New here! Battle Damaged PCX in need of help

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

courior
Year: 2011
Color: Silver

New here! Battle Damaged PCX in need of help

Post by courior »

Hi all,

Ive been a biker for the last 14 years and for the last 8 always had a scooter along side the big one to take the wear and tear of daily use.. Recently i really got bitten by the scooter bug when i tried some bigger scoots and as i am on a tiny little island in the med (Malta) my 1200cc was a little too much. So i got me a Kymco Downtown 350i. But enough of my life history...

I know my way around a car/bike and have a decent garage, so when i saw my next door neighbors PCX sat in the same spot (crap building up around the flat tires) in the street for 3 months i decided to low ball him 200 Euro for it, after some words, it was mine for 250 Euro! thats about 160 of the queens finest i think. It is a 2011 model with 18000 Km on the clock. It has been down the road a few times i feel and its pretty damaged, but after i dragged it to my garage, i put the key in and it fired up instantly (batt is only 6 months old and 10C is the min temp here so batts last ages). The last time my neighbor rode it was on its side into the back of a car.. so the front end is messed, and the steering is not aligned anymore (think i can re-jig this though).

This is the only pic i have for now.

I will be needing a LOT of spares i think, and here the spares are v expensive as there are hardly any second hand spares so have to go to honda! .. If anyone is breaking one and can do postage to Essex, then i use a forwarding company to get stuff here, then let me know :)

The main part i need so far is the Headlight, and possibly subframe. But also need the foot board rubbers, and maybe plastics up front. Also the seat hinge is snapped from the luggage compartment, so will need the whole luggage compartment unless i can bodge that. Also front brake switch, but i think they are common to loads of jap bikes so will try and get one here.

Sorry for the long first post.. I will get some more pics up later this week.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: New here! Battle Damaged PCX in need of help

Post by kramnala58 »

Could you include your location on your profile? It helps us help you. Thanks
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014
Color: White

Post by Robert R »

I got some parts body parts to repair a friends pcx from Max Motorcycles in London. Phone 020 8144 1826. Found them very helpful and very prompt dispatch. Reasonable price and postage cost. Hope that helps.
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Hopefully you have a service manual, but if you don't there is a thread on this forum about dismantling an entire pcx. Use it and it will make taking the bike apart much easier.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
courior

Post by courior »

Hi all. Thanks for the heads up about that shop in London. I'll give em a call tomorrow :).

I added .my location also. I don't have the service manual and in fact I found this site while looking for one and found the parts diagrams. I'll strip it down and just see how it all goes together.

Another prob I have is the centre stand Mount is sheered off. I got a mate who can weld ally so will see if he can sort it.

Pics are coming tonight as I know we all like pics lol.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

courior wrote:Another prob I have is the centre stand Mount is sheered off. I got a mate who can weld ally so will see if he can sort it.
Be very careful with the centre stand. There is a historical problem with the older models. Make sure the case isn't cracked. I know it is convenient to use the centre stand at times, but you may want to consider removing it all together and avoid any catastrophic breakdowns.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Malta is nice I have /had a friend their who used to have a business sending stuff to Libya! He's from Kent not Essex.

Sorry OT and just waxing lyrical.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The 2011 model was notorious for breaking at the center stand and cracking the case.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2630

Here is the How-to, to help you tear down the bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

courior

Post by courior »

Cheers all!

The centre stand is a useful feature, I think its been broken for about a year. There are no oil leaks and motor is very strong. I got a mate who can weld it back on.

Pics of the damage:

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The problem with the center stand on that particular year was that it was not reinforced enough, so it could not handle as much weight as it should have been able to. On top of that it was attached to the case directly, so if you were heavy and sat on it while it was on the center stand it could break free and push right through the case. Honda was aware of the problem and reinforced it on the newer models.The advice to remove it comes from others on this forum who have had it break and puncture or crack the case.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

courior

Post by courior »

Hmmm might be worth getting shot of it then.. How was it re-enforced on the later models? is it something i can retro-fit? Thanks!
courior

Post by courior »

Bit of an update :) .. Managed to fix the seat hinge and now the stop start system works! Also refurbished the front brake light switch. I undone all the forks and front wheel gave it a decent bash up against a wall and its straightened the steering 95% perfect. I took it out for a spin and have to say its pretty quick for a 125! This little fixer upper project is starting to grow on me!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Glad it is working out for you. Keep us updated with your progress.
courior

Post by courior »

Not much of an update as I'm waiting for parts. Got a new exhaust cover. Next is the front mudguard and some foot mats.. I'm gonna try and glue the bits of headlight lens back together. :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If you can get parts from the web, there are quite a few websites that deal in PCX parts. The 2011 parts fit all the way up to and including the 2013 model. Then they changed the bike dramatically so none of the parts for the older ones would fit. Keeping that in mind, what you need to do is to locate a website that ships to your part of the world.
I use bike bandit.com but they may not ship outside of the USA. Check with them. They have their shipping policies on one of their pages.
I also use Reveille.com, and they have their shipping policies easily available too. Go to the bottom of the main page and there will be a link to their shipping policy.
There is also Powerbypcx.com, which has a lot of nice parts. They are in Thailand.
Good luck in our hunt for parts.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi courior! Nice project! I've got to say that you'll be a proud Daddy when you're finished. It'll be "All Yours" for sure!
March On! 8)

Hey Mel, I'm going to provide links to those websites you just recommended above, they'll be just a click away for those that want to go there ;)

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/hon ... er/s/m6c11

http://www.powerbypcx.com/en/

(hmm?...Not familiar with Reveille.com
Did you mean Revzilla Mel?)

If so, that would be:
http://www.revzilla.com
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
courior

Post by courior »

So.. I got a new front mudguard and decided to try and repair the headlight. It took a about an hour and a lot of elbow grease!! Also a blowtorch helped to heat up the glue bonding the clear lens to the backing plastic. I glued all the broken parts back together and re-bonded the light into one piece, looks not too bad!!

Also i have Plasti-Dipped the top half gun metal grey (matt finish) like the new 2016 PCX and also done the lowers in matt black. So far it looks like this:

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It is starting to look good. As for the center stand, I do not know for sure what they did aside from reinforcing it, possibly with a thicker casing. Some of the others here know far more about it than I do. They woulld be a better source. It has been discussed a lot here so maybe a search within this site will aim your in the right direction.
I must say that I have had my bike completely apart and would not have thought that the headlight assembly could be glued back together so that it was strong enough to withstand the constant vibration of the front end. Perhaps you can use it like that for awhile and order a replacement. Still, the bike looks much better now. Keep us posted on your progress.
Whitnoise, you are correct. It was suppose to e Revzilla but the auto correct on my Samsung devices doesn't seem to like that word. You should have seen the problems I had recently when I tried to type in an word that it didn't know. My solution is that I have attached an external keyboard by way of Bluetooth which turns off the auto-correct.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

Courior,

Just had the exact same snapping of the seat front hinge when the temps hit zero degrees last week.

What did you end up having to do to repair it? Was it just some superglue and a tight strap, or is there more to it?

The plastic broke in almost exactly the same place during normal use.