Deer Whistles

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Deer Whistles

Post by homie »

Do they actually work on motorbikes or are they drowned out by engine noise anyway.

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Deer Whistles

Post by kramnala58 »

Why would you put a whistling deer on your motor ... and then again, why would you put a deer that wasn't whistling on your motorbike? :o :lol: :roll:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

kramnala58 wrote:Why would you put a whistling deer on your motor ... and then again, why would you put a deer that wasn't whistling on your motorbike? :o :lol: :roll:
He's got a good point homie - just be nice and give 'em a ride :D

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

I had them on my beemer. I saw deer, but none ever ran out in front of me. Musta been the whistles. Whatever sound they make/made was inaudible to me.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

There are plenty deer around me and this preserve I live by, I think they concern me more than texting motorist. Is it just me or don't you guys ride with more confidence that you can see everyone at night... well except for deer.

This isn't very graphic and the rider never went down, the comments are interesting and kind of comical. Regular guys being... regular 8)

Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Wow - that was crazy.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Must be the wind rushing through their antlers that causes the whistling. :D :D
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

If you think deer are bad, you have never encountered a goat! Oew there's a motorbike coming, oew look at that blade of grass on the other-side of the road I think I'll run over there and eat it!

As human can't here them, if you want two deer whistles on your bike, go for it. No need to ask.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

JohnL wrote:Must be the wind rushing through their antlers that causes the whistling. :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

I used to drive professionally (highway bus/coach). One of the tricks of the trade I learned from an long-time driver is that when you see deer (antelope, moose, elk - we had lots in Canada), don't let off or increase the accelerator. Keep the pitch of the engine the same as a sudden change in sound can spook them.

Another trick to the trade I learned that if a deer is crossing the road when you encounter it, is that it is likely to turn back to where it came from because it was safe back there. Even if it has already crossed your path, if it feels endangered, it may likely turn around and enter your path again. Just because it looks like it has moved out of your path, don't relax, it may turn back.

Regarding deer whistles, one theory is that they have been around long enough, that the deer are familiar with them and take no notice. This seems to be evident when you drive by deer in a vehicle with deer whistles on it and the deer don't move one way or the other, they just continue doing what they were doing. I tried deer whistles when they first came out in the late 80's and I didn't notice any marked difference in their behavior.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

kramnala58 wrote:I used to drive professionally (highway bus/coach). One of the tricks of the trade I learned from an long-time driver is that when you see deer (antelope, moose, elk - we had lots in Canada), don't let off or increase the accelerator. Keep the pitch of the engine the same as a sudden change in sound can spook them.

Another trick to the trade I learned that if a deer is crossing the road when you encounter it, is that it is likely to turn back to where it came from because it was safe back there. Even if it has already crossed your path, if it feels endangered, it may likely turn around and enter your path again. Just because it looks like it has moved out of your path, don't relax, it may turn back.

Regarding deer whistles, one theory is that they have been around long enough, that the deer are familiar with them and take no notice. This seems to be evident when you drive by deer in a vehicle with deer whistles on it and the deer don't move one way or the other, they just continue doing what they were doing. I tried deer whistles when they first came out in the late 80's and I didn't notice any marked difference in their behavior.
Kramer THAT WAS HELPFUL!
I'm going to read it again... and no! no whistles on my bikes. Rather I spent the day wiring up Halo's so the human animal can see me coming ;) almost got this lighting up to PCX standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUufE2qeiLk
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I live in rural Ohio. Bazillion deer around here. I see many sheriff deputy cars at the county garage for repairs from massive deer strikes. All have deer whistles on them.
Seems to make no noticeable difference to the deer. Drive fast at night on country roads and you will hit them, apparently, whistle or no. I recommend yodeling over a loudspeaker.
Fun and gets lots of attention from all kinds of mammals.....and I've yet to hit a Swiss goat or a Nun or a chocolate bar.
Fish
RusticCharm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by RusticCharm »

Go to thevog.net "Deer Whistles: Do they really work?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie!! Dang, that hit caught me offguard! Bam! Smack and it was over!
Totally amazing that the rider held fast and his bike stayed upright. That vid is a definite wake up call. Be ever so careful in deerland folks.

Whistles? Drill a hole in yer fairing(s) that'll do it but it will go unheard Mr. homie Rumbles.
:? Must you ride those deer roads at night? Can't you wait for sunrise? Maybe plan rides differently?
Scary shite there :|
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Why does the first video have the caption "I guess they work"? Statistically, deer whistles make no difference.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:homie!! Dang, that hit caught me offguard! Bam! Smack and it was over!
Totally amazing that the rider held fast and his bike stayed upright. That vid is a definite wake up call. Be ever so careful in deerland folks.

Whistles? Drill a hole in yer fairing(s) that'll do it but it will go unheard Mr. homie Rumbles.
:? Must you ride those deer roads at night? Can't you wait for sunrise? Maybe plan rides differently?

No eye deer
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I hit a kangaroo in my car last year, not a lot of fun. The roo hopped off and I limped off with two grands worth of damage to the car. Lucky no injury to my wife or myself. It could have been worse, but the roo actually hopped into the side of the car.

Most roo strikes in Oz happen at twilight when they come out to graze.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

JohnL wrote:Most roo strikes in Oz happen at twilight when they come out to graze.
I'm glad you people keep those down there, it seems amazing that Kangaroos haven't been transplanted somewhere. I wouldn't want the "roo" added to urban commuter traffic.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Must you ride those deer roads at night? Can't you wait for sunrise? Maybe plan rides differently?
Motorcycles are not just toys in most of the world. They are very cost effective personal transportation. Night happens.
One thing that can make you much safer is following something. Following a car or truck at 2.5 seconds is much safer than leading out alone. Anything bad that would run out in the road, will happen to them.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I like following people at night. Especially semis in whiteout blizzard or fog conditions.

If that's not an option, adjust your pace and drive/ride slower.

One well known and loved motorcyclist from Vancouver passed away earlier this year after colliding with a crossing deer in Wisconsin in broad daylight. It can happen anytime.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS