Disconnecting the side stand from the Auto-Shutoff

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Disconnecting the side stand from the Auto-Shutoff

Post by foggyhelmet »

I've decided I don't much care for the auto-shutoff that is linked with the kickstand.

How do I disable the auto-shutoff?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Disconnecting the side stand from the Auto-Shutoff

Post by gn2 »

It's there for a reason.....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Not a good idea on a scooter bro. Unlike a clutch bike in neutral you are always in gear and if anyone twists that throttle and you are not on the center stand guess what. Clutch bikers have a habit of throttling bikes to hear the exhaust on their fellow group members bikes, if they don't realize you are an automatic there will be an awkward moment LOL. Has happened to me but fortunately I was on the C stand not a side stand with the switch disconnected.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

A previous owner of my Vino 125 must've disconnected the auto off. I deliver papers with it so this is better, but I have caught myself once a week riding off with the side stand still down. I haven't gone down because of it. Yet. For safety's sake, I'd highly recommend not defeating this safety feature.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have seen some really big bikes go down because the rider started off with his kick stand down, and he found out about it the hard way.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

I wouldn't disconnect mine as long as it was functioning properly (for all the above really good reasons) but, in answer to your question, it's easy enough to do if you want to.

Normally those switches have two wires leading to them which are nothing more than a cutout of the starter positive circuit. I assume the PCX setup is the same. When the sidestand is down, the switch opens the circuit (turns it off) and when the stand is up the switch closes the circuit (turns it on). It's hard to see on the PCX because the Tupperware is in your way, but normally all you have to do is cut the two wires, strip their ends, and twist them together to create a permanently closed loop.

Feel free to proceed at your own risk, but from a safety standpoint, this is not a good idea at all.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!