what is this thing?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

what is this thing?

Post by flyingzonker »

This came in a little kit that Honda included in the PCX package for 2013. I've asked around. No one knows. I guess I will have to go to the dealership--it is 40 miles away--to get the dope on it.I hesitate to do this, however, for fear they will all be as clueless there as I am.
Attachments
pcxtool.PNG
pcxtool.PNG (563.9 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: what is this thing?

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey fly, that comes with your scoot in your tool kit.
It's used to hang your helmet off the hook under your seat. Lift up your seat and look to the front left corner. See a black metal hook?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

That's the tow strap - comes in handy when you go muddling :D
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's to help with erectile dysfunction. Honda have thought of everything and there's no more need for two lollipop sticks and an elastic band...
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

you you wrote:It's to help with erectile dysfunction. Honda have thought of everything and there's no more need for two lollipop sticks and an elastic band...
Can't be that, it's way too short :D :D
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

You could save the trip and email that shot to your dealer and ask?
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014

Post by Robert R »

Or read the owners manual! Novel idea I know, but Honda do go to the trouble of printing/issuing one with every scoot.
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Haha-Ha! ya bunch of hooligan's!

Fly....
Here's a pic of where the hook is under our seats (left front bottom, seen above my wire)
Put that cable through the D buckle of your helmet or through your "connected" chinstrap.
Then put both loops over the hook (seen in pic).
Close your seat. Helmet now hangs secure beside your seat. Go shopping :D

(Ya know what? I never used this thinga-ma-jig so I hope I got my instrucciones right! :lol:
If not, please step up and correct me. And...if you have a better idea(s), toss them in too. Thank yas)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (116.93 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

WhiteNoise wrote:Haha-Ha! ya bunch of hooligan's!

Fly....
Here's a pic of where the hook is under our seats (left front bottom, seen above my wire)
Put that cable through the D buckle of your helmet or through your "connected" chinstrap.
Then put both loops over the hook (seen in pic).
Close your seat. Helmet now hangs secure beside your seat. Go shopping :D

(Ya know what? I never used this thinga-ma-jig so I hope I got my instrucciones right! :lol:
If not, please step up and correct me. And...if you have a better idea(s), toss them in too. Thank yas)
Now I see it! I went out yesterday to see if I could find that hook you are talking about, but was looking in all the wrong places. Thanks for the pic--it is worth a thousand.

They should have saved themselves the trouble of providing something that wil allow us to leave our valuable headpieces out in the open exposed to the weather and other nefarious elements.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

you you wrote:It's to help with erectile dysfunction. Honda have thought of everything and there's no more need for two lollipop sticks and an elastic band...
That was the first thing I thought of when I found it.

Doesn't work any better than popsicle sticks. Worse, in fact.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

j.d.b. wrote:You could save the trip and email that shot to your dealer and ask?
You get the gold star for that suggestion. Eventually, I suppose, I would have come on that idea--question is, why do I need that "eventually" for such an obviously sensible MO?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Good question. We have hooked our helmets to that hook without using the provided accessory, and they worked quite well there. Of course, if someone wants your helmet enough to cut the strap, then it wouldn't do you any good one way or the other. But at least Honda was nice enough to provide one of those for convenience.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

As luck would have it, my helmet doesn't fit under the seat, so I use it all the time. If there is a chance of rain, then helmet goes into a plastic bag, but other than than, it hangs safely out of the way and allows me full use of the storage compartment.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My helmet goes in my Givin tail box. It is much easier to get to and to store, and if I have a bag of groceries, I can replace the helmet with the bag of groceries. About the only time that we use the hook is when we have packed for an all day trip, like our 5 state outings. Then there is no place else to put the helmet.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:Good question. We have hooked our helmets to that hook without using the provided accessory, and they worked quite well there. Of course, if someone wants your helmet enough to cut the strap, then it wouldn't do you any good one way or the other. But at least Honda was nice enough to provide one of those for convenience.
There are people out there who really don't know that a helmet without a strap is like a shoe without a sole. Also, lots of creative types arre floating around who would have no trouble at all sewing in a new strap. I confess I rarely park my machines anywhere that helmet snatchers are likely to be roaming, so I could probably use the hook without a hitch--but I have top boxes on both my scooters and don't really need to trust my luck (such as it is).
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

GeorgeSK wrote:As luck would have it, my helmet doesn't fit under the seat, so I use it all the time. If there is a chance of rain, then helmet goes into a plastic bag, but other than than, it hangs safely out of the way and allows me full use of the storage compartment.
I envy your tursting nature.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Actually, I'm not all that trusting (pretty cynical, actually). A helmet with it's rings cut off isn't worth a dime to a fence, so I don't feel it is a "rich" target. I do feel it would not take much of a set of cable cutters to go through Honda's loop, but that is the sort of thing a perp carries mostly for an evening's "shopping".

The last bit of security is that the only place my scoot is left for any length of time and with any regularity is at work, where it is parked about 20 yards from the main entrance to the county jail. Between cameras and lots of men and women in blue, someone would have to be more than a little crazy to mess with my helmet.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fun2scoot »

Well, this is embarrassing...

I couldn't figure out what that thing was for so I've been using it to turn dogs on the barbie. Works great too!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

naturally everything has a time where it does not work, but I just size up my situation before using the helmet hook. Running into a drug store for a minute mid day? yes, I use it. Parking in a park where the bike is not easily seen? nope, helmet comes with me....but most of the time I use the hook
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fun2scoot wrote:Well, this is embarrassing...

I couldn't figure out what that thing was for so I've been using it to turn dogs on the barbie. Works great too!

Isn't that cruel?