First long journey on my PXC - need advice.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Fran
Year: 2014
Color: White

First long journey on my PXC - need advice.

Post by Fran »

I'm planning on driving from Manchester UK to Chard in Somerset. It's about 250 miles. I don't have a license so I'm not doing motorways. The Sat Nav app on my phone reckons on a 5 hour journey, but it calculates based on 68 mph most of the time. Realistically how long is it likely to take? I've only ever ridden for 6 miles on my bike. Also, is it likely to be very cold or tiring doing that much in one go? I'm not young and my back is a bit dodgy. Any other tips or advice? Obviously I will check my tyres and water.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: First long journey on my PXC - need advice.

Post by gn2 »

I reckon it will be about five to six hours of riding,
You'll need at least one fuel stop.
The scooter will probably find it easier than you will.
If it was me I would prefer to take the bus rather than ride a PCX for that distance.

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Manchester/Chard
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

If the most you have ever rode is 6 miles, have you ever been at 60 mph?. Try a 50 miles trip around the Peak district to see how you feel. If you live in south Manchester it may be possible in 6 hours but with your experience I would guess nearer 8 hours. Would you be travelling at night?
I suspect you will find it very difficult.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

:D 10 hours from beginning to end.

It's not difficult, you are just sitting riding, more a test of endurance.

If you have to endure it you might as well enjoy it.

Hope it's not raining. Not Manchester obviously :D :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Fran wrote:I'm planning on driving from Manchester UK to Chard in Somerset. It's about 250 miles. I don't have a license so I'm not doing motorways. The Sat Nav app on my phone reckons on a 5 hour journey, but it calculates based on 68 mph most of the time. Realistically how long is it likely to take? I've only ever ridden for 6 miles on my bike. Also, is it likely to be very cold or tiring doing that much in one go? I'm not young and my back is a bit dodgy. Any other tips or advice? Obviously I will check my tyres and water.

Is that 6 miles in total?
Fran

Post by Fran »

Seems like the general consensus is that it's gonna be tough. I think the idea of a longer test ride is a good one, I'll do one. If it's raining it will make it much harder obviously. If it's really bad I can put it off a day or two. No I've not only ridden 6 miles in total 'you you', lol, I do it twice a day, have been for a few months. I've not ridden at 60mph properly, maybe touched 55 a few times when I was being naughty. My route has a few 40 limit bits, but I mostly ride at night through an empty industrial area so I do go faster. Thanks for the bus info gn2, I'll see how a test ride goes next week.
Fran

Post by Fran »

DAB wrote:If the most you have ever rode is 6 miles, have you ever been at 60 mph?. Try a 50 miles trip around the Peak district to see how you feel. If you live in south Manchester it may be possible in 6 hours but with your experience I would guess nearer 8 hours. Would you be travelling at night?
I suspect you will find it very difficult.
I considered doing it at night as it would fit in with my sleep pattern, but I'm worried about hitting a pothole so I'll do it in the daytime. However I might start in the early hours and beat the rush hour at least in Greater Manchester or whatever my first section is classified as. Trouble is my sleep's all over the place. Also I'll be working until 10pm the night before I leave. I do live in South Manchester, close to the A56, so without traffic it's pretty quick to get south of Altrincham. I'll definitely do a test ride as you suggest.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yes work up to it.

I usually break a big journey down into chunks. I generally break it into quarters if I'm by myself or 100 mile stints if it's with the family/dog
Fran

Post by Fran »

you you wrote:Yes work up to it.

I usually break a big journey down into chunks. I generally break it into quarters if I'm by myself or 100 mile stints if it's with the family/dog
You mean per day or just take a break?
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

I reckon 6-7 hours, you'll be going quite a bit slower than 68 and to be honest it isn't really going to be nice at all.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

A dodgy back and a stock seat?
I would definitely try 50 and 100 mile (round trip) rides first.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Fran wrote:
you you wrote:Yes work up to it.

You mean per day or just take a break?

Per journey. It's more than taking a break. Once you get over the second quarter you know you've broken the back of it, third and your on the home stretch.
Fran

Post by Fran »

DailyRider wrote:A dodgy back and a stock seat?
I would definitely try 50 and 100 mile (round trip) rides first.
Will do one on Thursday.
Embattle wrote:I reckon 6-7 hours, you'll be going quite a bit slower than 68 and to be honest it isn't really going to be nice at all.
Right. I'll allow 8 hours with breaks and psyche myself up for the worst.
you you wrote:
Per journey. It's more than taking a break. Once you get over the second quarter you know you've broken the back of it, third and your on the home stretch.
Makes a lot of sense. 60 miles (a quarter of the journey) doesn't sound too mad, only 10x the most I've ever ridden! If I can do that in an hour and a half and then have, say, a half hour break, shouldn't be so bad.
roger44
Year: 2015
Color: BLACK

Post by roger44 »

Fran wrote:I'm planning on driving from Manchester UK to Chard in Somerset. It's about 250 miles. I don't have a license so I'm not doing motorways. The Sat Nav app on my phone reckons on a 5 hour journey, but it calculates based on 68 mph most of the time. Realistically how long is it likely to take? I've only ever ridden for 6 miles on my bike. Also, is it likely to be very cold or tiring doing that much in one go? I'm not young and my back is a bit dodgy. Any other tips or advice? Obviously I will check my tyres and water.
at least 7 hours moving, plus a 10 min stop every hour to rest thats another hour at least.
so in total Id would allow 8 hours daylight time. dont even think about doing it at night, you will be killed.
Fran

Post by Fran »

roger44 wrote:
at least 7 hours moving, plus a 10 min stop every hour to rest thats another hour at least.
so in total Id would allow 8 hours daylight time. dont even think about doing it at night, you will be killed.
Ok well sun rises at 5.30am now so I can set off around then if I've managed to get a bit of kip.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Riding at night can be easier because there is much less traffic.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I've done the long distance thing on three different bikes, two of them being 150cc scooters (see my blog linked below). From experience, I'd suggest investing in some sort of seat cushion, or a sheepskin. I've done 300+ miles in 9 hours, with stops every 50 miles or so, and it can be done, but I'd have been more comfortable with a seat pad.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Carl »

I do a 33 mile commute each way. I need to stretch i.e move onto the pillion seat for 5 mins after 50 miles or so. About half way on the return journey.

I plan to do Kent to Bristol soon. Long Way Across. 180 miles. Plan to do it in one day then go onto South West Wales the next day. Will take 3 days to get back via the Black Mountains/Brecon Beacons.

Apparently someone has driven a PCX from the UK to India!
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

It's also good to give your gear a good test before you use it for a longer ride.

Stuff that works fine for 10 miles or less can become really uncomfortable.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

DailyRider wrote:It's also good to give your gear a good test before you use it for a longer ride.

Stuff that works fine for 10 miles or less can become really uncomfortable.
So true.
I once bought a new helmet (Centurion 2000) which felt super comfy when I tried it on in the shop and was OK for short local rides but later found I couldn't wear it for long periods.