Transmission oil check/change !!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Decco-Pcx-125
Year: 2013
Color: White

Transmission oil check/change !!

Post by Decco-Pcx-125 »

So I have 2 bottles of 4stroke oil one being 10w30 and another being 10w40 - are either of the two good to use on the transmission of the Honda pcx 125 2013 model ?

Thanks for quick responses :) happy riding
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Transmission oil check/change !!

Post by Alibally »

Hello. The book says 10w30 so I would use that.

Sent from my iPad
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

The book calls for 10w-30 so that's what I'd use since you have it on hand.

I'm running Mobil 1 Hypoid 75w90 gear oil in my transmission. It's similar in viscosity to the 10w30 but seems to make the transmission a little quieter. Keep in mind, I have no evidence to back this up, it's just a hunch. Quieter or not, the gear oil works well.
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by pxc-in-japan »

Just my 2 pennies (or cents) worth...

I have a 2015 PCX 150 and a 2008 Suzuki Address 125.
At the Honda/Suzuki dealer where I got my Address, the owner is a friendly fella and I chat whenever I go there.

He said there is no need to use 'gear' oil, as opposed to 'engine' oil.
He uses engine oil for the final-drive / reduction gear (seems to go by 2 names) oil changes.

His logic is: They both will do the same job for gears but as engine oil is made to withstand high temperature as well as reduce friction, it will in fact do a perfectly good job as final gear oil.

So I used engine oil for my final-gear oil-change on the Suzuki Address at 30,000 kilometres as per the book.

From now on, however, I will change the final-gear oil every 10,000 kilometres (6,200 miles) on each scooter. I open the CVT unit to check and clean the parts every 10,000, so I may as well just change the gear oil, too. 90 ml of oil and 2 minutes of time - why not?

On my 2012 V-Strom the engine oil lubricates the gears anyway, so it must be good enough for gear lubing if 'bikes' use it that way (again, according the the dealer).
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

I also use Mobil 1 75w90 synthetic. If someone tells you that 10w30 syn oil will do the same thing as the 75w90 gear oil is wrong. Gears are subjected to different type of load than an engine. With the gears turning in the differential they are grinding against each other. In my Peterbilt 379 I used to own, it had guages for everything. In a long uphill grade of 6% for 3-4mi, the rearend temp would exceed the temp of the engine oil.
I don't think the 75w90 gear oil is going to hurt anything. Even my fuel mileage has not been affected. When you initially change the gear oil, smell the oil and it smells just like gear oil. Clean oil will always run smoother than dirty oil. For the amount of oil in the differential a quart with last longer than most riders put on a PCX in their lifetime.
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
douce
Color: red/white

Post by douce »

I am with ScooterAddict.
I run Amsoil Synthetic Severe Gear 75W-90 in all 3 of my scooters
PCX 150 2013, Honda Jazz 2008, and a CHonda 50 cc
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

Seems I need to read up on this then.
I took the dealer at his word, but if you feel that engine oil is NOT a reasonable substitute for gear oil, then I feel I ought to check out the tech' argument.
Thanks.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

ScooterAddict wrote:I also use Mobil 1 75w90 synthetic. If someone tells you that 10w30 syn oil will do the same thing as the 75w90 gear oil is wrong. Gears are subjected to different type of load than an engine. With the gears turning in the differential they are grinding against each other. In my Peterbilt 379 I used to own, it had guages for everything. In a long uphill grade of 6% for 3-4mi, the rearend temp would exceed the temp of the engine oil.
I don't think the 75w90 gear oil is going to hurt anything. Even my fuel mileage has not been affected. When you initially change the gear oil, smell the oil and it smells just like gear oil. Clean oil will always run smoother than dirty oil. For the amount of oil in the differential a quart with last longer than most riders put on a PCX in their lifetime.

Mr Honda has been building bikes for a while now so although using 75w90 won't do any harm ,the specified oil will be fine if it's what they recommend.

Sent from my iPad
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ScooterAddict wrote:I also use Mobil 1 75w90 synthetic. If someone tells you that 10w30 syn oil will do the same thing as the 75w90 gear oil is wrong.
You need to get onto Honda straightaway to tell them of their mistake. Idiots to a man, what do they know that you don't.
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

For everyone but particularly in response to ScooterAddict and Alibally who were kind enough to offer advice regarding my post of June 11th 2016.

I cannot disagree with you technically, but I would like to tell you both what the 2015 PCX service manual and a Honda dealer mechanic report.

I now have the (200 dollar!!!!) Helm-published manual.
It says the following:

......................................................................................
Final Drive Oil (manual section 3-16)
...add the recommended oil as described below.
Recommended engine oil:
Pro Honda HP4m 4-stroke oil (USA / Canada) or equivalent motor oil
API service classification: SJ or higher
JASO T 903 standard: MB
Viscosity: SAE 10W-30

I asked the mechanic for his opinion about that. He said that (in Japan) Suzuki recommends gear oil for scooters' final drive and Honda goes with engine oil.

I am merely a DIY mechanic who wants his bike in top working order and I will do as the manual states.
I do not claim that you are technically incorrect to disagree with my point made as above, though, as I am not qualified to do that - and because this is not Youtube, where people claim what they like and then get angry if someone disagrees :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

pxc-in-japan wrote:For everyone but particularly in response to ScooterAddict and Alibally who were kind enough to offer advice regarding my post of June 11th 2016. I cannot disagree with you technically, but I would like to tell you both what the 2015 PCX service manual and a Honda dealer mechanic report. I now have the (200 dollar!!!!) Helm-published manual. It says the following:
......................................................................................
Final Drive Oil (manual section 3-16)
...add the recommended oil as described below.
Recommended engine oil:
Pro Honda HP4m 4-stroke oil (USA / Canada) or equivalent motor oil
API service classification: SJ or higher
JASO T 903 standard: MB
Viscosity: SAE 10W-30

I asked the mechanic for his opinion about that. He said that (in Japan) Suzuki recommends gear oil for scooters' final drive and Honda goes with engine oil.

I am merely a DIY mechanic who wants his bike in top working order and I will do as the manual states.
I do not claim that you are technically incorrect to disagree with my point made as above, though, as I am not qualified to do that - and because this is not Youtube, where people claim what they like and then get angry if someone disagrees :)
Good luck getting the recommend engine oil in Europe as the EU does not seem to like the MB style additives or mix as it's very hard to find anyone stocking it here - that's why Honda Dealers recommend others and stock them in their shop to sell to people - my Honda Dealer said they use Castrol oils. As others have stated, to prove Honda just put the same reteric in their manuals (to cover themselvers probably) they say MB oil which is really of merit with wet cluthes - the PCX is dry!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-Syntheti ... B0039LHCMQ (out of stock on amazon and had been for ages)
America stockists have it as they are outside EU rules, but within the EU it's hard to buy MB oil (Honda's own) from on-line stockists although some Honda dealers may import it themselves. Not needed, just use good quality full or semi-synth (the bike won't care or run any better)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Not really a big difference in viscosity but the reason for 10w-30 motor oil is due to the type of metal components used inside the gear box.Be very careful not to select a high sulfer high TAN lube for it which is a gear oil.
Some gearboxes have yellow metal parts which will be damaged by a high TAN lube (aka gear lube)It isn't so much viscosity or detergency as it is the additives used. Gear oils use high amounts of sulphur yielding higher acid levels that can hurt specific metals over time and especially under duress. Stick with 10w -30 motor...its about the chemistry.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

SM clearly calls for HP4M 10W-30 (High Performance 4 stroke with Moly) nothing else mentioned as an alternative. I concur with easyrider, there is something with the (moly additive) Honda wants in their final drive gearbox AND crankcase (10W-40 w/moly) but NOT in wet clutch transmissions. We don't have wet clutches so maybe put the slippery moly protectant and be safe.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Chief says; yes use the Moly, it's here to stay https://bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/
Attachments
chief.jpg
chief.jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 6404 times
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

iceman wrote: Good luck getting the recommend engine oil in Europe as the EU does not seem to like the MB style additives or mix as it's very hard to find anyone stocking it here - that's why Honda Dealers recommend others and stock them in their shop to sell to people - my Honda Dealer said they use Castrol oils. As others have stated, to prove Honda just put the same reteric in their manuals (to cover themselvers probably) they say MB oil which is really of merit with wet cluthes - the PCX is dry!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-Syntheti ... B0039LHCMQ (out of stock on amazon and had been for ages)
America stockists have it as they are outside EU rules, but within the EU it's hard to buy MB oil (Honda's own) from on-line stockists although some Honda dealers may import it themselves. Not needed, just use good quality full or semi-synth (the bike won't care or run any better)
Hi iceman! A slight correction to your dealer's comment regarding MB oils: they're the friction-modified version, so they're actually for dry clutches, not wet. Maybe that's why they're hard to find there? Any standard (friction-modified) car motor oil will work in its place!
Of course, you're absolutely correct that any modern name-brand motor oil will work with our dry clutch setup. Honda's own literature says that their full syn version (HP4S) is their "very finest," so that might imply HP4M is runner-up for a slightly lower cost-of-ownership.
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

I sure hope I don't have a catastrophic failure at 65mph using Mobil1 or Royal Purple 75w90. I really think the 10w30 or 10w40 would run a little easier thus helping emissions during certification. But I just drive the Space Shuttle I don't work on it!!

Scott
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Eiron wrote:
iceman wrote: Good luck getting the recommend engine oil in Europe as the EU does not seem to like the MB style additives or mix as it's very hard to find anyone stocking it here - that's why Honda Dealers recommend others and stock them in their shop to sell to people - my Honda Dealer said they use Castrol oils. As others have stated, to prove Honda just put the same reteric in their manuals (to cover themselvers probably) they say MB oil which is really of merit with wet cluthes - the PCX is dry!
Hi iceman! A slight correction to your dealer's comment regarding MB oils: they're the friction-modified version, so they're actually for dry clutches, not wet. Maybe that's why they're hard to find there? Any standard (friction-modified) car motor oil will work in its place!
Of course, you're absolutely correct that any modern name-brand motor oil will work with our dry clutch setup. Honda's own literature says that their full syn version (HP4S) is their "very finest," so that might imply HP4M is runner-up for a slightly lower cost-of-ownership.
Autually I believe it's a European law thing to do with imports of oils and what they contain as it's almost impossible to find Honda Pro MB oil here - even online, but it is not needed. The question of what oil for the pcx is asked over and over again and the same answers are given again and again - it needs to be a sticky in the FAQ as it's the most FAQ on this forum and one of the 'it really doesn't matter as long as any good quality brand name 4 stroke scooter oil in the temp range 10w30 - 10w40 will do for almost all countries around the world' - fully synthetic may be best but that's also a bowl of contention.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

iceman wrote:Autually I believe it's a European law thing to do with imports of oils and what they contain as it's almost impossible to find Honda Pro MB oil here - even online, but it is not needed. The question of what oil for the pcx is asked over and over again and the same answers are given again and again - it needs to be a sticky in the FAQ as it's the most FAQ on this forum and one of the 'it really doesn't matter as long as any good quality brand name 4 stroke scooter oil in the temp range 10w30 - 10w40 will do for almost all countries around the world' - fully synthetic may be best but that's also a bowl of contention.
Cool -- thanks for the clarification!
Don't have the power to make it a sticky in the FAQ? (it seems like you should!)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmm, sticky? Dave may have other ideas? Hold fast. We're checking into it ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mrgigabyte
Year: 2013 PCX

Post by mrgigabyte »

hey scooteraddict

this is mr.gigabyte the guy you pmed about the aftermarket seat i have on my pcx150

sorry i could not pm you back it says i dont have enough posts to pm you back lol

but about the seat its a great seat very comfortable to seat on im 5 foot 7 my self and its back 2 inches from original position of stock seat

the front slop is no different then stock but very flush all together and does not feel like your gonna slip off or anything

the company i got it from will go back 3 1/2 inches from stock or more if you call them

my brother in law is 5 foot 8 him self and rights it fine with no problems but did say he would like it back a little further and his inseam is 32 as well