From Motorcycle.com: PCX top box mount recall announced

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

From Motorcycle.com: PCX top box mount recall announced

Post by montliz44 »

One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: From Motorcycle.com: PCX top box mount recall announced

Post by homie »

"Overall, Honda has received 11 reports of PCX top boxes detaching, all from Japan." I wonder what those people are putting in the luggage?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:"Overall, Honda has received 11 reports of PCX top boxes detaching, all from Japan." I wonder what those people are putting in the luggage?

I'll be OK. I never ride to Japan
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ohhh cripes, a recall.
What if you bought said Honda rack # off a vendor on Amazon? Not a dealer? Honda's claiming they will be replacing units come Summer 2016 (is that what I read?) Beats me how I'll get one. Well, I don't carry a topbox anywho but one never knows if...and when...just maybe?
Amazon sold many racks :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

The part is recalled, and does not depend on the seller. Here's info from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). I recommend contacting Honda at the number provided to ensure you get notice when the replacement part is available.

Regards,
Bash (former NHTSA attorney; this post is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship)

RECALL Subject : Accessory Trunk may Detach from Scooter

Report Receipt Date: MAR 24, 2016
NHTSA Campaign Number: 16E023000
Component(s): EQUIPMENT
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,533

All Products Associated with this Recall

Details

6 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)

SUMMARY:
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain accessory rear trunk bases, part numbers 08L71-K35-J00, 08L70-KZY-910, and 81200-KWN-780 used to mount accessory trunks on Honda PCX125 and PCX150 scooters. The locking hook of the accessory removable trunk may not fully engage to the trunk mounting base, allowing the trunk to inadvertently detach.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the trunk detaches while riding, it may become a road hazard and increase the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Remedy parts are not currently available. Honda will send owners an interim notification to instruct them not to use the trunk or to visit a dealer for a temporary remedy. When parts are available, owners will receive a second notification and dealers will install a newly designed trunk base, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-800-999-1009. Honda's number for this recall is JY8.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

"Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-800-999-1009"

This phone number is for Honda vehicles, and they have no information about this recall. You have to call Honda Powersports Customer Service at 1-866-784-1870.

Thanks for the heads up on the recall. My bike is in Thailand - but I bought the rack in the US (not sold in Thailand even though it is made there) and I just contacted Honda about getting a replacement.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its probably fine, chances are the boxes dropping off were user error i.e. not fitted on the rack correctly with the catch fully secured.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Probably right, GN2. Still, since it's a free replacement, mine will be swapped out. (The Honda topbox on my bike makes a lot of racket. Rattles so much it sounds like it's loose but doesn't move when I yank on it.)
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Happy dance, thanks for all the helpful input Everyone!! What a team! :P
Jotting number down that Bob provided and have them add me to their list.
I likes New :D and working parts.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
BobS
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BobS »

Just an update on my recall issue - bike in Thailand, rack purchased in USA.

Heard back from Honda Powersports. They need proof of purchase to start the procedure - and they only accept faxes, no emails. I was able to contact the USA dealer where I bought the rack, and they are faxing the info to Honda.

Once everything is approved, they will process everything through the dealer. I will have to bring the old rack back to the USA for the swap.

Honda said that they would send the rack to me, but that would involve Thai Customs, and import tax would be collected. Easier to hand carry it.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Good that you get to travel between Thailand and the USA as that would be a costly trip to exchange a top box :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

BobS wrote:Just an update on my recall issue - bike in Thailand, rack purchased in USA.

Heard back from Honda Powersports. They need proof of purchase to start the procedure - and they only accept faxes, no emails. I was able to contact the USA dealer where I bought the rack, and they are faxing the info to Honda.

Once everything is approved, they will process everything through the dealer. I will have to bring the old rack back to the USA for the swap.

Honda said that they would send the rack to me, but that would involve Thai Customs, and import tax would be collected. Easier to hand carry it.
Why bother?
Just check its OK yourself and save a shitload of hassle.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
BobS
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BobS »

Why bother?

Well, maybe I want to replace a part that has a history of breakage. You can't look at a metal rack and predict that it won't fail (at least I can't).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Boy am I glad that I purchased Givi products instead of the Honda one. I like the design of the Honda, but I knew that Givi had tested the heck out of their stuff.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers