Accuracy of 2015 MPG display?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Accuracy of 2015 MPG display?

Post by Eiron »

Just curious if anyone has been comparing the accuracy of the 2015 MPG display with Fuelly and/or manual MPG calculations?
I've only tracked two tanks so far, but both were about 10 MPG higher on the Honda display than they were on Fuelly and when calculated manually. :?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Accuracy of 2015 MPG display?

Post by iceman »

Hi. Since new and ever since, I've found the '15 PCX MPG indication to be very accurate going from 'near the brim' till just after flashing single bar comes on and within a few mpg of the real figures - litres in and trip miles (reset each time). So, the MPG is quite good although I doubt it can ever be %100 accurate owing to sensor location, fuel in each time, position of bike (lean, flatness of where it's parked).
I've got from 127.x mpg (worse case winter fuel and below zero weather) to a best of 147.x mpg (summer fuel and warm weather - some months back). My average since owning the bike May '14 till about 2 weeks ago is 135mpg (on fuelly). If I get 140mpg true (honest figures from litres in/trip), the built in gauge will show me about 135-138) so not bad at all.
The built in gauge is a guide to efficiency of the bike and how it's ridden - it's never going to be completely accurate and I doubt and car/bike had a truly accurate gauge within a few percent. The display, or mine, often goes a bit wild when reset and fuel topped up (very low or very high readings) but soon settles down after a while and gets more accurate as it has more date to go on.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Thanks iceman. Maybe I just need more time & more fill-ups to get an accurate trend.
Do you know if the Euro PCX125 & the US PCX150 share the same display & software?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Sorry, no I don't. Not sure if the US model shares the same size/shape tank as the 125. Very rarely my MPG gauge has briefly shown 80mpg or once 350+mpg!, but it soon stabilised to a more accurate figure.

My exceptional mpg and great ride is using some of the most convenient to get (for me) and cheapest fuel too - Asda (read walmart) normal unleaded 97 RON fuel (not the super higher RON kind as it's a waste and no better for the PCX despite what some people say).
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by fantasy2c »

My 2015 us model with 800 miles has averaged around 10mpg higher on the on board computer than hand calculated
2015 pcx with NYC variator and faceplate and 13g NYC rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Just a thought...it's possible that the MPG display is set to UK Miles...

I have a similar issue with the counter on my Jag...It counts in UK miles, not US miles.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

There's no such thing as a US or UK mile, it's one mile which is the same.

1 Imperial Gallon however ~ 1.2 US Gallons
1 US Gallon ~ 3.78 litres
1 Imperial Gallon ~ 4.54 litres
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

That's what I meant. Brain had a fart
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

My comp is quite accurate. Within 0.1 l/100km .
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

You don't think Honda would program it to exaggerate the MPG, do you? Say it ain't so! ;)

I don't sweat the mileage figures, anyway. It's good, it's about 100 US mpg--who cares if it's 101, or 103, or 99, or ....?
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Bash On! wrote:You don't think Honda would program it to exaggerate the MPG, do you? Say it ain't so! ;)

I don't sweat the mileage figures, anyway. It's good, it's about 100 US mpg--who cares if it's 101, or 103, or 99, or ....?

Exactly
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Bash On! wrote:You don't think Honda would program it to exaggerate the MPG, do you? Say it ain't so! ;)
Sorry, but I've come to appreciate Honda's attention to detail. This isn't some marketing wonk getting lazy & using last year's picture in this year's sales brochure. It's Honda's On Board Computer telling me my calculated Miles Per Gallon. Is the speedometer 10% off, too? Or the odometer? They're all controlled by the same computer ....

We're not talking about 2% difference, we're talking about a 10% difference. That's huge.
And, given Honda's reputation for quality & innovation, it's very disappointing.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

fantasy2c wrote:My 2015 us model with 800 miles has averaged around 10mpg higher on the on board computer than hand calculated
Thanks fantasy2c, that helps!
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

wojtek_pl wrote:My comp is quite accurate. Within 0.1 l/100km .
Hmmm... another Euro 125 with a precise OBD MPG ...
Thanks wojtek_pl!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Eiron wrote:We're not talking about 2% difference, we're talking about a 10% difference. That's huge.
And, given Honda's reputation for quality & innovation, it's very disappointing.
Honda can't legislate for users failing to fill the tank correctly.
It is perfectly possible for your paper calculations to be correct and for the gauge to be correct at the same time.
User calculations are determined by the amount of fuel added by the user, the gauge accurately measures the amount of fuel injected into the engine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

gn2 wrote:
Eiron wrote:We're not talking about 2% difference, we're talking about a 10% difference. That's huge.
Honda can't legislate for users failing to fill the tank correctly.
It is perfectly possible for your paper calculations to be correct and for the gauge to be correct at the same time.
User calculations are determined by the amount of fuel added by the user, the gauge accurately measures the amount of fuel injected into the engine.
Everything so far indicates UK/EU ones seem to be in agreement give or take a small amount and all reported US ones out by a big margin - how does that tie-in with 'users failing to fill the tank correctly' other than some difference across seas. If users reset the trip each time, add a known amount of fuel and cover large distances between fill-ups then that is an accurate way to say how many mpg is used.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

US ones being out could be down to a difference in units.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Exactly what I was trying to say gn2. It's probably reading in UK gallons, which my Jag also seems to do. It makes sense as the 125 and 150 most likely share the same electronics (no poiint in engineering something different for such similar bikes), and the lions share of pcxs aren't sold in the U.S..
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

gn2 wrote:Honda can't legislate for users failing to fill the tank correctly.
Uh .... thanks? :lol:

Yes, I started by saying that I've only run thru 2 tanks (approx 400 miles) so far. I admitted (before I finished my question) that I'm basing my question on limited data. I'm going to keep track, but my initial calculations had me curious.

Also, if it were a US Gallon vs Imperial Gallon difference, it would be a 20% MPG difference! o_O
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

What if you have the meter set to km/litres (mine came set to km/litres or something like that so I changed it). Not sure if that makes things more accurate and may be a pain to get used to :) - still strange Honda cannot correct the s/w or such to make bikes sold in different countries read correctly.