PCX 125 or XR 125

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

emjaybee
Year: 2015
Color: white

PCX 125 or XR 125

Post by emjaybee »

I am on verge of purchasing a replacement for my terrible Chinese scooter that finally died.

I have a fixed budget and want a reliable Honda as I will be using the bike on daily commute to work which is a 70km round trip. I am considering the PCX 125 although part of my journey is on a highway with speed limit of 100km/hour and I also have to traverse a mountain pass so wondering if the 125 would be up to it.
I am also considering an XR 125/150 which fall in the same price range. Obviously not a scooter but may be better for the commute.

Feedback/suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Mark
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: PCX 125 or XR 125

Post by homie »

Where are you located Mark? Please fill in all of your information when you get a chance. 100km being 62mph is just about all she has for top speed without a performance kit which would help with climbing a mountain as well but you should consider something other than PCX for your curious location and commuting requirements. Here's a funny video of a guy who stole an XR 125 and then road it all seasons, even gets it to burn out. Then he tears it to pieces for no apperant reason :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRJbug0hkLA
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

"Mountain pass" and "125" perhaps isn't a match made in heaven.
A scooter is better for commuting than a conventional motorbike.
As for "reliable Honda", think again, because there's plenty problems with Hondas.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

emjaybee wrote:I am on verge of purchasing a replacement for my terrible Chinese scooter that finally died.

I have a fixed budget and want a reliable Honda as I will be using the bike on daily commute to work which is a 70km round trip. I am considering the PCX 125 although part of my journey is on a highway with speed limit of 100km/hour and I also have to traverse a mountain pass so wondering if the 125 would be up to it.
I am also considering an XR 125/150 which fall in the same price range. Obviously not a scooter but may be better for the commute.

Feedback/suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Mark
Despite GN2's cynicism, a true Honda is likely to prove more reliable than something made during the off hours at a Chinese plant with Honda tooling. Tbh though, a 125-150 may be a bit small for your needs. Something above 200cc is more likely to meet your needs. Also, if you'll be doing a lot of altitude changing, a fuel injected machine is best.

Now, that said, I have a a pcx150 and do a similar type of commute to school every day, hitting 65-68 mph for a short stretch of highway, then jaunting up over a small mountain and around some twisty roads. I'm able to make it work, and I find that the PCX doesn't skip a beat. It can be done, I do it (though the mountains around here may not be like your mountains), primarily to prove it can be done. The fact that the PCX is fuel injected does eliminate any stuttering from altitude changes, though I only run into extreme altitude differences when I travel through the Catskills or Adirondacks, or the Berkshires.

In any event, do what works for you.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Post by zanggerk »

Hi Mark,

it would be good to know how much your budget for the bike is. I also think that the PCX is probably not the best choice for your commute. It certainly can be done, but I don't think it will be fun for you for a long time. Personally, I don't feel very comfortable riding the PCX around 100 kmh for longer times, especially in strong winds.

Best regards,
Klaus