Took my first spill

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Took my first spill

Post by Branyers14 »

Last night on my way home from work I underestimated my slowing time and entered a curve too quickly. Went straight off the road and landed on my side. Suffered a bruised ankle, but for the most part I got up and laughed it off. I live in a rural area so there was no one around to see me make a fool of myself.

Damage: The trusty Forza took the crash like a trooper. It never stopped running and there was only some minor scuffing to the lower left foot panel (which I will replace). I got lucky there was only dirt and sand off the embankment. In my twenty years of riding, this marks my first time ever laying down one of my bikes. They say at least once in your lifetime, it WILL happen to every rider. Here's hoping it is the first and last. But to think it could have easily been avoided if I had just adjusted my riding speed for the night time. Lesson learned.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Re: Took my first spill

Post by tbln930 »

Wow. Glad you are ok. Yes - I don't really ride much at night except returning at dusk sometimes and avoid rain most of the time and stay rural and avoid traffic. With careful defensive riding it definitely improves the odds. IMO riding at night in the rain in urban traffic is insane.

Just did a 2 hour lunch ride (work from home). Leaves are just starting to change. Just south of your neighborhood. ;)

2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Seems I can't logon without someone's been rolling around on the shoulder. Glad you managed the fall as well as you did and Forza is OK too. Nice piece of driving sir, now join the famous crash survivors exclusive club and PLEASE let it be your last spill.

Please answer the poll cause DAHAM! http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5150
Attachments
mac&chief3.jpg
mac&chief3.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

tbln930 wrote:Wow. Glad you are ok. Yes - I don't really ride much at night except returning at dusk sometimes and avoid rain most of the time and stay rural and avoid traffic. With careful defensive riding it definitely improves the odds. IMO riding at night in the rain in urban traffic is insane.

Just did a 2 hour lunch ride (work from home). Leaves are just starting to change. Just south of your neighborhood. ;)

Beautiful down there, (S)MSU alumni here. Ride safe always!
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

homie wrote:Seems I can't logon without someone's been rolling around on the shoulder. Glad you managed the fall as well as you did and Forza is OK too. Nice piece of driving sir, now join the famous crash survivors exclusive club and PLEASE let it be your last spill.

Please answer the poll cause DAHAM! http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5150
Thanks, was doing 60mph before I (sort of) entered a 90 degree turn. Applied the brakes waaaay too late. I really jammed them but I never entered a skid. Quick thinking made me realize just going off the road altogether was safer. Had there been loose gravel, I would surely have road rash.