What windshield for tall people?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

What windshield for tall people?

Post by outlander »

I am 6'2 and I would like a tall windshield. On a 2015+ what windshield is there that will totally clear my head?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: What windshield for tall people?

Post by Mel46 »

None that I know of. I am 5'10" and have the tall GIVI windshield. Though my bike is the older model (2013), the tall windshield for the new PCX is the same height. When I ride, the wind just barely hits the upper part of my helmet. I believe that just a little more windshield will do the trick for me, BUT the tall windshield is already about as tall as I would want one to be before it gets in the way. I have read somewhere that there is a rubber strip that can be put on the top of the windshield that will disturb the wind flow just enough to keep it from flowing into the helmet. I think you could probably make one ourself. There are also those spoiler blades that can be added, but then you might have a problem with too much weight on that thin part of the windshield, which may cause the windshield to fail eventually. I am considering putting a piece of auto door trim on the top of mine to see if it is enough to disturb the airflow. Otherwise, I have no other suggestion.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by db22 »

I put the National Cycle extra-tall shield on my bike, posted pictures . . . and got laughed at. It is rather tall. I stand only 5'10", but I have altered my saddle to move me up and further back on the bike, and the extra-tall shield blocks the breeze all the way up to eye level without blocking my view ahead. The wind in my face is reduced, and with my helmet visor down, the ride is quite comfortable. It seems quite sturdy and easily fit on the factory studs under the upper cowl.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

In my opinion, the National Cycle Extra-Tall is probably the best option out there for you. I have the Honda OEM tall windscreen & it's probably closer to the middle-sized NC windscreen. (I would've bought the NC XT if it had been available at the time.)

I feel that either the Honda or NC windscreens will be the safest, too.
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

I am six foot, and went with the tall Honda screen...and it was great for the chest compressions resulting from the stock shield, but it beat my head like a malt liquor hangover...

Since I was already in with the Honda screen (in for a pound and many pennies) I opted to get the extender here:

http://www.amazon.com/MRA-4025066125036 ... detailpage

I am really happy with the results - I am quite comfortable, even in the high winds that we've been seeing this year, but I was in for over three hundred for it all. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just gone with the tall Givi or National Cycle.

Just my 2 cents (or more).
Attachments
IMG_5465.JPG
IMG_5465.JPG (396.14 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have the GIVI mid high windshield stored in our basement. We had thought about putting an X-creen on it but my wife pointed out that the cost was close enough to the cost of the tall GIVi windshield that we may as well spend the extra $40 and just buy the tall windshield. I have been interested in that X-creen for quite some time, but the cost is somewhat prohibitive. It should be priced closer to $70 - $75 rather than $130. The tall GIVI windshield was only $168, as apposed to the $130 for just a wing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

You get no argument from me. The adjustability of the X-creen is a nice idea, but honestly, the straight up position in the pic is both where I first put it and where is is now.

I might play with it some once the weather gets a bit warmer, but it is fine where it is for my chilly morning (and often afternoon) commute.

As usual, my mission is life is to be a warning for others...

Mike
outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by outlander »

It looks like the d1130st givi windshield will not be high enough. Are there any taller windshields?
alanhayward
Color: Candy Red

Post by alanhayward »

I have the GIVI D1136ST fitted to my 2015/16 125cc Honda PCX, the standard 'jet type' screen just wasn't high enough and anything over 40 mph felt like the wind was trying to push me off the back of the bike (I'm 5' 9" tall). The taller screen is working much better for me.
It's just a shame that Honda don't fit a taller screen as standard. I purchased mine from motorcard.com for $45 (they're in Spain) and that included delivery to the U.K., which I thought was very reasonable.
Safe scootin'!
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

Wingscribe wrote:I am six foot, and went with the tall Honda screen...and it was great for the chest compressions resulting from the stock shield, but it beat my head like a malt liquor hangover...

Since I was already in with the Honda screen (in for a pound and many pennies) I opted to get the extender here:

http://www.amazon.com/MRA-4025066125036 ... detailpage

I am really happy with the results - I am quite comfortable, even in the high winds that we've been seeing this year, but I was in for over three hundred for it all. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just gone with the tall Givi or National Cycle.

Just my 2 cents (or more).
So the MRA X-creen you have the bigger one?? Have you had any cracks around where you drilled the holes where you mounted? I have a GIVI w/s that was already installed when I bought it. I don't know what size it is. I'm 5'9" and the wind buffets my head like a pinball being played by "Tommy!" If I stand up on the scooter about the same distance as my helmet size, it gets totally quiet. I almost feel that I could have a w/s about a foot shorter to alleviate the buffeting. The X-Creen is what I was seriously contemplating.

Let me know your valued opinion. Thanks!
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
Cardzguy
Color: Red

Post by Cardzguy »

My wife is 5'6" but sits tall in the seat. I am 5'10" and my eye level is about the same as hers. We installed the National Cycle mid size (tall) and found it to be too short. They were very accommodating about the exchange. We installed the Extra Tall version yesterday and I took it for a test ride. The wind break was right at the visor of my helmet so I didn't get any buffeting in the eyes. My wife tried it (it is her scooter) and loved it. The bottom line is, it depends on your stature. If you have long legs and a short torso, 6'2" may work well with the Extra tall model. If you have an average size torso, even the extra tall model is going to put the wind in your eyes. On a side note, the wind stream created by this windshield created a very nice side breeze on my face for a nice cooling effect.