Emergency tire plug kit?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Top Speed

Emergency tire plug kit?

Post by Top Speed »

I was looking for a possible kit to have with me just in case I get a flat tire on my non extant Forza (getting one soon). ;)
JonW
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Emergency tire plug kit?

Post by JonW »

Jon W
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Top Speed wrote:I was looking for a possible kit to have with me just in case I get a flat tire on my non extant Forza (getting one soon). ;)

Wow you are ahead of the curve. You'll fit in well.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

I've had one of these Airman Sparrows for years and it works great. I think I got it from Wunderlich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtU-bVPa_nM

But I looked at the link that JonW provided and I see that they also sell an inflator with their system. Worth a look. Thanks, JonW.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
mjoa68
Year: 2015 PCX 150
Color: Grey/Silver

Post by mjoa68 »

montliz44 wrote:I've had one of these Airman Sparrows for years and it works great. I think I got it from Wunderlich.

Johnny
Thanks, I've been trying to decide on one of these myself. Like that it will work with the 12V adapter and saw lots of good reviews mirroring your experience. Kind of hard to find for sale in NA but found an ebay seller in UK that ships worldwide. Ordered.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

mjoa68 wrote:
montliz44 wrote:I've had one of these Airman Sparrows for years and it works great. I think I got it from Wunderlich.

Johnny
Thanks, I've been trying to decide on one of these myself. Like that it will work with the 12V adapter and saw lots of good reviews mirroring your experience. Kind of hard to find for sale in NA but found an ebay seller in UK that ships worldwide. Ordered.
How much power does the compressor need? The left storage compartment power socket is rated for 24 watts, 2 amps at 12 volts.

I have a larger compressor of a similar type for my Dakota 4x4. The power plug gets hot when I use it.

When you get this compressor, try it out somewhere where you have another compressor in case it overloads the Forza. Let all the air out of the front tire and try to get it back with the little thing. That will give it time to overheat if it is inadequate. Better to try it out this way than out on the road.
Road-Dog
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Road-Dog »

On every bike I've owned I keep a vulcanizing (plug) kit and a bicycle air pump. This combination is small lightweight and always works. The joke is that the few times I've picked up nails I rode to a local dealer for a repair. Only one time while riding did I have a blowout and even the best of kits would have been worthless because of the tire damage. The point is that the best thing you can do is to check your tires more frequently and have roadside insurance. My only blowout was the direct result was disregarding my complete lack of tread and riding that day anyway. The local dealer charged me $$$$$ for a 10 minute tow! An ounce of prevention makes your thread obsolete. My thoughts.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Actually the Forza runs pretty good with a flat rear tire. I suspect that I picked up a big staple while at the Zopkios Brake Check on the Coquihalla Highway. The bike felt strange coming down but I thought that I was hitting the ruts too much with those little wheels at 110 kmph. I put the Forza away and the next day I discovered I had a flat tire. I carefully rode over to Sidecar Willies and they plugged the tire. I rode around a bit and discovered that the plug leaked. They re-did the plug and I rode for about 2000 km until they brought in a Michelin CityGrip. I am now waiting for a front CityGrip.

I had a flat tire with my DR650 when the rear tire was almost bald. That was an expensive tow to my dealer. They put on a new tire. I discovered when I got home that the new tire was on backwards. I had to ride back to the dealer to get it reversed.

Both flats were with bald tires. I have to look at those wear bars more often. Some of the bars are hard to see.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here's a few items you might be interested in:

1) Stop and Go pocket tire plugger kit w/CO2 cartridges and a demo video (without CO2 cartridges):

http://www.revzilla.com/product/stop-go ... r-with-co2

And a demo video of a kit w/o the CO2 cartridges:

2) Slime Power Sport Tire inflator #40001 (I have this one myself):

http://www.slime.com/us/products/auto/i ... -sport.php

And a demo video:

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mjoa68

Post by mjoa68 »

davenowherejones wrote:
I have a larger compressor of a similar type for my Dakota 4x4. The power plug gets hot when I use it.

When you get this compressor, try it out somewhere where you have another compressor in case it overloads the Forza. Let all the air out of the front tire and try to get it back with the little thing. That will give it time to overheat if it is inadequate. Better to try it out this way than out on the road.
Thanks, good call, and will do.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

So..how is topspeed doing? You all were fantastic. I woudnt have expected anything less
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I tried to use my 12v pump to inflate a garden tractor trailer tires. The sidewall said max 80 psi. I tried for 60. I blew the fuse at 55 psi both sides. It was the truck 15 amp fuse not the tip fuse of the pump. The pump says it is good for 150 psi but I bet that is only for real skinny bicycle tires.

So now I get to ride the Forza to go get some fuses. The NAPA store is 5 km but I bet I do 140 km before I am finished. I get lost easily. 4000 ft Coquihalla trip to go 5 km.

One year I went from Vancouver to Abbotsford (80 km) via Newfoundland (19,000 km) detour on a CB125 street Honda.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Late for supper, only went 110 km to the NAPA 5 km away.
mjoa68

Post by mjoa68 »

davenowherejones wrote:I tried to use my 12v pump to inflate a garden tractor trailer tires. The sidewall said max 80 psi. I tried for 60. I blew the fuse at 55 psi both sides. It was the truck 15 amp fuse not the tip fuse of the pump. The pump says it is good for 150 psi but I bet that is only for real skinny bicycle tires.

So now I get to ride the Forza to go get some fuses. The NAPA store is 5 km but I bet I do 140 km before I am finished. I get lost easily. 4000 ft Coquihalla trip to go 5 km.

One year I went from Vancouver to Abbotsford (80 km) via Newfoundland (19,000 km) detour on a CB125 street Honda.
I have this getting lost problem as well. If sometimes takes me 3 hours to get home from work in my car even though I only live 20 minutes from the office. I had the same problem when I was commuting on my 50cc scooter (although I never passed through Newfoundland on that particular vehicle). I have a feeling I'll be getting lost more frequently once my Forza is on the road...
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

BTW, one emergency flat-repair thing I've had terrible luck with and will never use again are those one-step fillers like Fix-a-Flat that you shoot in through the tire valve that fill up the tire with this sticky foam and, in the process, attempt to fill the hole from the inside. They make an awful mess and may or may not fix the leak. In any case, you're left with a ruined tire full of dried gunk which you also have to scrape and sand off of the inside of the rim before you can mount another tire.

Several companies make these and I think this was Slime's original product as well (hence the name), though Slime has since moved on to pretty decent air compressors and plug kits.

Anyway, highly not recommended by me, though YMMV.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks for the warning! I think I have a bottle of that Slime goop in my truck's trunk. It came in the kit with the pump (guess they need to give them away) :lol: I really like Slime's "Power Sport Inflator"... so easy to use and surprisingly powerful! Hence its name.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Broker99

Post by Broker99 »

I use this one and it has worked very well for me. I have repaired 4 tires with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innovatio ... e+plug+kit
Joe Pal
Broker99