Can the pcx150 last 100 miles?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Idledrummer
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Can the pcx150 last 100 miles?

Post by Idledrummer »

Hi everyone, I am new user a out to purchase a pcx 150. My decision was made after reading all the great posts on this forum.
Getting my license in 3 weeks.
Based on my math, I need to ride 100k miles to recover my initial investment in gasoline savings, will the pcx150 last that long?
Idledrummer

Re: Can the pcx150 last 100k miles?

Post by Idledrummer »

Sorry, I meant 100k miles.
txpcx13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13&14
Color: Rojox2

Re: Can the pcx150 last 100 miles?

Post by txpcx13 »

It will need a rebuild or 2 before the 100K mark. Not to mention belts, tires, oil changes, etc, etc, etc.... Buying a vehicle as an investment? I really don't know what you were driving before but maybe a motorcycle or something like that....well anywho, enjoy your PCX for many many miles to come, but it won't make it to 100K without lots of love and more investments.... .02
2013 Honda PCX (Red) - NCY 13g rollers, golden variator, drive face, YSS shocks, Givi E450
2014 Honda Forza (Red) - Adige 17g rollers, Kappa K466
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Post by flyingzonker »

I used to think that riding a motorcycle or motorcycle-like vehicle would save me money. I don't think that way anymore so much. But I love to ride, so...who cares about money when love is in the mix?
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by db22 »

flyingzonker wrote:I used to think that riding a motorcycle or motorcycle-like vehicle would save me money. I don't think that way anymore so much. But I love to ride, so...who cares about money when love is in the mix?
Hmmm . . . My Accord V-6 gets around 26 mpg. I haven't figured the mpg yet for my PCX, but I guess it is getting around 80 mpg. Each workday commute totals 35 miles, round-trip. Both vehicles are owned outright, no loans. I put a half-tank of ethanol-free premium in the PCX today -- total cost, $3.00. It's hard to see how I'm not saving at least a little money every day the Accord stays in the garage.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

db22 wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:I used to think that riding a motorcycle or motorcycle-like vehicle would save me money. I don't think that way anymore so much. But I love to ride, so...who cares about money when love is in the mix?
Hmmm . . . My Accord V-6 gets around 26 mpg. I haven't figured the mpg yet for my PCX, but I guess it is getting around 80 mpg. Each workday commute totals 35 miles, round-trip. Both vehicles are owned outright, no loans. I put a half-tank of ethanol-free premium in the PCX today -- total cost, $3.00. It's hard to see how I'm not saving at least a little money every day the Accord stays in the garage.
You could save more if you put 87 octane in since that's what it calls for, but if you're specifically shooting for ethanol free, you get what you can find. Of course, you'll be getting better fuel economy from ethanol free anyway, so unless you're flogging the day lights out of the engine, you're very likely doing close to, if not better than 100 mpg.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterAddict »

All you need to do is change the oil and check the valve lash at prescribed intervals. I believe the engine itself will make it. You may need to replace other parts but at least the most expensive item, the engine will survive. I met a man in Florida who had a Honda Helix with 179,000mi on it. He said he never went inside the engine. It was pretty clean for its age!
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

db22 wrote:It's hard to see how I'm not saving at least a little money every day the Accord stays in the garage.
You have to factor in the total cost of ownership rather than just the fuel cost.
At the time I bought a PCX I had a Jaguar and thought owning the PCX would save me money.
It didn't.
But I enjoyed riding it for a while.

To the original question will it last 100,000 miles?
Who knows, I doubt anyone has even managed half that before being bored shitless by its lacklustre performance and selling it.
With modern oils I can't see why it wouldn't go the distance without any need to rebuild the engine.
If you use fully synthetic it stops engine wear dead in its tracks apparently.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Idledrummer wrote:Hi everyone, I am new user a out to purchase a pcx 150. My decision was made after reading all the great posts on this forum.
Getting my license in 3 weeks.
Based on my math, I need to ride 100k miles to recover my initial investment in gasoline savings, will the pcx150 last that long?
Okay, to ride 100,000 miles would require you to ride 10,000 miles per year for 10 yrs, or more realistically 5,000 miles per year for 20 yrs.

Who knows if they'll even be selling gas in 20 yrs... our reserves of easily extracted fossil fuels could be gone by the.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The PCX saves you fuel costs over a regular automobile, but i doubt there are any gas powered vehicles out that would allow you to FULLY recoup your expenses. Imagine trying to recoup your total expenses while spending money for maintenance. At what point does it not cost you anything to drive the vehicle? I had a SUV that I bought new, that was totaled when it reached 86K miles. It had been paid off for quite a few years. However, one week before it was totaled I had put new tires on it and new shocks. I am still paying that bill off, but the SUV is no more. So, as you are saving on fuel costs you are spending on maintenance such as tires and tuneups. Even doing your own maintenance, you still have to pay for the tires, spark plug, any panels you might have to replace, etc.
Don't buy a vehicle simple to try to recoup your costs. You will never succeed. Buy a used bicycle if you need to be able to fully recoup your costs. Buy a PCX if you want to have fun.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

My PCX would have paid for itself in approx 30 months - £1650 yearly public transport bill vs less than £3K on the road for the bike. There are other costs such as insurance (£110/yr), tax (£17/yr) and fuel (130 average mpg). I not do my own maintenance so add a few hundred pound over many years.
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Post by zanggerk »

DailyRider wrote:
Idledrummer wrote:
Who knows if they'll even be selling gas in 20 yrs... our reserves of easily extracted fossil fuels could be gone by the.
That's what people were saying already 40 years ago...
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

zanggerk wrote:
DailyRider wrote:
Yes
I remember that, actually.
But still, the price has gotten higher and the situation in the Middle East has not improved.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

The riding school I attended had a number of CBR 125Rs with 80,000+km on them . They'd probably roll over the odometer to 160,000km (100k miles) easily. It's a Honda. Treat it well with oil changes as per the service manual and it will treat you well back.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DailyRider wrote:
zanggerk wrote:
DailyRider wrote:
Yes
I remember that, actually.
But still, the price has gotten higher and the situation in the Middle East has not improved.

In real terms the price hasn't got any higher. Its at an unsustainable low level as crude
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I did a quick calculation. My car costs about 26.9 cents a km to run, assuming 20,000km a year. That includes insurance, gas, tires, maintenance, and depreciation from $26,000 (how much I paid for it) down to $1,000 when it hits 300,000km.

A PCX is about 18 cents a km, assuming 10,000km a year. Includes all the same except depreciation is from $4,800 (Canadian price, fees and taxes included, without haggling) to $1,000 when it hits 80,000km. That cost per km drops to 15 cents at 20,000km a year.

By that calculation, the PCX will have paid for itself after less than 43,000km of riding.

What if it was a PCX vs. a cheap $1,000 used car that has depreciated as much as it could? It gets close, about 18.5 cents a km for the car. I reduced insurance amount but increase maintenance costs. I'd take the PCX though. The only time I can tolerate being in a cage is if there's snow on the road or my bike is out of service.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

When fossil fuel reserves are really getting low, I would imagine most would be kept for military, government and flying (huge price rises) with normal people having to use electric or other vehicles.
Idledrummer

Post by Idledrummer »

My commute is 14 miles each way. Considering the oil changes and maintenance I will save on my car as well, it is, I can't go wrong. But as many of you suggested, the fun factor is priceless! I used to ride a 50cc scooter when I was 15.
Thank you everyone for your insightful input.
I am getting one, hopefully this week.
Loving this forum already.
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by db22 »

honkerman wrote:
db22 wrote:
You could save more if you put 87 octane in since that's what it calls for, but if you're specifically shooting for ethanol free, you get what you can find. Of course, you'll be getting better fuel economy from ethanol free anyway, so unless you're flogging the day lights out of the engine, you're very likely doing close to, if not better than 100 mpg.
There is no vendor here who has 87 octane ethanol-free. My dealer warned me to stay away from ethanol except when the tank is empty and nothing else is available. My old bikes hated gasohol, and even my lawn mower runs better on pure gasoline. I do use gasohol in the Accord, but the engine was designed for it.

I know I'll never completely cover the cost of my scoot, I just want to lower my weekly expenses and enjoy riding a two-wheeler. So far, I've ridden to work every day this week, and am approaching the 300-mile mark on the odometer. Every day is less chilly, more spring-like. Finally!
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

db22 wrote:My dealer warned me to stay away from ethanol except when the tank is empty and nothing else is available.
The PCX is intended to be used with an ethanol mix of up to 10% (E10) so your dealer is talking shite.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong