45 mph...or hurricane ?

The tragic place where threads go to die...

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

45 mph...or hurricane ?

Post by easyrider »

I have been hitting 45 -50 lately and the wind hitting me is like a hurricane blasting me . I don't have a helmet , and no windshield,(other than stock). What are best ways of handling the wind. I wonder how freeway driving would be with that amount of wind hitting the body. The PCX is a bit light for those speeds I would think. I have a windscreen on order and hope that helps. Any thoughts?? Thanks.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Re: 45 mph...or hurricane ?

Post by JohnL »

Not wearing a helmet will probably solve the problem fairly quickly! :| :|

Seriously asking myself why would anyone ride without a helmet?
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Yes a windscreen will help, especially if it comes up to nose height(so you're looking just over it). That will push most of the blast to the top of your head. Please consider wearing a helmet.
I don't take my PCX on the freeway. IMO it's too light. My old 500LB. Beemer was a bit light around the big semis, too.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

JohnL wrote:why would anyone ride without a helmet?
Because they want to win an award.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I am getting a helmet soon, but mostly riding in the slow zones for now..Would a helmet improve the wind blast alone? just wondering how effective helmets are in high wind situations . I think a taller shield is essential equipment. I even wonder why HONDA installs such a miniature windscreen? What would be a good helmet for wind deflection as well as ground bounce ?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

No helmet is like trying to play Russian Roulette. Your wind problem will be solved soon enough that way.

Otherwise, if the wiind hits you in the chest you can divert it upwards by using a windshield. The taller the windshield, the farther up the wind moves. If it diverts up to your head, you will need a helmet. Even if you don't have wind problems you still need a helmet not only in case of an accident but because a bug flying at 5 mph toward you, hit by you doing 45 mph, is like hitting an object a 50 mph. It hurts! It can also knock you right off of the bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Alock
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Alock »

easyrider wrote:I am getting a helmet soon, but mostly riding in the slow zones for now..Would a helmet improve the wind blast alone? just wondering how effective helmets are in high wind situations . I think a taller shield is essential equipment. I even wonder why HONDA installs such a miniature windscreen? What would be a good helmet for wind deflection as well as ground bounce ?
You can crack your head doing 10MPH. Buy a helmet now. $100.00 is no big deal considering.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:What would be a good helmet for wind deflection as well as ground bounce ?
A good helmet is one which fits you properly and has a good "Sharp" rating.
Here's how to choose a properly fitting helmet:
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/fitting-guide
And an animation:
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/how-fit-your-helmet
And here's the ratings:
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelmetli ... ontinued=1

Ideally you want a pinlock visor fitted or at least available for the helmet you choose.
These stop the visor fogging up.
Price is no guarantee of a good helmet, many expensive ones have fairly poor ratings and some very cheap ones have excellent ratings.

You need to do some research then go to some shops and try a few on then research some more.
It is absolutely impossible to get a properly fitting helmet without trying it on first.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I hate to get on the helmet bandwagon, but with my recent crash, my head smacked off the ground pretty hard. If not for my helmet, I'd have a cracked skull right now, and might not be around to enjoy my broken collarbone and bruised ribs. Kinda a good news/bad news thing.

When you get a helmet, get one that fits well and wear earplugs to reduce the noise.

As others have said, get a taller windscreen than the stock one. It will also make a difference.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Yup, one definitely feels the wind on a PCX. I had to add a wind jacket over my riding jacket.

Everyone has their own preferences, but I like a comfortable helmet with a good shield.
It cuts the wind and keeps bugs and gravel from hitting my face at 45 mph.
pcx150man
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by pcx150man »

I just removed my top box for the first time the other day, just to see what it would be like.

It was quite windy and it made a huge difference to speed, feel and general handling, in fact in felt lighter to ride somehow.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

pcx150man wrote:I just removed my top box for the first time the other day, just to see what it would be like.

It was quite windy and it made a huge difference to speed, feel and general handling, in fact in felt lighter to ride somehow.
That's interesting
What size top box, and do you ride with it loaded?

I don't remember much difference when I added my GIVI 36 liter, but I ride with it empty.
I use it mainly for storing my helmet (mentioned above) when I'm parked.

...But I rode a much heavier scooter before, so I might not have noticed the difference.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:I have been hitting 45 -50 lately and the wind hitting me is like a hurricane blasting me . I don't have a helmet , and no windshield,(other than stock). What are best ways of handling the wind. I wonder how freeway driving would be with that amount of wind hitting the body. The PCX is a bit light for those speeds I would think. I have a windscreen on order and hope that helps. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

If you travel slower than 45-50 then the wind hitting you will seem less. For example if you travel at 20 the wind will feel like a 20 mph wind.

There's really no need for you to wear a helmet.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

easyrider wrote:I am getting a helmet soon, but mostly riding in the slow zones for now..Would a helmet improve the wind blast alone? just wondering how effective helmets are in high wind situations . I think a taller shield is essential equipment. I even wonder why HONDA installs such a miniature windscreen? What would be a good helmet for wind deflection as well as ground bounce ?
You'll see some reduction in wind noise with a 3/4 or full face helmet. Earplugs will help too. In case it's not obvious, a brain bucket (1/2 helmet) won't make any positive difference in wind noise.

Just know, even if you're in "slow zones" a fall with a blow to the head can still cause grave injury. As I've said, I was spared such in a low speed crash (25-30 mph) by wearing a helmet.
Last edited by honkerman on Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
There's really no need for you to wear a helmet.
Don't make me raise my eyebrows at you because I will! I mean it!
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

DailyRider wrote:
pcx150man wrote:I just removed my top box for the first time the other day, just to see what it would be like. It was quite windy and it made a huge difference to speed, feel and general handling, in fact in felt lighter to ride somehow.
That's interesting What size top box, and do you ride with it loaded? I don't remember much difference when I added my GIVI 36 liter, but I ride with it empty. I use it mainly for storing my helmet (mentioned above) when I'm parked. ...But I rode a much heavier scooter before, so I might not have noticed the difference.
I found taking the box off helped. I had the stock windshield on, so was pretty much taking the full hit if the air deflection. When I took the box off and sat upright, there was about a 1-2 km/h gain. When I crouched as low as I could get, it was a 4-5 km/h difference. I am assuming that while sitting upright with the box on, there was still some air wrapping around me and catching the box. I believe my box is 36 liters. It is a GIVI.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

kramnala58 wrote:
DailyRider wrote:
pcx150man wrote:I just removed my top box for the first time the other day, just to see what it would be like. It was quite windy and it made a huge difference to speed, feel and general handling, in fact in felt lighter to ride somehow.
That's interesting What size top box, and do you ride with it loaded? I don't remember much difference when I added my GIVI 36 liter, but I ride with it empty. I use it mainly for storing my helmet (mentioned above) when I'm parked. ...But I rode a much heavier scooter before, so I might not have noticed the difference.
I found taking the box off helped. I had the stock windshield on, so was pretty much taking the full hit if the air deflection. When I took the box off and sat upright, there was about a 1-2 km/h gain. When I crouched as low as I could get, it was a 4-5 km/h difference. I am assuming that while sitting upright with the box on, there was still some air wrapping around me and catching the box. I believe my box is 36 liters. It is a GIVI.
Ahah! I certainly do see a big difference when I'm riding fast and crouch down.

And the bike does respond more slowly to tilting and flicking with the top box on. But I prefer that at lower speed.
I suppose that's why they make it so easy to remove the top boxes.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Our scooter accident was at 45 mph. The helmets sustained quite a hit, plus we slid for a ways. I rolled for about 40 yards on asphalt. Without the kevlar jacket with pads And my helmet I would not have been able to walk away. My wife had her helmet on but no jacket and she broke her shoulder in 4 places. Her helmet sustained enough damage that is obvious that I was glad she had it on. If you believe that a helmet is not necessary, you are fooling yourself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Our scooter accident was at 45 mph. The helmets sustained quite a hit, plus we slid for a ways. I rolled for about 40 yards on asphalt. Without the kevlar jacket with pads And my helmet I would not have been able to walk away. My wife had her helmet on but no jacket and she broke her shoulder in 4 places. Her helmet sustained enough damage that is obvious that I was glad she had it on. If you believe that a helmet is not necessary, you are fooling yourself.

I never ride without one. What's your point?
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Post by zanggerk »

Just wondering: in what countries is it allowed to ride without a helmet?