. So is it overfilled or underfilled?
Yes and no.
Clean the dipstick off and try again, the reading should be even on both sides and in the middle of the cross hatch.
Too high is A Bad Thing.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

gn2 wrote:
outlander wrote:the dipstick indicates way over the upper part of the cross hatch. However if I rotate thr dipstick on one side it shows it is good. So is it overfilled or underfilled?
Yes and no.
Clean the dipstick off and try again, the reading should be even on both sides and in the middle of the cross hatch.
Too high is A Bad Thing.
+1.

Sent from my iPad
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If the oil is kind of up there it's ok

Perennial problem with dipsticks. Don't worry about it. It has oil
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Post by honkerman »

If it's on the line, you're ok. If it's a bit over, you can siphon a bit out with a syringe and a bit of rubber tubing. Alternately, you can open the drain plug and let a little out, then close it up again, but that can get messy.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

I came back to the pcx 24hrs later, the oil level is still over.

I then drained a small cup of oil, the level remained the same.

Started it up and the engine was more audible so I turned it off.

I have now fully drained the pcx on the center stand. Emptied the strainer.

According to the pcx manual it says after draining, including the strainer it requires 1 quart.

I filled it with exactly one quart. It now shows well over the cross hatch area. Double the length of the cross hatch. Dont know what to do now.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I can only speak to my experience.
My PCX has 24k on it. Change my oil every 3k, including the filter screen cleaning. Then I fill the oil to just above the cross hatching by 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch on the dip stick. I check my oil every fill up. Never had any issues, bike runs as good as new.
I suggest you just fill the oil and enjoy the bike. Try not to over think it. :D.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Strange it's so over-full. A few 10's ml won't matter if my opion but in this case it seems a lot more than that. You could put half a quart in from empty, check the dip stick and then add a bit more with a syringe or somthing and keep checking.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Drain and start over. Add half or 3/4 Qt....then start checking dipstick. .adding slowly until level in center crosshatched area. Then button it up...check before every ride. Takes 30 seconds...peace of mind. You don't ignore gas gauge. ...why ignore oil level. Oil more important than gas to engine and your wallet.
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:You don't ignore gas gauge. ...why ignore oil level.
Because the oil level stays within limits from one service to the next.
Completely pointless waste of time checking it daily.
Maybe once every 500 miles but only if you're super paranoid.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

when I change oil I don't care what that capacity is in the manual...why? because I never know how much is left in the case after I drain it. So I do this:

1. drain and add 20 oz via syringe
2. check the level on the center stand, using dipstick sitting on top of the threads, per the US manual
3. add a single (or two) oz and recheck
4. Repeat #3 as many times as it takes to get it mid hashmarks on the stick
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

outlander wrote:I came back to the pcx 24hrs later, the oil level is still over.

According to the pcx manual it says after draining, including the strainer it requires 1 quart.

I filled it with exactly one quart. It now shows well over the cross hatch area. Double the length of the cross hatch. Dont know what to do now.

Sent from my iPad

I presume your not screwing the dipstick in or using a fancy aftermarket alloy dipstick in it?

You only have to put the dipstick in the hole to check it .
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Its a stock dipstick, no I am not screwing it in to check.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

outlander wrote:I came back to the pcx 24hrs later, the oil level is still over.

Interesting. I looked at the owner's manual and it does indeed equate .9 liters to 1 quart. .900 liters is not 1 quart, .95 liters is. This is a mistake. That said, 900 ml is the fill amount if you removed the oil strainer. If you simply empty the oil and do not remove the strainer, the fill amount is only .8 liters. There are two sets of instructions for the oil change, one is on pp 99-100, the other is on pp 101-102. The one for just an oil change is the former, while the one for cleaning the strainer is the latter. This may have caused some of your confusion.

In any event, when filling the oil after an oil change, it is best to add 1/2 to 3/4 of the total listed amount, run the bike/scooter until the oil light turns off to slosh it around, check the level, then gradually add the rest, stopping every little while to check the level to avoid overfilling. I personally put a full quart of MOTUL in my PCX the last time I changed the oil, but I also had removed the strainer, so it needed that much. When I changed the oil in my Piaggio, it needed more than what it said in the manual, so it's all about checking and double checking.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:

Interesting. I looked at the owner's manual and it does indeed equate .9 liters to 1 quart. .900 liters is not 1 quart, .95 liters is. This is a mistake. That said, 900 ml is the fill amount if you removed the oil strainer. If you simply empty the oil and do not remove the strainer, the fill amount is only .8 liters. There are two sets of instructions for the oil change, one is on pp 99-100, the other is on pp 101-102. The one for just an oil change is the former, while the one for cleaning the strainer is the latter. This may have caused some of your confusion.

In any event, when filling the oil after an oil change, it is best to add 1/2 to 3/4 of the total listed amount, run the bike/scooter until the oil light turns off to slosh it around, check the level, then gradually add the rest, stopping every little while to check the level to avoid overfilling. I personally put a full quart of MOTUL in my PCX the last time I changed the oil, but I also had removed the strainer, so it needed that much. When I changed the oil in my Piaggio, it needed more than what it said in the manual, so it's all about checking and double checking.

Imperial vs American quarts?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

I was under the impression it was 0.8 litre.

Sent from my iPad
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Alibally wrote:I was under the impression it was 0.8 litre.

Sent from my iPad
Again, there are two sets of instructions in the manual. The .8 liter specification is for draining the oil without also removing the strainer. The .9 liter spec is used when the oil strainer has been removed.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:

Unlikely. The imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon. One imperial quart would be 1,136 ml.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:
you you wrote:

Unlikely. The imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon. One imperial quart would be 1,136 ml.

True. 4.55 divided by four