600 Mile Trip- To do or not?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

600 Mile Trip- To do or not?

Post by outlander »

I really want to bring my pcx150 to my current location from my home. It is 600 miles away, via normal roads it is 12.5 hrs away, I will have a total of 16 hours to complete the trip. Not sure if it is worth doing. I'm working away for 4 more months and don't want to put the miles on my mustang.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: 600 Mile Trip- To do or not?

Post by Oyabun »

I'd definitely say. Hell yeah.
Dunno about weather at you though. I can imagine crossing some mountain passes on a PCX could be quite a challenge if you'd have to go that way. I know that we've done Budapest - Istria (which is a similar distance) on secondary roads with bikes many times. Quite a few mountain roads on the way which would be challenging on 150 scooter but otherwise completely fine cruising at 90kmph or 55mph. It should be done with two fuel ups.
Go for it.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Aren't you guys getting snow the next few days?
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

?? 300 miles per gallon? You must have done some serious tuning to your PCX! I would expect needing five fill ups, at least with a '13 vintage.

Seems like a long ride if you are constrained to a 16 hour window. I would probably do it if it meant that I would have the use of my scoot for four months, though.

No possibility of convincing a friend with a pickup to come visit? It might be worth the hassle of finding/procuring ramps or a hitch carrier.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Ben2talk
Color: Grey/black

Post by Ben2talk »

I think he's thinking Km there... over 300km per tank, not 300 miles. That equates to about 3 tanks in miles I think.

Still ridiculous - anything over 40km per litre is just gravy.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/bennn/389324]
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Have you thought about renting a U-Haul cube van or something like that and hauling it one way? If you are gone for 4 months, is the 600 mile (1,200 return) trip that great. That averages to 400 per month which isn't bad.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

GeorgeSK wrote:?? 300 miles per gallon? You must have done some serious tuning to your PCX! I would expect needing five fill ups, at least with a '13 vintage.
It is 300 km's per tank. The 15 model has an increased fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons for those thinking imperial measures.
Assuming he's prepared and starts with a full tank that gets him to two fuel ups on the way. All together 3 tanks steady 55mph cruising with economy of roughly 100mpg.

Frankly it is irrelevant how much the scoot will consume, but more about optimising number of stops in order to stay within the given time window.

Apparently other means of transportation is a lot more logical, but where's the fun in that? Where is the story he will tell to his grandchildren? ;-)

I suggest you guys to check the ironbutt challenge.
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

Do it keeping the throttle to 3/4 or a speed of 80-90 kms/h.

Everything can travel anywhere IMO just respect the limits of the bike and yourself you will get tired so stop when you feel so and rest.

Wish you to live agreat adventure, i Know riders who travel the world on an old vespa so why not?
Take a look here : https://worldvespa.wordpress.com/atw-2013/
HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I've done the long distance trip by scooter many times. I allow myself twice the travel time that I would in a car and take almost entirely secondary roads. Like Ontwowheels said, you have to operate within the limits of the machine and the limits of your own endurance. I prefer not to do more than 300 miles in a day, and 350 is the outside max of what I'll do.

Can't really stress enough that highways are best avoided on anything below 250cc. It's too much stress on the engine, and too much stress on the rider. The PCX will do 65+ in a pinch, but it's not meant to do it for an extended period of time.

Anyway, since you only have 16 hrs to do a trip that normally takes you 12ish, you're probably going to need to trailer it.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I've done 600 mile journeys in a day but only ever on 750+cc bikes.
16 hours just isn't enough time for the journey on a PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and I did 350 miles in a single day using only secondary roads. The trip did not affect the bikes in any way. We operated in the 55 mph range most of the time, but did hit freeways some, wot. Both bikes are 2013 models and had no problems. Word of advice though. Carry extra gas. We were sweating it when we reached. 256 miles on a single tank. It should have been empty long before that. We had a good tail wind. At the end of the trip we were exhausted though. The pcx is a great scooter, but my Burgmanusa.com 400 was much much more comfortable and could have done the trip easily. Still, I hope to do that same trip again someday. We touched 5 states that day, just for the fun of it.

Watch the weather though. The pcx is not a good bike for snow or thunderstorms and high winds.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Mel46 wrote:Watch the weather though. The pcx is not a good bike for snow or thunderstorms and high winds.
Are there any bikes that would be good for those conditions? :-)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

None. Handle snow, but bigger bikes can handle rain and winds much better than the pcx. I was caught in a storm on my Burgman. My wife had her pcx. We found shelter because she was having problems holding the bike on the road. I wasn't aware of her problem because my Burgmanusa.com was handling it quite well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Mel46 wrote:None. Handle snow, but bigger bikes can handle rain and winds much better than the pcx. I was caught in a storm on my Burgman. My wife had her pcx. We found shelter because she was having problems holding the bike on the road. I wasn't aware of her problem because my Burgmanusa.com was handling it quite well.
A dual sport can do snow, but you have to take it slow. I've done snow riding on my Kymco, but that had tires with chunky tread, not quite knobbies, but good enough to make snow riding more like gravel riding. Still, it's a hair raising experience.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

It's possible with special spike tyres and if you know how to fall :lol: :

HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

2015 Honda CB300F ABS
St.Clair
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black & Red

Post by St.Clair »

One of those times where you shouldn't ask and just do. Tell us how it went and plan some nice stops to give the engine a break and take In some sites. You can do whatever you set out to....am sure the ride is up to it. Good luck on the journey.
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.
Nikola Tesla