Taking your test. Or not.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Fran
Year: 2014
Color: White

Taking your test. Or not.

Post by Fran »

I'm pre-whatever the year was when they changed something in the UK, whatever that was, full car licence, so riding on a CBT for the next 18 months. I mainly just commute a few miles apart from a rare trip darn sarf to visit the old folks (planned, not actually done yet). No need to ride motorways or carry a pillion. No real need to get a bigger bike. I have to decide whether to just to the CBT every 2 years until I retire/get sacked/fall off in front of a lorry, or do one of the three tests. The tests of course cost quite a bit, with the training, and as my eyesight is borderline OK I also worry a bit about the bit where you have to navigate by yourself. Also I'm shit at U-turns and have no sense of balance. I dunno wot to do. Any advice or opinions?

If I did do a 'proper' test of course, I would have to learn on a much bigger bike with gears, which sounds like a lot to take on.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Re: Taking your test. Or not.

Post by DailyRider »

Your system is different over there. Is a CBT like a learner's permit?
Some folks over here ride on a learner's permit forever.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

You can take the A1 tests on your bike with no need to pay for a training course on top - you need to pass the theory test (£25) off-road test (£15) and on-road test (£85). The theory test and off-road last for some time so if you fail the on-road you can sit that again. My CBT cost is £79 inc bike and gear hire (has not changed in price for years) but I need to consider myself do I pass a proper test to get rid of the L plates - I do not need a bigger bike or to ride on a motorway (not yet anyway).

You can practice the theory test on-line (most is common sense but there are a few really wierd things such as for fire or resussication).
chigman

Post by chigman »

Do it and get rid of the plates of shame. :D Do the A1 light as Iceman has suggested with no geared bikes involved. Thats what I did, but I needed to do it so's I can carry the Mrs on the back when we are on our travels. The pcx goes in the back of our motorhome.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Fran wrote:I'm pre-whatever the year was when they changed something in the UK, whatever that was, full car licence, so riding on a CBT for the next 18 months. I mainly just commute a few miles apart from a rare trip darn sarf to visit the old folks (planned, not actually done yet). No need to ride motorways or carry a pillion. No real need to get a bigger bike. I have to decide whether to just to the CBT every 2 years until I retire/get sacked/fall off in front of a lorry, or do one of the three tests. The tests of course cost quite a bit, with the training, and as my eyesight is borderline OK I also worry a bit about the bit where you have to navigate by yourself. Also I'm shit at U-turns and have no sense of balance. I dunno wot to do. Any advice or opinions?

If I did do a 'proper' test of course, I would have to learn on a much bigger bike with gears, which sounds like a lot to take on.
I'd book a lesson with a local school and see what they think about the bits you're concerned about (u turns being the main one). Use one of their geared 125s. They really are easy to operate. And when you try the bigger bikes you'll find that once you've got the handle of the throttle they're much more stable than a 125.

I was in your boat 18 months ago. Hated L plates and would have been more convenient if I could have done a short stretch of motorway on my Vision 110. So I decided to take the test. Then came the question of which level test to take - 3 levels, all the same test but on different bikes. Decided if I was going to do it I'd rather just do it once, so did the full test. I'm glad I did as just after I passed work moved me and my new commute included 15 miles of motorway. I had a 650 Kawasaki Versys for a while before calming down to my 300 Forza.

So if I were you I'd just go the whole hog. It opens up much more for you in terms of what and where you can ride. You don't have to do it all in one go so you can spread the cost.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I am in a similar situation. I only use my PCX for commuting 7 miles to work and back so haven't bothered to get a full licence. The L plates don't bother me, But doing a cbt every 2 years is the downside. The good thing about it is at least your getting a refresher every 2 years that really doesn't do any harm at all.

I have done my theory test last month and hopefully plan to do a direct access next year, but it's only because I fancy getting an old classic and unless you want a bantam it restricts what I could get. I'll probably keep the scooter if I pass my test.

Don't listen to the "get your full test " lot. Do what suits you the best. Once you get the hang of it you'll be fine and you might want something bigger later or circumstances change just play it by ear.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:I am in a similar situation. I only use my PCX for commuting 7 miles to work and back so haven't bothered to get a full licence. The L plates don't bother me, But doing a cbt every 2 years is the downside. The good thing about it is at least your getting a refresher every 2 years that really doesn't do any harm at all.

I have done my theory test last month and hopefully plan to do a direct access next year, but it's only because I fancy getting an old classic and unless you want a bantam it restricts what I could get. I'll probably keep the scooter if I pass my test.

Don't listen to the "get your full test " lot. Do what suits you the best. Once you get the hang of it you'll be fine and you might want something bigger later or circumstances change just play it by ear.

Only a 125 bantam?
Fran

Post by Fran »

DailyRider wrote:Your system is different over there. Is a CBT like a learner's permit?
Yeah, it's quite complicated, I don't even know all the rules myself. I passed my car test a long time ago, so I can ride a 125 if I do the CBT, which is not a test but is a day's training. It lasts 2 years and then I have to do it again, or do one of the 3 test options open to me. Riding on a CBT is a L-plate job, so no motorway or pillion.

Thanks for the opinions and advice, plenty of food for thought in the above posts. I guess it's a toss up between the A1 or A2 for me. I should do some kinda test I reckon, but I'm never gonna ride anything bigger than A2 and probably not the A1realistically, as I retire in 8 years, have dodgy eyesight, dodgy shoulders, no sense of balance, have no money, and (much to everyone's relief) only travel short distances.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Fran wrote:
DailyRider wrote:Your system is different over there. Is a CBT like a learner's permit?
Yeah, it's quite complicated, I don't even know all the rules myself. I passed my car test a long time ago, so I can ride a 125 if I do the CBT, which is not a test but is a day's training. It lasts 2 years and then I have to do it again, or do one of the 3 test options open to me. Riding on a CBT is a L-plate job, so no motorway or pillion.

Thanks for the opinions and advice, plenty of food for thought in the above posts. I guess it's a toss up between the A1 or A2 for me. I should do some kinda test I reckon, but I'm never gonna ride anything bigger than A2 and probably not the A1realistically, as I retire in 8 years, have dodgy eyesight, dodgy shoulders, no sense of balance, have no money, and (much to everyone's relief) only travel short distances.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Mister Paul wrote:
Fran wrote:

Stabilisers! Now that is what I call rock and roll! What the heck is that?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I believe that may be an MP3 (or it's very similar) - you can ride the larger CC version on a car licence, but not the lower CC due apparently to the distance between the wheels and whether it's classes as a bike or not. You can ride it on motorways. Some centres have larger CC scooters so you can take the A2 on an automatic - MCT London have a 500cc scooter.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its a Piaggio MP3, one of a number of three wheel tilting trikes.
They range in size from 125 to 500cc
If you passed your car driving test before 19/01/2013 you can ride the LT (large track) models on your car licence with no further testing or L-plates.
And with a pillion on the motorway.
The LT models are wider between the front wheels and are not classed as motorcycles.
There's the
Piaggio MP3 (multiple models)
Peugeot Metropolis 400
Gilera Fuoco 500
Quadro 3D 350
Quadro 4D 350
Aeon 3D-350
Yamaha Tricity 125

Here's a video of the rather odd Quadro 4d doing its stuff, you would have to try really hard to fall off one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2OJa-vWEaE
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

There are no stabilisers, although that picture is misleading - it has two front wheels so is good to ride in bad weather as you cannot fall over like you can on a two wheel bike (as GN2 stated it's hard to fall).

There are two parked in the basement car park at my workplace. I would feel a bit silly on one, but if I had to do a lot of motorway riding and wanted something with power that I could ride on my car licence, and know it's less likely to tip over on corners than a 2-wheel bike and be better in bad weather, I would consider one. They cost about £9000+, or at least the high CC MP3 does.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

An MP3 can't be crashed you say?

While you get that extra bit of stability from having two front wheels, there are inherent problems from having three tire tracks instead of one.

And a tilt system that takes getting used to when doing simple things:

2015 Honda CB300F ABS
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:They cost about £9000+, or at least the high CC MP3 does.
Not quite as expensive as that, the top of the range 500cc Piaggio is £7735, the 300cc Yourban LT is around £6000
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

dkazzed wrote:An MP3 can't be crashed you say?

While you get that extra bit of stability from having two front wheels, there are inherent problems from having three tire tracks instead of one.

And a tilt system that takes getting used to when doing simple things:

O
They were all rider error. First rider leaning into a bend rode from tarmac onto a wet wooden bridge. Second was an inexperienced rider on a bike too big for him/her at that stage of competence. Third didn't check the tilt lock.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

After seeing those I am put off of considering one instead of a 2-wheeler - they don't seem as stable as I thought and weigh a fair amount. Although user error may have been involved, it's still bad they toppled as they did - the 2 wheels is supposed to help stability but it seems it does little.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

iceman wrote:After seeing those I am put off of considering one instead of a 2-wheeler - they don't seem as stable as I thought and weigh a fair amount. Although user error may have been involved, it's still bad they toppled as they did - the 2 wheels is supposed to help stability but it seems it does little.
One slid on wet wood, one was dropped because the rider didn't get his/her foot down properly, and one fell over because the rider didn't check the lock.

The MP3s have a button which locks the tilt mechanism in the upright position. So they are more stable than two-wheelers both when parked up and when riding.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

If you have short legs (like me) those MP3s are actually very easy to drop,
because it's not really practical to lock the wheels every time one stops
and to reach the ground, that puts a bit too much of a lean on quite a heavy beast.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Interesting that you can ride one on a car license, but I don't like the way they look. If I was gonna have an extra wheel it would have to be on the back like this Honda. More rock and roll.
Attachments
Honda cb750 trike 2.JPG
Honda cb750 trike 2.JPG (202.4 KiB) Viewed 4521 times