Snow Goggles!

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Snow Goggles!

Post by foggyhelmet »

:ugeek:

Need some input from any of you who ride all year round and face visor or goggle fogginess that will then refreeze immediately.

What I am looking for is a pair of goggles I can wear under my helmet that are: 1) Dust resistant 2) Fog resistant 3) Effective at temperatures down to 0 degrees

What I do have thus far: I have a dual pane visor, I have goggle/yellow sunglasses, I know about dish soap and how it can prevent fog/freeze. All of these items work, to a point, but also require a lot of ongoing maintenance as I am riding.

I'd like to effectively acquire something that has both the qualities of snow goggles and riding goggles that can allow me to ride 20 miles without manually wiping the glasses every mile. Yes, this is considering the roads are safe.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Snow Goggles!

Post by Mel46 »

I use NOVUS #1 plasitc polish for everything. It is suppose to be antifogging. So far it works well, but then we don't really get any snow here. Just rain and cold air. It also works quite well on the windshield because it puts a coating on it that causes rain, etc to slide right off.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

You are going to need a snowmobile helmet with a plug in visor. And you might as well save up for a plug in jacket liner and glove liners as well since you will then have the bike wired for heat.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Can the PCX's alternator support the extra load of heated gear? Seems like a push to me.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Why would you automatically think that? I run a full set of jacket, pant, and glove liners with no problems. they are so warm and luxurious that I never turn the pants up past 50% and the jacket liner almost burns my arms on 75%. Maybe 100 Watts total. Helmet, jacket and glove liners would be under 100W. The only person I have read that had a problem was riding in stop and go traffic with the start/stop feature in constant use.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If I connected any of that stuff up, I would probably connect it directly to the battery and let the system recharge the battery. I have heard of some riders who have connected 2 batteries together in order to handle the load. I don't know how well the alternator will handle that, but if it works why not try that??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Any electrical accessory you hook to a vehicle is connected to the battery either directly or through a switch. The alternator included.
foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

Ultimately, I'd love to plunk down $ for all the perfect heating gear, but I've decided to focus on the goggles for now -for when the visor fails you and that extra heat creates fog inside the helmet, then the icy wind refreezes that fog in an instant, the goggles have always saved my ass in a pinch. Just want the best that's out there as it relates to snow goggles.

Ajax dish soap works extremely well, but after enough road grime covers the visor you have to pull over, wash and dry the visor, and reapply the thin layer of dish soap. This is more of a combination of dust which scratches the lense and then fog and then frozen dust, fog, and scratches.

I could handle any two of those alone, but put all three together and you're s.o.l.
foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

Oh, and I do own a heated vest and it works wonders. Trust me, I am 200% aware that I own novice gear. I also know about the newspaper trick if you're facing Old Man Winter winds from the North.

It's just about the actual material of the goggles -we're talking if I could only upgrade that one item and have maximum impact on my driving vision and buy me a valuable minute in conditions that require all of my attention on the road...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I have beer goggles sometimes
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Even when I lived in the frigid North, I never liked heated gear (I hate wiring stuff into my scooter).

My preference is a full-face with all the vents closed and one of these to keep it from fogging...
http://respro.com/store/product/foggy-mask