First Ride - Last Ride

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

CelticCross
Year: 2011
Color: Gray

First Ride - Last Ride

Post by CelticCross »

We had an unseasonably warm day yesterday in north east Ohio so was able to get out and ride for the first time in 2016. Snowed this morning and forecasted to be below normal temps with more snow this week, so expect that this was my last ride of the winter.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: First Ride - Last Ride

Post by Mel46 »

Well you are better off than we are. I just finished repairing my wife's bike after our accident but we can't ride due to the weather, so you were able to get one more ride in than I could. Enjoy the memory. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by TonyM »

That's one of the few advantages of living here in California - you can ride all year around in most parts of this state. I went on an hour long ride this afternoon and it felt good to get out as we've had rain recently and I no longer deliberately ride in the rain these days.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The only reason I don't like riding in the rain is the harm done to the scoot - in terms of muck and grime build-up over time - not bothered about me as I wear waterproofs. I don't bother cleaning the lower part and wheels anymore as they get dirty the next time I ride.

It was torrential rain with many water-logged roads commuting to work this morning at 2am , but the bike and IRC's did me proud.

It would be a waste to only use the scoot for nicer months and pay £520 in tube fare over four months and waste four months of insurance and tax keeping the bike covered up.
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

Mel46 wrote:Well you are better off than we are. I just finished repairing my wife's bike after our accident but we can't ride due to the weather, so you were able to get one more ride in than I could. Enjoy the memory. :-)

Sorry to hear about your Accident! Hope you're both OK! What happened?

I got a couple of Rides in, during the past several days, and they felt GREAT! Weather this week is staying between 40's-50's, so I'll wait and see what the next week brings us.

I usually ride Year-Round here in Texas, as long as it's not Sloppery or Bone-Chilling Cold!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
CelticCross
Year: 2011
Color: Gray

Post by CelticCross »

I was able to ride year round when I lived in Virginia and miss that here in Ohio. It is supposed to be drier and warmer this winter, but still might not be able to ride again until March. Even if the weather does warm up enough for riding (>30 degrees) this winter, not sure I will given the amount of de-icing salt put on the roads. Will probably wait for spring rains to wash the salt of the road surface.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think most of the members know about our accident back in September, so I won't go over it again. Here is a progress report. The bikes are fixed, aside from needing a windshield on my wife's bike, but she won't be riding for awhile anyway.
As for her progress, the surgery went well on her shoulder, and the doctor has pronounced the shoulder well. She is now doing physical therapy and is doing quite well. She is finally able to drive. Riding will come eventually, but not now.

I am thinking about swapping out her bike's variator, drive face, and weights for NCY while it is inside for the winter. I already have everything except the variator itself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I think most of the members know about our accident back in September, so I won't go over it again. Here is a progress report. The bikes are fixed, aside from needing a windshield on my wife's bike, but she won't be riding for awhile anyway.
As for her progress, the surgery went well on her shoulder, and the doctor has pronounced the shoulder well. She is now doing physical therapy and is doing quite well. She is finally able to drive. Riding will come eventually, but not now.

I am thinking about swapping out her bike's variator, drive face, and weights for NCY while it is inside for the winter. I already have everything except the variator itself.

So your wife is thinking of going back on the bike if she is ok with it. Excellent.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

My wife is now very excited about the prospect of getting back on her bike someday. However, we both are frightened at the prospect of getting out of our subdivision on the bikes. Country riding is great, but getting there from our subdivision will be daunting. The drivers in our vacinity not only do not care that others are around them when they are driving, they also find the cellphone to be more important than the car. Ssooo, driving their car in their lane, following rules for their side of the road are all irrelevant! They play bumper cars out there with real cars! The most expensive car wins...or sometimes it is the biggest, most expensive car. What chance do little scooters have??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

^ Bumper cars huh? Might want to move to a new area of town.

Don't be shy with the horn if you think people don't see you, misjudge your speed or are getting too close.
Glad to hear your lady is recovering.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I just installed one of those Nautilus Air Horns on my wife's bike. I already have one on mine. Now we can wake those sleeping giants up when they move into our lane. I have no idea how those 'tanks' haven't hit more cars than they have, but if we can wake them up before they hit us, I am all for it!

It isn't that hard to install one after every piece of tupperware has been removed, but putting one in the front behind the headlight is tight. Thinking about it now, I have to wonder if it might have been any easier to put it somewhere else. Maddiedog helped me with my first install, so I just followed what we had done on my bike to install one on my wife's bike. Has anyone else put one of those air horns on their bike? Where did you put it?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

That might be a good thread to start up Mel. Show them yours, (:lol:) then ask for their ideas?
Just a thought. I'd be interested too ;)

Oh! And Placed in the PCX forum!
(I just about forgot where we are right now :lol: In the Forza 300 forum).
So what! I get lost once in awhile or twice, thrice......etc. :oops:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:I
WHY?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:My wife is now very excited about the prospect of getting back on her bike someday. However, we both are frightened at the prospect of getting out of our subdivision on the bikes. Country riding is great, but getting there from our subdivision will be daunting. The drivers in our vacinity not only do not care that others are around them when they are driving, they also find the cellphone to be more important than the car. Ssooo, driving their car in their lane, following rules for their side of the road are all irrelevant! They play bumper cars out there with real cars! The most expensive car wins...or sometimes it is the biggest, most expensive car. What chance do little scooters have??
Mel, Glad you are both feeling better.
About your riding area ---
I freq. ride at sunrise, for various reasons, but I find it quite relaxing due to the lack of auto/truck traffic on the roads. People holler about 'deer danger' - but hellsbells, cars kill a lot more scooter/motorcycle riders than do deer in Ohio!
I expect all kinds of SA replies, here, to this post, but if you're needing a better feeling about your leisure scooter riding - I give you this reply.

A dawn ride out of the city into the country - solves 50% of your scary riding.
If good weather and no snow and a day off, I have not slept-in in 2.5 yrs!
Fish