45 mph...or hurricane ?

The tragic place where threads go to die...

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: 45 mph...or hurricane ?

Post by Mel46 »

There are actually states in the United States that do not require the wearing of helmets on motorcycles. I believe the argument was that the government should not have the right to dictate whether you wear one or not. In such states I think those who do not wish to wear a helmet should sign a waiver releasing the insurance of responsibility for paying for treatment for head injuries. If the rider lives, maybe he can figure out how to pay for his right to be an idiot. Everytime I drive through one of those states where there is no helmet law, I see many, many riders not wearing helmets, and I can only shake my head. Just because you don't HAVE to do something, it doesn't mean that it is a good idea to not do it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

zanggerk wrote:Just wondering: in what countries is it allowed to ride without a helmet?
This is a hotly contested "states rights"/"riders rights" issue here in the USA.
South Carolina is one of the states where helmets are optional, once you are older than 21.

However, insurance costs more if you don't wear a helmet, so that helps some. And you can't ride onto the local Army base without one, so that helps some.

Most of the folks who ride with no helmet are moped riders or tough-looking Harley dudes.
And the rest are crazy sportsbike riders, who ride with their helmet decorating their bike
(in case they find a crazy woman who wants to ride with them, maybe?)
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

zanggerk wrote:Just wondering: in what countries is it allowed to ride without a helmet?
I have no idea what it is for other countries, but here in the US, I varies by state. Did a Google search and found this handy map. I could search for other countries...but here

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Motorcycle+helmet+laws+by+country

Don't generally do that, but the results are. Bit of a Mess and I don't have the wherewithal to muddle through them at present.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (183.09 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Mel46 wrote:There are actually states in the United States that do not require the wearing of helmets on motorcycles. I believe the argument was that the government should not have the right to dictate whether you wear one or not. In such states I think those who do not wish to wear a helmet should sign a waiver releasing the insurance of responsibility for paying for treatment for head injuries. If the rider lives, maybe he can figure out how to pay for his right to be an idiot. Everytime I drive through one of those states where there is no helmet law, I see many, many riders not wearing helmets, and I can only shake my head. Just because you don't HAVE to do something, it doesn't mean that it is a good idea to not do it.
Just like a lot of things, due to the unique way the U.S. Constitution is written (and/or interpreted), Americans should have a fair amount of say over their own destiny. Of course, the same states that allow helmets to be left at home require seat belts to be worn in cars...but not school buses...and all manner of car seats for children under 12...but no restraints in buses...because those blinky red lights and stop signs are all powerful you know.

Personally, I believe both seat belts and helmets should be a personal choice for adults. In a society that says we believe in survival of the fittest, what else makes sense? Let the stupid people off themselves through natural selection I say. :D

I'll just keep wearing both a helmet and a seatbelt.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Let the Darwin Award Games begin......
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MikeP wrote:Let the Darwin Award Games begin......

Did he wear a helmet?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I agree partially. Those who do not wear a helmet and have a motorcycle accident are highly likely to die. However, there are a lot of resources expended on them if they have not died immediately, and hospital bills are very high, usually picked up by insurance companies. We pay higher premiums because of those riders AND if they recover what is the chance that they will do the same thing again? As long as their actions affect others, directly or indirectly, we all pay for their stupidity.
As far as seat belts on school buses go, I am not sure why the state can not see the logic of it. Too many school bus accidents have ended with students being thrown around a injuried. But government moves slowly on everything except their salaries. Eventually it will happen.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JonW
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JonW »

Not only does it drive up everyone's insurance rates, it costs all of society when costly severe head injuries exceed insurance coverages and hospitals and doctors or mediicaid and local governments are expected to eat the bill.

If someone makes a stupid choice to not wear a helmet and they get unlucky, they should be on their own. If they cant pay for their medical care then they shouldn't bother seeking it. How's that for personal responsibility...
Jon W
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You might all be being a teenyweeny bit literal/serious?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Why do people in cars have to wear seat belts and those who ride motorcycles don't, Why do bicyclists have to wear a helmet and motorcyclists do not.Just not consistent. Its prudent to wear a helmet but in my opinion should not be mandatory as well as seat belts should not be mandatory. There is a price to pay for liberty and freedom. That's what this country was founded on. Freedom is not free.Freedom is about choice, and less government intervention. Where does it stop..Should the government mandate a fire extinguisher in every room of the house, should they ban alcoholic beverages which is costly to health care and medical costs, should they ban motorcycles becausethey have higher injury rates than cars.. Where does it stop.Freedom is not free and that's the price for liberty and choice.Do you want to be free with choice , be allowed to be stupid, or do you want the government dictating every one of your moves.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Why do people in cars have to wear seat belts and those who ride motorcycles don't, Why do bicyclists have to wear a helmet and motorcyclists do not.Just not consistent. Its prudent to wear a helmet but in my opinion should not be mandatory as well as seat belts should not be mandatory. There is a price to pay for liberty and freedom. That's what this country was founded on. Freedom is not free.Freedom is about choice, and less government intervention. Where does it stop..Should the government mandate a fire extinguisher in every room of the house, should they ban alcoholic beverages which is costly to health care and medical costs, should they ban motorcycles becausethey have higher injury rates than cars.. Where does it stop.Freedom is not free and that's the price for liberty and choice.Do you want to be free with choice , be allowed to be stupid, or do you want the government dictating every one of your moves.

Oh ffs

Step away from the inner Trump
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

This fellow was wearing a helmet. If he walks away, it will only be because he wore one. Notice how the blue car ran the red light. Totally unaware......

http://youtu.be/LfeG-eST-HU
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MikeP wrote:This fellow was wearing a helmet. If he walks away, it will only be because he wore one. Notice how the blue car ran the red light. Totally unaware......

I'm more worried about the red car running the blue light. Which one would you choose?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

MikeP wrote:This fellow was wearing a helmet. If he walks away, it will only be because he wore one. Notice how the blue car ran the red light. Totally unaware......

That one is pretty old. I believe the rider did not survive.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

America, the land where toddlers regularly shoot people.
Gotta love that wunnerfool American freedumb.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... erica.html
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:America, the land where toddlers regularly shoot people.

No need to insult other's homelands. Very uncouth.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:

Insulted?
Seriously?
Did you read the article in the link?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
honkerman wrote:

Insulted?
Seriously?
Did you read the article in the link?
I did. Interestingly enough, the numbers kept changing through the article. hard to take something as a serious article if it doesn't remain consistent.

You insult all Americans with your...slur. Were I to do the same to all Englishmen, would you not be offended?

I will say, while the British often say Americans are arrogant, many certainly do so from a position of experience.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

I do not wish to argue further as I've found in the past that trying to convince another of an opinion is often fruitless. I've said my piece and that is that.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:You insult all Americans with your...slur. Were I to do the same to all Englishmen, would you not be offended?
No, I would be delighted.
Slur away.