Which Honda cover is best for PCX?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Which Honda cover is best for PCX?

Post by GatorGreg »

I'm getting ready to order a scooter cover for my PCX from Honda and I noticed that on Honda USA's website they have 2 different part numbers and prices for the PCX depending on which model year you're in when you hit the accessories button:

2016 has part # 0SP34-MFE-301 and is priced at $109.95
2015 has part # 08P34-MFE-200 and is priced at $107.95

My PCX is 2015 so I'm inclined to get the one they specify for 2015 but I'm wondering if the one specified for 2016 is "new and improved" in some way in which case I'd be happy to spend the extra 2 bucks.

Also, I noticed that the 2015 PCX cover's part # and price is the exact same as the one Honda shows for the Silverwing - so I'm wondering if perhaps the 2016 might be a newer design that is more custom fitted to the PCX's proportions???

Does anyone have either of these covers? My intended use is to just cover my PCX at work where it is subject to Florida sun, rain, leaves and bird shit :D Scooter is garaged overnight. Thanks for any help!
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Re: Which Honda cover is best for PCX?

Post by iceman »

Much cheaper and better quality ones out there - those prices are scandalous. My £11 cover has lasted two years but is no use if you want to use a backbox, otherwise it fits perfectly and stops most of the water getting to the bike (even 2 years on).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-937-Uni ... B0016622V2
If you want to use a back box then there are other covers out there for a 1/3 of the price of the Honda ones. Surprised the new one is slightly more expensive considering the indicators no longer stick out so less material needed, not that it costs any more or less for the few inches we are talking about.
Last edited by iceman on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Live a little, blow your two bucks.

And never look back...
Alock

Post by Alock »

I've been using this Empire Cover for years. Outstanding value. Holds-up for 4+ years leaving it outside in the New England Winters. Waterproof & fits my PCX with a Shad SH39 Top Case.

http://www.empirecovers.com/detail.aspx ... rce=search

Free Shipping Code use BTR2014

PS: I ordered Large EMPSCW3 part #
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Alock wrote:I've been using this Empire Cover for years. Outstanding value. Holds-up for 4+ years leaving it outside in the New England Winters. Waterproof & fits my PCX with a Shad SH39 Top Case.

http://www.empirecovers.com/detail.aspx ... rce=search

Free Shipping Code use BTR2014

PS: I ordered Large EMPSCW3 part #
Thanks Alock! Do you have any pics? I didn't see any on that site. Did you get the S, M, or L? For 33 bucks I think I might give that a shot.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Oops I see you ordered a large, thanks.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

iceman wrote:Much cheaper and better quality ones out there - those prices are scandalous. My £11 cover has lasted two years but is no use if you want to use a backbox, otherwise it fits perfectly and stops most of the water getting to the bike (even 2 years on).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-937-Uni ... B0016622V2
If you want to use a back box then there are other covers out there for a 1/3 of the price of the Honda ones. Surprised the new one is slightly more expensive considering the indicators no longer stick out so less material needed, not that it costs any more or less for the few inches we are talking about.
Thanks Iceman, unfortunately their website says they can't deliver to the U.S.
Alock

Post by Alock »

Gator Greg: Did you order the Empire cover that I suggested? if so, your thoughts? I think it's a steal for what you get overall. Plus it comes with a 3-year warranty.
Ben2talk
Color: Grey/black

Post by Ben2talk »

Just be careful. I used a cover for a week, but now I park inside... the main worry is the cover rubbing the paintwork... especially if there's any dirt on the paint and any wind where you're standing.

Secondly, if your bike is warm and/or wet the cover will keep moisture inside and help bits to rust faster. You're actually supposed to give the bike an hour or so to cool down before putting the cover on, what a PITA!

My plan was to actually set up 4 tent pegs in the parking area outside so I could attach bungees rather than let the cover stick to the bike, I'd stretch it like a tent from the mirrors and put a cloth over the back rail to stop it rubbing the paint there. That way it was okay to park under trees and not worry about sap or birds. That'd work better with a GIVI box...

When I went to visit family in rainy season, I just found some bricks and did the same thing. Depending on where you're using the cover... certainly it's not convenient to take the cover with you. I hung mine over a bough of the tree (things don't get stolen here) when i went out.

An alternative might be to think about just building a small frame with plastic water pipe and getting a nice tarpaulin cover - then just wheel the bike in and out (I did that in England with my old 550 four).

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/bennn/389324]
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

You can get lots of covers with lining - even my £11 one has soft lining inside and has lasted for almost 2 years now (I use it everyday when the PCX is parked at home, rain, sun or whatever day of the year) even when the bike is wet and hot).
I took the bottom fasteners off as the hooks can scratch things and as I have it parked behind a car, the wind has not toppled the bike yet.
Yes, it's been said to let the bike cool down and not put a cover on when wet, but my bike has not rusted in any way, just the usual grime from the awful dirty roads we have - esp. in winter times. I figure the hot exhaust will evaporate the rain from it long before that water will cause damage, and if it cooled down and I had no cover on then cold rain would make things worse. If the bike is made to cope with rain and awful weather, then having a bit of water trapped under the cover should be no worse than having no cover and the bike constantly poured on for many hours.
Alock

Post by Alock »

Ben2talk wrote:Just be careful. I used a cover for a week, but now I park inside... the main worry is the cover rubbing the paintwork... especially if there's any dirt on the paint and any wind where you're standing.

Secondly, if your bike is warm and/or wet the cover will keep moisture inside and help bits to rust faster. You're actually supposed to give the bike an hour or so to cool down before putting the cover on, what a PITA!

My plan was to actually set up 4 tent pegs in the parking area outside so I could attach bungees rather than let the cover stick to the bike, I'd stretch it like a tent from the mirrors and put a cloth over the back rail to stop it rubbing the paint there. That way it was okay to park under trees and not worry about sap or birds. That'd work better with a GIVI box...

When I went to visit family in rainy season, I just found some bricks and did the same thing. Depending on where you're using the cover... certainly it's not convenient to take the cover with you. I hung mine over a bough of the tree (things don't get stolen here) when i went out.

An alternative might be to think about just building a small frame with plastic water pipe and getting a nice tarpaulin cover - then just wheel the bike in and out (I did that in England with my old 550 four).
Ben: I live in Gloucester, MA. & our home is a block from the ocean. Covers don't create more rust (Trust me I know) as our air is so salty here. Yes...You need to wait about 30 minutes before you put a cover on after riding. That's no big deal. We don't have a garage, so a cover is the best option. Covers are meant to protect from the rain & snow. This Empire cover does a great job @ it for short coin.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Why wait? Especially if it hasn't rained. The exhaust has a cover on it and that does not get too hot even in summer. My cover goes straight on and has not suffered any issues.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Hi Ben
I have a lot of prior experience with covers.
Ben2talk wrote:Just be careful. I used a cover for a week, but now I park inside... the main worry is the cover rubbing the paintwork... especially if there's any dirt on the paint and any wind where you're standing.
The real danger to the paint happens when the covered scooter falls over in the wind.
Secondly, if your bike is warm and/or wet the cover will keep moisture inside and help bits to rust faster.
The more likely problem with moisture is that if you leave the scooter sitting covered during spells of inclement weather, moisture condenses on the covered metal parts and the parts rust until you take the cover off, so they can dry out.
I've considered a product like this that I saw for sale, but it was mainly targeted toward Harley riders, so I gave it a pass.

Happy scootering!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I put the cover on soon as I stop and it's never suffered from the hot parts - the exhaust is covered and not too bad to touch the plastic bit so the cover should be fine.
Bidlack78
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Bidlack78 »

I just ordered one from empire free shipping code was already logged in. I paid with PayPal & everything went thru. Guess they do ship to the US. I'll find out later. Free shipping.
Alock

Post by Alock »

Happy Holidays to everyone! I received an e-mail from Empire covers yesterday. 45% off in the USA & free shipping. Pretty good deal for $30.00 Use coupon code EMPMERRY I just bought a 2nd one for back-up.

http://www.empirecovers.com/scooter_covers.aspx