Got The PCX Recall Notice Today

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Got The PCX Recall Notice Today

Post by tbln930 »

I have not had e not had a chance to read it. What's up? I don't see a thread yet. o_O
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Re: Got The PCX Recall Notice Today

Post by DailyRider »

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Yep - that is the one. The rear trunk base. Recall 16E-023. I didn't buy it. Whew. :)
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

I just checked my mail and found one too,
and am feeling smug about my sturdy and secure GIVI mount.
Image (again)

They must be sending notices to all PCX purchasers,
because they don't have records of who bought the accessory part.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I have the same one.

SECoda/tbln930
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

Got mine today as well...I actually bought one of them back when I got the scoot...then drilled into it before coming to my senses and getting the proper SHAD mounting plate...

The guys at my local dealer are pretty nice, but getting that replaced sounds like a little much...oh well, not like I am using it...

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t ... wingscribe

Oh well, first world problems...
Mike
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I'm not taking my precious in for Gorilla's to take apart... tossing the recall in the trash.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think that most of us won't have to do anything at all. I just threw our notice away, well actually 2 notices since we have 2 bikes. I don't knw when Honda started making those particular mounts but I doubt that very many purchased theirs in the grand scheme of things. I don't even recall them offering these as an option when I purchased our first PCX 150 in 2012. I must say that when they were first mentioned on this forum I liked their style more than the Givi one I had purchased because it looked like I could carry stuff on it without the problem of that extra connector sticking up, like the Givi one has. Now though, I am happy that I purchased the one that I did. These mail outs much be costing honda a fortune.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Recall Notice 16E-023 has arrived. Shades of excitement! :D

"A redesigned Honda Genuine Accessory rear trunk base will become available in summer 2016. Honda will send you another letter when replacement parts are available."
Oh Goodie!

Then their fun begins while I cringe :o
Agree with ya homie, I don't really want their hands on "precious" either! I purchased and installed the defective one, why can't I take it off and replace it? Dealer was Not involved.
Big Clunky Hands off :(
Not fair

I'll figure this out when the 2nd letter cometh ;)

Defective rack
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (200.44 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

What exactly is wrong with the recalled mounting plate.Mine is very strong and I see no reason to change it ?Reasons ??
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

easyrider wrote:What exactly is wrong with the recalled mounting plate.Mine is very strong and I see no reason to change it ?Reasons ??
Apparently, the top box can disconnect from the mounting plate while riding.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

easyrider wrote:What exactly is wrong with the recalled mounting plate.Mine is very strong and I see no reason to change it ?Reasons ??
Probably works fine unless you put a bowling ball in your GIVI ;) Then it's all bad. Bump, snap, boom! Off goes your luggage in the rear view. Personal effects, rain gear, big purse, makeup, unmentionables... all over the road for the world to see. Plus bowling ball that eventually out runs you, swishing by at 50 miles per hour and you are torn as to chase it or go back and get your belongings. o_O
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

Yes, I think Homie is right

The stock top box is really quite small (cute, but pretty useless IMHO)
And the rack is probably underengineered for anything bigger or heavier.

But I'm guessing that most of the forum members here that have the rack
either bolt their top box to it or stash their heavy stuff safely under their seats, so they can ignore the recall.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

I don't have the Honda OEM top box mount, but I did get the recall notice. Reading thru it, there appears to be nothing structurally wrong with the mount, but only a potential problem between the rack & the rear locking hook of a top box. The notice is non-committal in it's description of the problem, only saying that the design of the rear hook interface "may allow for improper engagement" during installation of the box.

What I find interesting (besides the lack of commitment from Honda) is that no make or model of top box is identified! This leads me to believe it's not so much a problem with the rack, but only with certain makes/models of top boxes. (Or maybe just the installation of certain boxes?)

At any rate, if you don't need to constantly 'quick-release' whatever top box you have, then Honda's "temporary" zip-tie solution sounds like a quick & easy fix that anyone here could do themselves.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Here's a little more related info on the recall, in case anyone's too bored to read something interesting:
NHTSA Notice (see pg 2 of 18; lists the Honda part numbers affected)
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

According to the folks at my local Honda dealer, the shape of the rack where the clips from the stock case connect allows the clips/hooks, whatever, to slip. Their intermediate fix is a high tech doo-dad called a zip tie...yeah...
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Just got the top box recall today! Wow, thought if mine was affected I would have got the notice months ago. Still, nice to know Honda is thinking of us :) When I saw the envelope I was hoping it was a recall to replace the final drive (clutch) bearing, sadly although one of the more common problems it's not a safety issue.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Got the same notice myself today.
aka DrewJW
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

Here in Canada the recalls are already done and new base is already installed on mine.:)
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r