top speed and mpg loss

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iantys46
Year: 2011
Color: white

top speed and mpg loss

Post by iantys46 »

i have a pcx 125 now done 20,000 miles when i first got it it bounced off the rev limiter at 62-63 mph and did around 106 mpg.
like another guy on here i have fitted michelin city grip from and rear and had it serviced and every time i have it service it seems to lose around 3mph and 3mpg i have had the belt changed around a year ago. It is now doing 55mph and 98mpg and seems to struggle to achieve this speed where before the engine was wanting to go faster but the electronics cut in. It easily hit 63mph even two up.
The local dealers i have spoken to don't seem to be conversant with this problem but i know others have had similar issues.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Re: top speed and mpg loss

Post by dkazzed »

Dirty air filter? Dirty fuel injector? Spark plug needs replacement? Worn CVT components like rollers, clutch, etc.? Needs a valve adjustment?

Those five would be my main suspects, sorted by easiest to hardest fix.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

It would be good to have more information.

Did anything happen prior to this: Recent service? New Belt? Long time unused?

Are the tire pressures right? How does the spark plug look? Always check the little things first.

Have you had regular services done per the service schedule in your manual?

The reason I ask is, it could be a simple matter, or something more complicated like worn CVT parts (belt, pulleys, variator, secondary clutch), or a leaky valve, or a fuel delivery issue.

Best to start by checking the easy stuff.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You do need to add your location so that we can better determine if the environment may play a part in this. Also, the rollers should have been replaced at some point in that time. If not, then do that, either using the OEM ones or get some NCY 13 gram rollers and give it some pep. How many miles have you put on the new belt? As it wears it will affect your top end and gas mileage.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
txpcx13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13&14
Color: Rojox2

Post by txpcx13 »

I really can't add too much more. If you follow the recommendations above you should find your problem.... My one small tip is to change the fluids yourself (oil and tranny) to make sure you get it done properly and the stealership isn't cutting corners.
2013 Honda PCX (Red) - NCY 13g rollers, golden variator, drive face, YSS shocks, Givi E450
2014 Honda Forza (Red) - Adige 17g rollers, Kappa K466