Changing antifreeze and brake fluid

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Changing antifreeze and brake fluid

Post by davenowherejones »

glencoeman wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:106,000 km and still the same anti-freeze & brake fluid.

I did add one ounce to the rear (left) reservoir the other day.
That's a sign that the rear brake pads are wearing out as they don't last long on the Forza.
That is what I suspected also but the rear pads were fine.

I suspect that it was low because of the 106,000 km on the machine.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

Just got my new to me 2015 Forza 300 w/ ABS and want to bleed the front caliper. I found out how to do the rear.

I don't have a service manual (but would really like one if available in PDF), and was wondering which bleeder screw goes with what reservoir on the front caliper? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

The top bleed screw is for the front brake (right hand side master cylinder) and the lower is the bleed screw for the left hand side master cylinder.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jburner »

Thanks glencoeman. Then what is the bleed screw for in the rear? That's what I used to bleed the left hand side master cyl or do you have to bleed both for the left side?
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

The bleed screw in the rear caliper is also linked to the left hand side master cylinder. The brakes on the Forza are linked front to rear and that is the reason for bleed nipples front and rear. The front caliper has three pistons. The middle one is linked to the left hand side master cylinder (viewed from the seat) and the two outer pistons are linked to the front brake master cylinder. (right hand side viewing from the seat). All the brake lines go through and are controlled by the ABS unit. Despite having a bleed screw on the front caliper, you still need a bleed screw on the rear caliper to get any air out of the system and to change brake fluid at periodic servicing. You might be better off getting someone to help you who is familiar with brake systems as your life depends on having good brakes.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jburner »

I get it. Just wanted to gain an understanding of how these brakes worked vs the PCX which didn’t have the rear bleeder. It’s all good and brakes are bled and ready to go. Thanks for clarification. I don’t have the service manual yet so needed to know the info.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I hate bleeding.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:I hate bleeding.

Don’t touch your nipples then.
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

How much brake fluid is needed for a complete renewal of front and back brakes...!? Honda didn't think it was necessary to put this in the manual, just says need DOT 4....

(Mine is an old model 2016, but I'm guessing old and new are the same I'm brakes ...!)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am guessing one bottle. The reservoirs are pretty small. The lines are short.

Get a big bottle if you are worried you don't have enough. That gives you some to do a bit of flushing. 500 ml????

Don't forget it is a combined braking system. Two pots on the front and one rear with one front.

Actually if you have to ask how much then you are not qualified to work on brakes in my opinion.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:I am guessing one bottle. The reservoirs are pretty small. The lines are short.

Get a big bottle if you are worried you don't have enough. That gives you some to do a bit of flushing. 500 ml????

Don't forget it is a combined braking system. Two pots on the front and one rear with one front.

Actually if you have to ask how much then you are not qualified to work on brakes in my opinion.

Is there an award for the most common sense post?
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

Absolutely not doing it myself, but I want to buy the fluid and take it to the mechanic. He has some at high price I can't even pronounce the name, Honda service shop lost my business a while ago, I am going to a freelancer shop. These guys do a lot of sport bikes, so I think he has a high temperature sport/race fluid that is expensive and not needed for a scooter ...

It seems you don't know the exact amount either, but thanks for your reply anyway...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Austins wrote:Absolutely not doing it myself, but I want to buy the fluid and take it to the mechanic. He has some at high price I can't even pronounce the name, Honda service shop lost my business a while ago, I am going to a freelancer shop. These guys do a lot of sport bikes, so I think he has a high temperature sport/race fluid that is expensive and not needed for a scooter ...

It seems you don't know the exact amount either, but thanks for your reply anyway...

There is no exact amount really as you need to allow for flushing and bleeding if necessary.

Buy 500ml.