How old is too old for a drive belt?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tbonestone
Year: 2011
Color: Red

How old is too old for a drive belt?

Post by Tbonestone »

Update in my 2011 - 42mi wonder steal of a deal PCX 125

It took a bit; but I got the scoot to the "first service" mileage of 600mi, had it serviced at my mechanic of choice (they give me one hell of a hookup/discount for my loyalty)
Now the upgrade bug bit me again. I'm looking on webike at the Daytona drive pulley or a KN planning drive pulley. The belt has 600mi on it. Do i really need to buy a new drive belt too?
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Re: How old is too old for a drive belt?

Post by dkazzed »

Belts last at least 6,000 miles in these small cc scoots.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Bidlack78
Year: 2013

Post by Bidlack78 »

Mine just turned 5,000 miles. I think the manual says 10,000 miles change. I'll have to double check.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Did you buy the Malossi variator and what do you expect to get from adding the Daytona or KN pulley half?
Tbonestone
Year: 2011

Post by Tbonestone »

I ended up with a deal on an NCY variator. No aftermarket clutch. I'm looking for a little more top speed and better acceleration. This is a date night cruiser. I also have ambitions for a short touring adventures around 100-150mi ending up at a hotel or something with the wife.

I am looking for rollers to fit in the variator. It seems 10-11gr weights liven things up. My PCX is the first generation 125, so any improvement advice that keeps things reliable is welcomed.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

Your engine is very similar to my Vario125. Check this out: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3189
Please read the whole posts especially page 1 & 2. Mill/File no more than 0,5-0,7mm. For touring use 15gr as your base weight and then adjust from there. My favourite is 18gr (better fuel economy, faster to get to the top speed) because I'm only 62kg
Dr. Pulley slider is my favourite because even when its worn, the effects to performance is not too significant. And they really wears out evenly. Periodic shuffling of the sliders would result in better wears too. I do it in every oil change (5000km)