re: changing coolant in 2013 PCX 150

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

re: changing coolant in 2013 PCX 150

Post by flyingzonker »

I have read the service manual to try to get a picture of what I have to do, in the way of stripping down my machine, in order to drain the old and pour in the new radiator coolant. As far as I can tell I've got to remove a lot of plastic before I can get to the engine drain plug: 1) body cover 2)center cover 3) grab rail 4)luggage box. I will also have to remove the top box I have installed, and the grid that supports it--otherwise I can't remove the grab bar. Of course removing the radiator cover goes without need of mention. (In case anybody hasn't noticed it, this picture is not a pretty one. It is trying to scare the shit out of me and, so far, it is doing a really good job of it.)

Anyway, this is what I have gathered so far. Can someone confirm this--I mean, someone who has actually changed his own coolant--there must be some hardy soul out there who fits this description.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: re: changing coolant in 2013 PCX 150

Post by WhiteNoise »

With use of the "search" button above, I found this info for you: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... nt&start=0

Now, I have a request: Would you us all a favor flyingzonker and enter your location And bike information to your profile? It just makes things so much easier in helping one another. I have simple directions below to get that done.

Thanks and good luck, you'll do just fine ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Yes, I will enter the information requested. I will also check the link you provided and thanks for that.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

I checked the link as well as several others. I still could not find what I want to know--do I have to strip down my machine to the extent indicated in the first post in this thread? I know where the radiator drain plug is, but in order to get to the drain plug on the cylinder, I guess I will need to do some real digging. Has anyone changed their coolant in this manner--whcih seems to be what the manual wants done. There is no other way to the drain plug located on the engine cylinder. No? I guess people here who have changed their coolant simply bypass the step that involves the engine drain plug. They go straight to the radiator and...Bob's your uncle!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Unless there is something wrong and you are doing a complete rebuild, there is no need to pull the engine drain plug. Just drain and fill the resevoir or top it off.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
proteinsdef
Color: Black

Post by proteinsdef »

I have the PCX 125 and am needing to change the coolant also. Do I just do the same?. Do I top up the coolant direct into the radiator or the reserve under the seat? How much do I put in?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

flyingzonker wrote:Yes, I will enter the information requested. I will also check the link you provided and thanks for that.
:| Sorry the link I offered didn't answer your question. Others here said it's simple to change the coolant out. But wait a bit, you may get more replies :)

BTW, Thanks for filling in most of your profile. But why not your location? :roll: Are we to guess you're in the U.S.?

To anyone reading here with their profiles incomplete/void of info., Please read this "sticky" thread (backed by our forum owner, maddiedog): http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2540

I hate nagging about this all the time. I feel like I'm reciting over and over...."take the garbage out!"
:D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Yes, I will locate myself. Thanks.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

I removed the two lower radiator cover bolts and loosened the upper bolt (behind the right folding foot-peg) enough to pivot the cover far enough to open and close the drain plug when I changed the coolant. No body-panel removal at all.
To get at the block plug, put the 1/4 drive socket on a 1/4 drive extension and use a mirror. Don't take apart more than you need to. The job goes easy.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Too late. I have the damn thing looking as naked as a Ruckus. Just as well...I am not good with mirrors in the context of finding bolts that are hidden behind scooter covers and fairings.

God knows how I'm going to get it all back together again. I will have to rename my machine. I used to call it Cindy. Now I will have to call it--you guessed it--Humpty.